Beretta 92 Reviews

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by SOMarsh, Apr 12, 2006.

1. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

I just read an article in this months Shooting Times. It referenced a competition called "The All Army Matches". It's quite an article and if there are any of our military brothers and sisters reading this, I'd like your take on something they said. One part of the competition is with the M 9 pistol, which is the military designation for the Model 92 pistol. What totally blows me away is that the distance to target, a Type D silhouette, is 500 yards! That's not a typo, 500 yards!! This is not from a rest either, it's from a sitting position without a spotter. How in the hell can they expect someone to hit a target at 500 yards with an off the rack 9mm pistol? I don't care what make of pistol, 500 yards seems like a ridiculous distance for a stock service pistol competition. If anyone has any additional information on this competition please share it. I'm very curious what kind of performance they get at that distance? My first thought was what a waste of ammunition! Can you even see the target using those stock sights. It just seems a little hard to believe that there would even be a category for this caliber, weapon and distance!

2. aalewis28

aalewis28 New Member

Sounds like those 92's might be worth a little more than just anchors for the navy, eh tig?

3. aalewis28

aalewis28 New Member

Sounds like those 92's might be worth a little more than just anchors for the navy, eh tig?

4. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Well-Known Member

Just because the gun has range doesn't mean it is reliable or accurate.

6. jvv

jvv Well-Known Member

check out my newly posted photo

7. Ice4Blood

Ice4Blood Member

I have 5 Berettas and one is a 92SF Inox with a factory crimson trace.. I also have more than a few other makes in most calibers but it's the 92SF I want to focus on here. This is a damn great handgun. It is extremely accurate, it's reliable beyond any expectations, (over 1000 rounds and zero malfunctions), it's easier to take down than my Glocks which I also love, and it's a thing of beauty. But it is not my gun of choice to use for concealed carry because of it's size and so what? I didn't buy it for that purpose and I frankly I can't imagine that anyone else would either I also own a Colt 6" Anaconda and a S & W 6" model 29. Both 44 magnums and neither were bought for concealed carry but they're still both great revolvers. I carry a Beretta PX4 40 caliber in a DeSantis M8 and it conceals under an open shirt over a tee, a Guayabera shirt or any sort of jacket perfectly. Seems to me that it isn't the size of the 92SF that's the problem. The problem is asking something of the 92SF that it wasn't intended to do.

8. aalewis28

aalewis28 New Member

well said ice! I've now cycled 7 or 800 various rounds through my newer 92 (no steel casings though). It has proved just as flawless as any glock out there. not to mention the better and more consistent ejection. I've been known to be a skeptic, but the fact is gentlemen, this is a great pistol. Undispuited.

9. jvv

jvv Well-Known Member

well... to each his own. tha's all i can say

10. hammerdrop

hammerdrop Well-Known Member

i owned a beretta 92fs, reliable. but was not to impressed with how accurate it was, with three different loads. also a little big for me, as a ccw pistol. but maybe ideal for some people.

11. blazingangel01

blazingangel01 New Member

Best hand gun i have ever used now and in the military. Easy to clean easy to use, never fails or jams love it.

12. Sapper

Sapper Member

One of my favorites. Reliable, good looking, smooth action and easy disassembly. Shoot one and your hooked, a little big for a CC but would be nice in a shoulder holster. Find one new or used it doesn't matter because it will always work. Its like a Dodge Slant 6 indistructible. Glock who?

13. ANTI-XD

ANTI-XD Well-Known Member

Is there anyone who knows if there is any ammo that won't feed in a beretta ??

14. texn695

texn695 Active Member

My 92F is over 15 years old and next give me any problems. One of the easiest guns to take down and put back together.

I carry this as a daily carry along with my Springfield 1911's and my XD 45 5" as my daily carry also.

I don't know what people see in those Glocks. One of the only guns that can go off in your pants.

I own 4 Beretta's ( 9mm, 45, 380 and a Storm 45 )and the rest are 3 Springfield's (2- 1911's & a M14) plus a Bersa 380. All go off without a problem.

Maintaine your weapons and and use good ammo and they will go bang.

Curtis from TEXAS.

15. texn695

texn695 Active Member

My 92F is over 15 years old and next give me any problems. One of the easiest guns to take down and put back together.

I carry this as a daily carry along with my Springfield 1911's and my XD 45 5" as my daily carry also.

I don't know what people see in those Glocks. One of the only guns that can go off in your pants.

I own 4 Beretta's ( 9mm, 45, 380 and a Storm 45 )and the rest are 3 Springfield's (2- 1911's & a M14) plus a Bersa 380. All go off without a problem.

Curtis from TEXAS.

16. texn695

texn695 Active Member

Curtis from TEXAS.

17. texn695

texn695 Active Member

Curtis from TEXAS.

18. texn695

texn695 Active Member

Curtis from TEXAS.

19. texn695

texn695 Active Member

Curtis from TEXAS.

20. literaltrance

literaltrance Member

I personally have never owned this gun as it's too heavy/large for my liking, but I have to say it a quite impressive weapon. I have fired two different versions of this pistol through three friends/owners, and everytime it is a pleasure to shoot. One thing this weapon does, possibly better than any other out there, is provide VERY easy followup shots. The heavy frame coupled with a quite forgiving 9mm recoil makes this pistol king of the hill when it comes to fullsize rapid fire.

An interesting note, and one that cannot be stressed enough....

I finally convinced my brother to go to the range with me recently. I, along with a work buddy, brought a nice collection of modern handguns as we always do (glock, XD, H&K, Sig, 2 Ruger revolvers, one S&W revolver, and of course, a Beretta 92). When my brother finally had a go, he was having a hell of a time hitting anything (he's not a big fan of handguns, thus his experience with such is almost nil). He mentioned that almost all felt uncomfortable in his hands, whether it be the recoil, or the sights, or something else which was just throwing off his game.

When he made it around to the Beretta, it was like night and day. Not one complaint. In fact, you could see how he just locked into his target and plinked away. Before I knew it, he was consistently hitting a milk jug at 70+ yards. Sure, maybe 75%, but at 70 yards with virtually NO handgun experience?

The moral of the story is, nothing is going to make you a better shooter than finding the gun that just feels right in your hands. I am contemplating getting my brother one of these for home defense, but I think I'm gonna have to work on his dislike of handguns first. Then again, maybe if I get him one, he'll get over that dislike rather quickly. He is, afterall, QUITE impressive with it once he gets it going :)