.357 and .357sig whats the differnce?

Discussion in 'Gun Chatter' started by Trainingwheels, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Trainingwheels

Trainingwheels Member

Hi there... um another dumb question but what is the difference between the .357 and a .357sig?.. are they the same thing or what?... im looking at a Sig Sauer P229 if i do buy (When i get state side) is it any good? ( i have fired a Sig Sauer P226 9mm since Dad was a NZ Army Boy but no nothing about them really)...

2. exhaust

exhaust Well-Known Member

That is a relevant question; The .357sig is the "attempt" to mimic the .357 magnum cartridge in a semi-auto, and although on paper it comes close, studies suggest it does not fragment and damage tissue to the degree of the .357mag. It is a .40 case necked down to a 9mm. In very simple terms, it's a super-fast 9mm, (or as Robert Boatman calls it, the "retarded 9") with tons of penetration (maybe too much for the average CCW user). In My opinion, I think the round has very limited use, like turning a car into swiss cheese, or a more practical use like a trail companion (extra penetration for the 4 legged creatures, but I would choose a 10mm over it anyway). I find the downsides overwhelming for a CCW... harsh recoil, harsh on the firearm do to the high pressure, may over penetrate a human, and also more expensive. So again in My opinion, stick with something that begins with a 4.

3. ShootSS

ShootSS Well-Known Member

Perhaps it should be said (perhaps not) that the .357 magnum is primairly a revolver cartridge. The .357 Sig is for the semi-autl as Glocks pointed out. The .357 mag is a great cartridge for a revolver, but like the .357 sig is not really a good CCL round (and for the same reasons Glocks pointed out for the .357 Sig).

4. HogManMagnum

HogManMagnum Well-Known Member

Heres the simple answer: They are 2 completely different cartridges. They DO NOT interchange and they are close, but not identical, balistically.

Also, keep in mind that the .357 Sig is a much newer cartridge and because of that, it isn't as common or available as the .357 Magnum. And remember, the .357 Magnum is strictly a revolver cartridge, with the only exception to that rule being the Desert Eagle .357 Mag Pistol (which is really big and really expensive)