686 Plus 3\" 7 round

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by kristym, Oct 4, 2010.

1. kristym

kristym Member

I'm a new firearms owner, took a few lessons with my 686+ and love it. My question is: Where to find a comfortable holster for a woman w/carry license? I don't like waist or belt or ankle holsters..too heavy. Have looked at Galco and found a shoulder set and purse but still not sure what would be comfy w/o trying it on. Any women out there with this .357 magnum 36.8 oz. gun?

2. Will_Carry

Will_Carry Well-Known Member

My hat is off to you Kristy! You own a fine piece of hardware.

I tell anyone who will listen that the .357 magnum is an ideal self defense weapon. The 686 may be the best of the best.

I have heard instructors warn women about keeping pistols in their purses. The thought being that a purse snatcher could take your purse and your handgun away from you. I don't know, I don't carry a purse. They do make purses with all sorts of pockets.

When I got my concealed carry liscense I tried everything before I settled on an Inside-The-Waistband holster.

Congratulations on your 686. The .357 is the top one shot stopper of all pistol rounds. 38special +P ain't bad either. It is a bad ass self defense weapon. Just the sight of it will make a bad guy wet his pants.

3. Will_Carry

Will_Carry Well-Known Member

My hat is off to you Kristy! You own a fine piece of hardware.

I tell anyone who will listen that the .357 magnum is an ideal self defense weapon. The 686 may be the best of the best.

I have heard instructors warn women about keeping pistols in their purses. The thought being that a purse snatcher could take your purse and your handgun away from you. I don't know, I don't carry a purse. They do make purses with all sorts of pockets.

When I got my concealed carry liscense I tried everything before I settled on an Inside-The-Waistband holster.

Congratulations on your 686. The .357 is the top one shot stopper of all pistol rounds. 38special +P ain't bad either. It is a bad ass self defense weapon. Just the sight of it will make a bad guy wet his pants.

4. neverenough

neverenough Well-Known Member

Hi kristym.....What Will Carry said....ditto from me. Grrreat choice.

I think you would like a vertical shoulder holster to carry your 686. A shoulder rig is well suited to carry Smith K and L frame revolvers. I use one for my Smith 329PD and can't say enough about it's comfort, concealment and "ready for action" advantages....

Anyhow, you may want to take a look at Uncle Mikes Vertical holster setups. Well made, reasonably priced and well designed.

neverenough

5. kristym

kristym Member

I went to UncleMikes.com and was glad to see some cheaper pricing for shoulder holsters LOL...

Which one do you recommend?

I was also looking at Amazon.com for a waist belly band holster...anyone tried that?

Thanks for the responses, all of you!

6. neverenough

Hey..(again)...kristym. Maybe take a look at the "Vertical Pro-Pack" model. This is one of the styles I have in use. I would say one of the best features of this setup is its' total adjustability to fit you well. (Kinda just have to work with it initially to dial it in). Has a speedloader pouch on the "off" side that can be used for backup rounds....or?

A really good source for the Unc. Mikes gear is OpticsPlanet.com. They have always been excellent with orders I have placed.....good pricing and prompt service.

Hmmmm....a spokesperson for U. Mike and Opt. Planet....think of the cash rolling in....Oh, ok back to reality!!

neverenough

7. kristym

kristym Member

OK I ordered the Vert Pro Pak from OpticsPlanet. Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it works out!

8. neverenough

Roger that...You're going to like it for the 686! If you have someone give you an assist with adjusting the fit, life is easier. ( I usually end up doing a solo adjust...you know, put it on, take it off, adjust, put it on......).

neverenough

9. kristym

kristym Member

Thanks for the tip! I am excited. Just hope that it fits well, and my boobs don't get in the way HAHA!

10. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

If I gain much more weight I'm gonna have a great pair of "Man Boobs"! Maybe I can help you out after that, lol!! We haven't had too many Boob interferences here before. We'll do everything we can nonetheless :)

11. neverenough

ahhh....ummmm....good one kristym! I don't believe they will. According to my calculations, the grips on your Smith should nestle right in...or under? Golly...(that is correct...golly) tigwelder is most comfy with his shoulder rigs, so yours should work great and be quite the fashion statement!

I'll be in my study (the garage) reviewing my calculations....

neverenough

12. kristym

kristym Member

Well it could be a problem, not being funny here! I mean on the draw of the gun, passing by or under the critters will be a close call.

13. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Kristym. Anyways, perhaps your boobs will get in the way but I would doubt it. Even then, better to have the gun there and available than in the car or house.

I always thought it would be possibly an advantage for a woman to keep a gun in that area anyways. I don't know if I could explain it right but lets say someone attacks, well, they may not find a woman protecting her breasts from an attacker as something to fear, until the gun is pulled out suddenly, you know? Put up a show like "oh no, please don't touch me there" type thing with arms hugging around them while hand is finding the butt of the gun.

Oh and I have a 686 SSR with 4inch barrel myself, though I got it with 6 shot instead of 7 for a couple different reasons. Love the gun, makes some real noise at the range, makes most people move away, hahaha. Anyways, hope to see you around the forum more.

14. neverenough

Hey kristym,.....I think once you get your new shoulder rig fitted, you will notice when you draw the Smith it will be a "forward and across your body" action that will easily clear the.....pups?.....

You most definately have a bunch of jacket weather out your way, so comfortable concealment should be good.

I've gone to my ankle holster the past few months. Something about going out to dinner bundled up in a jacket when it's 105 degrees kinda results in a bunch of "what the?" doubletake looks! (Maybe wearing mittens also would through em off)!

neverenough

15. kristym

kristym Member

Forward and across? I was also looking at the Horizontal vs. vertical but thinking it looked as if a heavy gun would fall out, so went with the vertical even tho' concerned about angle of draw.

16. neverenough

The forward and across motion, would be a weapon draw from the holster slightly up but more outwardly (is that a word?) in a direction @ 1 foot in front of the center of your body. It will be a natural thing once you have practiced a few draws.

So if you picture the Smith as it's barrel clears the holster, the grip and your hand will be about a foot directly centered and in front of you....

I'm thinking this is where a picture would be worth a thousand words....in my case maybe two thousand LOL!!

neverenough

17. tigwelder56

tigwelder56 Well-Known Member

Okay, I have to ask. Please don't take it as some sexist remark, it's not meant to be. I sounds like the "boys" are a concern for you and whether they will obstruct your draw. So, here goes ------ Just how big are the "boys"? That will help give us a mental picture of what you're trying to accomplish. They may actually conceal a horizontal holster much better than they would for a man. You may get better concealment with a vertical model anyway and be able to wear a baggy shirt. I find the horizontal rigs very hard to conceal under anything but a jacket.

18. kristym

kristym Member

I'm 5'9" and 40DD thanks for asking. I just feel I'll have to compensate for the direction of the pull due to that. Hoping to adjust the holster so it rides below the area of draw. Or should that be above? I dunno we'll see once I get it and adjust it.

19. kristym

kristym Member

Oh yes I am 61 years young :0)

20. neverenough

The Uncle Mikes setup will work kristym....the horizontal rigs work out better (I think) with smaller and lighter weaponry. But verticles are a super setup for bigger wheel guns. (again, under a jacket unless you're up in the hills camping etc.)

I'm betting all will work in harmony....and let me say GOOD for you. Middleaged and toteing one of the finest revolvers!!

neverenough