.40 S&W Dilemma

Discussion in 'Gun Chatter' started by SamFisher, Aug 3, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Well-Known Member

I do know what the recoil of a 9X19mm is like. >_>

2. agonist

agonist Well-Known Member

They'll both shoot great and serve you extremely well. Just buy the one you like more (looks, fit), you can't go wrong either way.

3. SamFisher

Oh don't worry agonist I am going to do just that with the CZ 75B. I already know what the XD feels like (the only polymer framed pistol that I tried that felt like it was steel made in my hands), and if the CZ 75B is anything like the Baby Eagle I am pretty sure I will go CZ. If not and I go with XD, I am still going to haggle the price some because I can get it from other dealers for a bit cheaper with the processing fee, shipping, and sales tax added in.

4. agonist

LEO: Law Enforcement Officer

I wasn't speaking of WD-40 as a cleaning agent for your gun but if you check out cleaners at gun shops they usually have one or more spray can cleaners with stems like WD-40 does so you can direct the spray into hard to reach areas. These dissolve residues rather quickly and you simply flush out the areas until clean then set it aside to dry. I believe Balustrol makes one as does Remington and others.

5. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

Everyone give Ag a pat on the head lmfao your learning.....

6. agonist

Hey! Watch the hair!

7. SamFisher

8. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

9. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Yes, I have a can of "Break Free CLP" that I use for quick type cleanups. It does a pretty good job if you just made a quick Range Stop, and only blew off a Box of 50. I guess I could use that for what I want to do as well. It does not seem like Glock feels it gets very dirty in those other areas, plus it lubricates as well. Even the guy at the Range told me "Never bother doing that"? It only leaves a slight coating of lubricant, so probably if I just Blew those area out with it, than let it dry, that would accomplish what I need to W/O disassembling the entire Gun. They do stress though never to lubricate the Firing Pin? Seems odd?

There are just too many damn tiny parts in that thing according to the pictures I see! I can picture Springs flying and pieces dropping all over, and if lucky enough to find them all, not knowing where they go! These are times are when Revolvers are nice! ##Any other ideas would be welcome.

10. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

I guess I should have asked if anyone here has a Glock, and what they do? But since I hadn't seen any mentioned in the Posts I read, I assumed most of you had other Weapons.

11. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

glock firing pin no lube huh think friction heat and lube they might not be able to take the heat might warp.

GLOCK4LIFE yer being summoned not in official mod capacity though

12. exhaust

exhaust Well-Known Member

I personally haven't totally detail stripped them yet, if your not comfortable doing it you could always have a gunsmith do it once or twice a year depending on your usage of the gun. True the firing pin should not be lubricated, it is self lubed by its bushings I believe. Also be careful to have the breach face down when scrubbing with the brush and cleaner to prevent solvent from entering the firing pin channel. I think Glock recommends having an armorer detail strip the gun during the warranty period.

13. exhaust

Thank You,

That relieves a lot of tension!

14. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

if i remember this right there was a guy that bought an original Glock 17 and never cleaned it period and thats without a misfire or any problem thought it was weird and extremely dangerous.......

15. agonist

Any well designed service pistol should retain functionality even when dirty. Glocks fit into this category as well as 1911s, XDs, and older Ruger P models.

16. agonist

A guy I knew Years ago had the attitude that he never had to clean his Gun, because "The next Shot will Blow everything out of the Barrel"! And so on! (Like the Barrel is the only thing that ever needs to be cleaned.) Never oiled it either. This was a long time ago, and all I remember was it was a Chrome Colt, 380 I think. There were no 9mm's around then if I recall. It was no bigger because I shot it with no problem. But he never had any problems that I ever heard of. I haven't spoken to him in 30 Years now, who knows, the Gun may have blown up and killed him?

17. radio_relay

radio_relay Well-Known Member

As all the Marines on this forum know, weapon maintenance is drilled into you from day one in the Corps. So, I'm one who cannot stand a dirty gun. In Vietnam, I cleaned my guns every day, no matter how tired I was (that was pretty much more out of necessity, than diligence, though) . I don't like my guns to be dirty, or to get dirty.

Never the less, I was curious to see if I could make my XD fail. So, I didn't clean it for over a month. This went through three trips to the range on my farm. Maybe a total of 1,000 rounds through it, and wearing it concealed under my clothing. It got a little rusty, and a good deal of carbon built up in the action, and on the feed ramp, but it never failed once!

I finally couldn't stand it being dirty any longer. So, I cleaned it. I think it could have gone much longer. Now it gets cleaned and oiled once every two weeks, whether I fire it or not. It is also cleaned and oiled immediately after each session at the range.

18. radio_relay

radio_relay Well-Known Member

I think most Weapon Owners follow a similar regime as far as their Guns go. I just was telling an old story about an idiot that thought the next Round cleans his Gun, so why should he.

19. exhaust

You bet! Aside from cleaning you can inspect the gun for worn or broken parts. I want to know the gun is in top condition, my girl laughs at me cause I hold all the parts up to the light looking for any wear. She'll never understand!lol Like "radio", I also re-oil and wipe the guns I'm not using with a silicone cloth once a month or so.

20. S&W910

S&W910 Well-Known Member

Radio i agree with you but as i'm not at the range that often mine gets cleaned every month or less,,, something soothing about cleaning my weapon dunno call me weird but it works....