Bersa Thunder 380 Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by KQuark, May 14, 2006.

1. VBShooter

VBShooter Member

Shark, first thought is a bad mag. Do you have more than one? if so then the question is does it do that with the other(s)? If it is a bad mag contact Bersa, they will send another out to FREE ifitis defective. Also what ammo are you using? I have heard of some having this issue with the "cheap" ammo.

I aven't had any issues with my 380, and my confidence in it is very high if I need it.

2. sharkscue

sharkscue Member

VNShooter, I have only the original clip that came with the gun. I have shot many different brands of ammo and the same result. I mostly shoot Winchester target but have used others. I will take your advice and see about replacing the mag. I am still under the 1 year warranty. Thanks for your input. Shark

3. VBShooter

VBShooter Member

Shark, go to http://www.bersa.com/ for any other info and if you want to pick up another mag. Once you get that mag issue taken care of, you will be more than happy and secure with your Bersa. I liked mine enough to get the Thunder 45!

4. ulgydog56

ulgydog56 Well-Known Member

try the after market extended mag 9+1 i think you,ll like it..............

5. almcfatter

almcfatter New Member

I have an after market mag made by "Pro-Mag", fails to feed anything except ball }fmj{ on a regular basis; Bersa mag that came with the pistol feeds anything always, never a problem.

6. donavonmaxwell

donavonmaxwell New Member

I have a Pro mag that works fine in my Thunder .380(7rd.) ....maybe you got a bad one My gun eats up FMJ,HP of all diff brands....

7. KGK73

KGK73 New Member

Never had a single problem with my Bersa.

8. Dharmabumz

Dharmabumz Well-Known Member

I just tried my first trip outside the house in shorts and t-shirt...carrying my Sig P220. My wife gave me her best "Where do you think you're going with that huge bulge? speech. So I went to the gun show looking for something smaller, slimmer and found a great price on a Thunder 380.

Thanks guys for these great posts. It helps me feel I got a good CC weapon at a reasonable price. I'll drop by the range tomorrow and start breaking it in. Wish me luck.

9. Dharmabumz

Took my new Thunder .380 out for a spin at the local range. I have a leather fanny pack it fits in like it should. Much lighter than my Sig P220. I put 50 rds of Win fmj flat noses through the pipe. Not a hitch.No FTE, no FTF, just steady firing for this first box. I took note of some of the reviews here and cleaned and oiled it thoroughly before and after firing. Effortless field strip and re-assembly. This baby is a keeper!!!

10. John_Doe

John_Doe Active Member

Bought a new Bersa 380 today. Model ThunderDUO like in photo #5. It was 249.00 + tax and the shop threw in an extra mag they had laying around for free! I picked up a box of Hydra Shoks and a box of AE FMJ also. The total for the gun, the extra mag and 2 boxes of ammo as $308.00. I went in to look at the Walther PK380. It was about 120.00 more. After handling both guns, I actually liked the Bersa better. I purchased it for my daughter, a 9mm is too much for her. I am hoping this will be one she can handle. I will post the results of our trip to the range after we go. I will wait to rate the gun until then. I can't wait to shoot this gun.

11. ulgydog56

john just remember to have your daughter hold the gun next to her chest when she works the slide......4 a little gun the spring is pretty hard.......

12. Dharmabumz

Good choice John. My lady likes the feel of the one I got recently. Dog's right, the spring is a bit stiff. The action in mine feels a bit "gravelly" i.e. like it needs a few rounds to smooth itself out, but it shoots nice, feeds good. Lots of luck to both of you. BTW, last 2 gun shows here, prices seemed to be going up on thunder 380's; dealers said it's popularity is increasing from word of mouth.

13. USMC66

USMC66 Member

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 that I use for carry. It is small, reliable and would definately take the fight out of a BG. It has a lot more on it than a gun in this price range should. It goes with me every where it can legally.

14. FryGuy011

FryGuy011 Active Member

Would anyone know what the life span of these guns are and if they are rated for +p?

15. Will_Carry

Will_Carry Well-Known Member

I don't know about how many rounds a Bersa can fire before it is "worn out". They are good, well-made pistols though. I did talk to a gun manufacturer about 380 +P ammunition. He did not think too highly of plus pee ammo for a 380. He siad something to the effect " +P is over priced ammo that doesn't really give you any more stopping power than standard pressure 380 ammo. It's just a way for ammo makers to make more money while giving shooters a false sense of security." I think he was trying to tell me that his pistols aren't rated for +P ammo. I ain't sure.

I shoot PMC Starfire and Glaser PowerBall in my 380. The only +P ammo I have is 38sp+P and I bought it on sale at Wallmart. I may be an old fool but I feel like if I need more power, I'll get a bigger gun. BUT I if I ever have to use a 380 I'll probably wish it was +P, the bad guy won't know the difference.

I have heard very knowledgable pistol fighters talk trash about the 380 cartridge. Say if you get attacked by a drug crazed zombie it won't work. yada yada yada. Baby Face Nelson was shot 17 times with 45acp and 00 buch shot and was still able to kill 2 G-men, get in his car and drive away.

He died later of his wounds.

16. RudeDog

RudeDog Member

I've carried a BT380 for a couple of years now. I use Speer gold dot or Hornady TAP as a carry ammo. Aguila HP are good for all purpose. I also have a Thunder Pro 9. Wonderful firearms, well made - reliable and affordable.

17. ulgydog56

federial hydroshock is very good also ,as for +p ammo look at the charts ball and cap .380 is approx 195# of energy,compare your ammo to the +p ammo if its lower than the +p then its worth it to buy.i have not seen balis charts on any +p.380? has anybody seen the balistics on the +p.380.....ps. the+p38 makes approx 20% more energy than a 38 special....................

18. Dharmabumz

Hey Will & all;

I read that the barrel being less than 4 inches doesn't burn off all the powder quick enuff, so there is a bit of recoil. I sold my Bersa, but it's recoil reminded me of a 9mm Makarov I used to carry. Also read that Argentine FBI was carrying Bersa so it must have some endurance.

I do like shooting them.

19. Gladius

Gladius Member

As I've mentioned in the past, my Bersa Thunder .380 took some breaking in. I was NEVER inclined to replace it as I've seen some different firearms (same model) from the same manufacturer work totally different right out of the box. I really enjoy mine now and carry it daily. Of course, after the fifth box of ammo over 2000 rounds ago, I've not had any issues. Great little gun, just keep it clean and feed it with the right ammo.

P.S. Semper Fi, usmc66.

20. VBShooter

VBShooter Member

I have fed my Baby Bersa Remington, UMC, and Winchester White Box FMJ and JHP. It eats them all up. Recently I started taking a good look at different self defense ammo. (other than just ordinary JHP) Some GNs I have talked to have told me that the extra power of +P may actually be a negative due to the extra force holding the bullet together, preventing it from expanding enough to create a sufficiant wound cavity. I have found some reports where that was a trueism.

The two self defense rounds that I have been testing are Federal Champion Low Recoil and Hornady Critical Defense. Niether of them are +P rounds. Baby Bersa handled them both without any issues (it maybe expensive testing, but how much is your life worth to you?). I decided to go with the Hornady Critical Defense. I carry it not only in the .380 (Baby Bersa works great under a t-shirt) but I got it for the 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 as well.

One thing I was always told was that when it can to a firefight, caliber and power isn't as important as control and bullet placement!