Bersa Thunder 380 Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by KQuark, May 14, 2006.

1. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

I'm going to start putting "Maybe Not Recommend You Believe Mr. N" on each of your posts if you keep it up, LOL! Why ya gotta keep busting my chops? Admit it, you got ahold of defective gun, as in individual. You should've tried another one and since you didn't you're hardly what I would call an expert with the pistol. One bad gun doesn't make the entire line useless. Could of been your gunsmith didn't know how to correct the problem. I know you're doing this because you enjoy the ocassional TROLL through the forum. We can tolerate it I think.

2. namara

namara Well-Known Member

:)

Sir you may be right about my "gunsmith". I will forward information to you about him. AS for the bad copy? You are maybe absolutely posatutely one hundred peecnet correct.

Namara <-- Expert.techspert . chockin smoker don't you think the joker laughs at you.

Goo GA Ga Chooo.

LOL

Namara <--- copy all that I did I be ten seven on the side knees in the breeze and listening. Good numbers to you and yours we be down we be key off. Go head channel pick it up........

3. epwrangler

epwrangler Well-Known Member

Hey tig do you do stick and gas and mig too? Ever done any welding on steel guns?

4. tigwelder56

You bet! I had a fabrication shop and worked on the road doing high and low iron work. That involved stick and Mig work. I did a lot of mold repair work in the shop and that required a lot of ferrous Tig work. Then after two decades I got tired of the heat and took a job working in an Aerospace facility where I specialized in Tig work, that was all Aluminum and Stainless work. I always loved stick welding though, it's an art as far as I'm concerned. I really enjoyed all aspects of Welding except for working inside steel containers here in the state of Florida!! I know what a hotdog inside a microwave feels like now!! LOL......

Tig

5. sauceja

sauceja Member

First off. Mine is technically not a thunder 380.

I have a model 95 Bersa .380 caliper. But I know it is the same gun.

Also my model 95 is 7 years old and I still keep it in active condition. From range time to loaded in my house.

I do have a .40 cal beretta that made its way as #1 home defense gun. While a little big to conceal for a small body I have the .380 fits fine anywhere I want to conceal.

Accuracy is key like said already. I would have no problems if I had to put 3 rounds center mass on someone with this gun. Nor would I have doubts of a double tap and 1 in the head.

But thats why I practice with ALL of my guns.

Second, why I bought my Bersa:

SAFETY

Can't fire without a magazine in. Double action. Safety lever with decocker.

My beretta is a 96G and has a decocker only and can't be fired if slide is pushed in, No other safety features. Not a very safe gun but again highly accurate.

I rate this a bargain buy that is good for any family bearing household. While maybe not a top choice for primary or only gun, but definately fun and cheap to shoot. Also concealable and hideable.

I will never get rid of mine and plan to teach my oldest kid about gun safety with it very shortly.

Not sorry for long post.

6. tigwelder56

Nothing but appreciation for the long post! I'm very happy to hear your story about the Bersa. It sounds like you've got a real sweet handgun there! The 380 is certainly an adequate defensive round, the desire for something larger with a higher muzzle energy would be desireable if one had an immediate choice but life doesn't always work that way! I carry a 380 or a 32 acp on a regular basis. They are a worthy defensive round and a saying that I like to use is: "Shot placement trumps caliber everytime". Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum!

Tig

7. wvshooter

wvshooter Member

Thunder 380 duotone update.

I'm liking this gun more and more. Probably have 500 to 700 rounds of different brands of FMJ thru it with the occasional hollow point rounds. I had one stove pipe recently and one FTF shortly after purchase but the FTF was during very rapid fire and I'm sure I didn't give it time to cycle. The stove pipe was probably during rapid fire. I practice some rapid fire every time I go to the range.

Speaking of firing, the gun gets back on target so quickly due to low recoil that accurate four shot burst are no problem. If you use +p hollow points as your carry ammo I think you're going to be in pretty good shape when it comes to defending yourself. I would hate to get hit with even one of those.

This is what I'm carrying every day now. I like having a safety and a decocker which makes it safe IMO to have one in the chamber. One in the chamber and seven in the mag should be plenty for almost any sitiuation. I do have a Kahr CW9 which is identical in size to the Bersa. I don't carry it because IMO there must be a round in the chamber during carry and the Kahr is DAO with no safety. Just don't like the idea of a 9mm hollow point entering my leg.

My wife shoots lots of rounds thru the bersa when we go to the range and has had no problems. Her carry is a pretty little Taurus .38 special ultralite with gold appointments, yea it's pretty, but it has about double the recoil of the bersa.

In summary I have no concerns whatsoever with the reliability of this handsome little pistol and have every confidence that it will go bang accurately if I ever have to pull it out in a hurry. I am carrying it in the watch pocket of my jeans with the gun canted foreward. It conceals well under a T-shirt and is invisible under a hawaiian type shirt or any other shirt that hangs loosely.

Update: I finally got a Don Hume holster for my Kahr CW9 and with the Kahr's trigger shrouded in the holster I'm now comfortable carrying the Kahr with a round in the chamber. The Bersa is nice for carry but the Kahr is just as small and packs 9mm.

1 month later: I guess you could say I'm changeable. I just ordered an IWB holster for my SW Sigma .40 and will be carrying it for a while. Don't be too hard on me I'm just like everyone else on this forum. I LOVE GUNS!!!

8. tigwelder56

Hey Mountie! I liked your post, very descriptive. I've always felt the Bersa is worth more than it costs! It has proven to be a very reliable pistol at a great price. You mentioned having a few problems with hollowpoints and some FTF's. I have found that when you find a round, HP or FMJ, doesn't matter, what matters is what you're planning on carrying, get out a set of digital calipers and measure the OAL of the rounds that function flawlessly. The ammo that fails is generally going to be off from the reliable load. When you find the OAL that functions well in your small auto, stick with it. It doesn't sound like you're having too many FTF issues but it will always improve your pistols feed function if you take a dremel and polish the feed ramp bright and shiny! It will usually make a big improvement. You mentioned using a +P round in your Bersa, what round are you using? That can also make a big difference in performance. Take care and GO MOUNTIES!!!

Tig

9. tobster

tobster New Member

I have the Duo-tone and love it. One of my buddies had one and was impressed with it. I only paid 219.99 new. I was looking for something my wife can shoot that didn't have a whole lot of recoil. She likes it a lot. The only thing I wish it came with was a extra clip and case.

10. epwrangler

I once had a Sterling 380 in SS It was a great gun but to big for the round. I wish I had kept it now. It never malfunctioned.

11. fuzzy1911

fuzzy1911 Well-Known Member

i dont carry so i dont have to depend on this thing saving my life and at home i use a 357 loaded with 38 ammo but just for fun i like it. And if it jams up on me it's not a big deal by the way it does not jam.................YET!!!

12. epwrangler

You have the best of both worlds then. Now I carry a Russian Makarov 380 on occasion.

13. namara

namara Well-Known Member

Namara <---------- Don't like it!

Namara <---- Don't listen to Namara ... Psst Nuts Ya know!!

LOL

THIS GUN SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The above was expressly the opinion of the poster and not the network. The network cannot be reached at any time on any planet

14. tigwelder56

Once you have made a review and placed your positive or negative rating feel free to make comments. But it would be appreciated if you wouldn't post negative ratings on a continual basis. Once is plenty, please don't unnecessarily run a firearms rating down because you don't like it. Better yet, if you don't like it and have made your point well known, don't bother returning to simply bash the weapon. Please cooperate and follow our requests. Thank you.

15. namara

namara Well-Known Member

Better yet, if you don't like it and have made your point well known, don't bother returning to simply bash the weapon. Please cooperate and follow our requests. Thank you. ..

Your Welcome! The gun sucks. It is not safe. Please note that there will be no rating generated from this post. It would be a negative, highly negative, rating. Seems we only want positive ratings around here. Also all great and elated highass I have tried to unsubscribe to the web site and all the forums contained within. I seem to be having a problem with it. Please as soon as possible REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST. and also your LIST SERVER.

I would not be a member of any group that would have me.

Namara<---- When they come to take your guns, line up right behind him,and smile fer da camera

16. tigwelder56

It's unfortunate that you would accept a responsible request as a personal attack on yourself. If you have a problem understanding why we don't encourage ratings bashing, then you simply have a problem understanding the reason for it. If you're asked to stop running red lights and are ticketed for it each time, do you continue to do it because you disagree with the law or do you do it because you refuse to understand the purpose for the law? We have a ratings system for the purpose of providing a true representation of the weapon. It isn't here to provide the biased unilateral opinion of Namara. Get on over your desire to spread hatred for something you personally don't like. There are many more people out here that actually like the handgun, me included. If you got a bad sample, well that's something you should've dealt with at the time. That's why they wrote lemon laws, occasionally there will be a troublesome model. If you truly would like me to remove you from the website I will. You need to go to your profile and unsubscribe from each thread you are receiving and stop the delivery of each one. I will then remove you from the forum. You let me know if that is your wish. I just want it documented that you are asking for this on your own free will. Thank you and it has been a pleasure.

Tig

17. namara

namara Well-Known Member

We have a ratings system for the purpose of providing a true representation of the weapon. It isn't here to provide the biased unilateral opinion of Namara.

18. tigwelder56

Immaturity really doesn't become you Namara! With all your credentials the one thing that you're missing is understanding. The rating system is part of everyone's membership and is here to hopefully represent the opinions of those individuals that own the weapon and is hopefully accurate enough to provide confidence to those considering buying one or the information to decide not to. But when we have people that have no other reason than to regularly post disparaging remarks and rate the firearm with continual poor ratings in an attempt to ruin the reputation of the gun, then I have no choice but to put a stop to it. I asked politely on any number of occasions and evidentially my requests weren't taken seriously. Out of your 80 posts 28 of them were negative posts with continual low ratings, that comes to 35% of your participation (posts) on this forum directed at bashing and trashing the Bersa 380. Very childish after being asked to end it. This isn't a playground for narrow minded sportsmen to bash weapons they disapprove of. Like I said, bash them and rate them poorly once and then move on. You're absolutely right about one thing, this forum isn't here for your biased, unilateral repetitive bashing of firearms or members.

19. gunnutz

gunnutz Well-Known Member

I continue to enjoy my bersa..............

20. opph20

opph20 Member

Finally got my pistol permit the other day. in new york state it can take a while. my first purchase was the bertha. I originally wanted the xd .40, but wifey said it was to much. Maybe i'll get for my birthday. i took it out friday and put 70 rounds down range, 50 fmj, 20 jhp, i had two ftf with Blazer Brass. It it didn't happen until i loaded the last clip of the fmj. You could see were the tip of the bullet caught the feed ramp. After i finished the 50 rounds of fmj, i loaded up the jhp wich cycled without a problem. I can't really say how accurate the gun is on paper, but the cans and bottles i was shooting at were definitly going down with out a promblem from about 30 feet or so. As soon as i can get to the range and see what it does on paper. I'll post my findings. I would also like to say the gun feels great in the hand, and comes back on target quickly. do to it's lack of recoil i suppose. I would also like to thank everyone who posted a comment on this pistol.. It really helped in my final decision.