.40 cal ammo vs black bear question

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by Djsrcy, May 18, 2011.

1. Djsrcy

Djsrcy New Member

Ok I know .40 cal is not the best gun to use against a bear. :) I am going to Colorado for 2 weeks and will be doing some back woods camping. In the off chance I come across an angry bear, which ammo should I use? FMJ? Hollow point? Round nose? I assume I dont want a hollow point but I dont know. I am a new gun owner and dont know anything about grain or jackets etc. I just need to know which .40 cal ammo would have the best CHANCE at stopping a black bear. Links would be very much appreciated. Thank you~
  2. Hotrod911

Hotrod911 Active Member

not real sure any .40 ammo would be very effective on a bear, but Hornady 165 grain Critical Defense advertises 1175 fps. I guess it would be better than nothing. LOL.

Good luck

3. Will_Carry

Will_Carry Well-Known Member

Buffalo Bore makes a 40+P round that delivers 580ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That's .357 magnum power. Enjoy Colorado and hope you don't need the pistol.
  4. Will_Carry

Will_Carry Well-Known Member

NEWS FLASH: "Black Bears are harmless unless provoked!"

I heard it on NPR on my way to work this evening. Do ya think the bears know that?
  5. MightyFoFaad

MightyFoFaad Well-Known Member

No two situations are ever the same, nor do all bears react the same way ... what ticks them off has a lot to do with what you should do & what the bear is likely to do. I'll give you the best advice based on 35 years of hunting; bears included.

The .40 S&W delivers a lot of whoop & if you're confronted by a BLACK BEAR you stand a chance if you can deliver 4 to 5 shots to the neck and/or chest heart & lung area.

Now, if you are confronted by a GRIZZ your options are much different. Option #1 ... bend over & kiss your ass goodbye. Option #2 (preferable) hike with someone who can't run as fast as you.
  6. ulgydog56

ulgydog56 Well-Known Member

if thats all you got.....fmj why? heavy bone&thick hide you need penatration....or buffalobore ammo......o.k really a .41mag..

GOANRA Well-Known Member

It is wise to remember that ANY handgun is fairly wimpy.
    I have met many Black Bears in the woods and would be comfortable with a 40 cal with 10 JHP rounds, for emergency use.
    Black Bears are nearly tame, but it is good to keep distance.
    Browns are a little less 'good-natured', but not likely a big threat.