>
Board Index Serious Shooters Military & Police

Words of advice for new or potential enlistees

Discuss assualt and tactical techniques, law enforcement, militia, and other combat and security topics.

Postby lotsip81 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:34 pm

That is correct, they are allowed to join afterwards. What I am more curious about is the whole process of the move, the actual details. I heard they they sit you down in a classroom type environment and explain how it all works. Is this the case? I just don't want to be caught unaware.

Thanks again for the help

Lot
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby Cruiser12 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:47 pm

I recently enlisted in October but not active Army. I am in the Army National Guard (21B Combat Engineer) so I cannot help you with the family relocation issue. I will say that the GoArmy.com message boards have a ton of great info that really helped me. I read a lot of stuff on there from real people that aren't recruiters-when I talked to my recruiter he was surprised how much I knew and I think he was more forthcoming with info. There is a link on the message boards about family and base living. I suggest you try there for some more active help on the subject.

As far as the decision, it sounds like you have thought it through. I would just say that you should be prepared for some surprise responses where people will same dumb/ill-informed or non-sense about your decision. People who I thought would be supportive turned out to be anti-military or convinced that I already need to plan my funeral arrangements. That kind of stuff. Many of the other recruits I have talked to had similar experiences. As long as you know it is right for you, your family and allows you to do what you want in life then by all means go for it. I am extremely happy with the decision-it has been fun and rewarding.
Cruiser12

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:23 am

Thanks for the positive comments Cruiser! The time comes when you have to stand up for your own beliefs and what is right, for you, your family and your country. There needs to be attention paid to patriotism. I have so much respect for those of us that were and are willing to stand up for what this country represents, liberty and freedom. We have to keep that thought alive and remember that while our new administration considers changing those objectives. This country belongs to the people, not the Democrats.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:53 am

Advice to anyone considering enlistment into the United States Military! It was posted today on Military.com, the worldwide financial crisis has hit private colleges hard enough that relatively few are likely to participate in the Post-9/11 GI Bill's "Yellow Ribbon" initiative when it begins this fall, says Keith M. Wilson, director of education service for the Veterans Benefits Administration. If your decision to enter the military includes the desire to further your education, be sure you get some guarantee's before agreeing to empty promises. If the US is going to entice young people with the opportunity and benefits of higher learning after they leave active duty, they damn well better be sure it's available when they're ready!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that Tig, definitely something to keep in mind when looking at the fine print on your contract.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:39 am

Why is it that everyone always says not to volunteer for anything? I appreciate a hurried answer on this as I am leaving for Basic Training tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help

lotsip81
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Hey Lot!! I want to let you know that I'm thinking about you and hope your time in the basic training trenches aren't getting the best of you!! Hang in there Brother and give em' hell for all of us!

Tig

tigwelder56

Re: Words of advice for new or potential enlistees

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:38 pm

This is an interesting opportunity to ask Lotsip (our Mod) to inform us regarding his decision to go into the military. I remember discussing his decision years ago and now as he has moved forward with his military career, it would be interesting to get a brief bio on his choice and his future with the US Army. I remain proud and supportive of his him and his decision!! "HOORAH"

tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 pm

I have no regrets with my choice to join the military a little later in life than most do. It has provided me with a steady income to provide for my family, and has afforded me to see many things in life that many others may never get the chance to.

I would love to give so many details of the things I have gotten to do, but I cannot. Not that I don't want to, it is just not appropriate to do on an open forum such as this. But all of you rest assured that I have enjoyed my time serving my great country. While it may not be a job for some people, I have not, nor will I ever, regret the time I have had serving.
lotsip81

Postby GOANRA » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Lotsip81, Good on you for deciding to defend our nation. You must have given it a LOT of thought with a family involved. You are still a light-year ahead of those youngsters who join on their 18th B-Day, marry their GF & have the twins within the year. Ouch!

Thanks for hangin' tough while the Anti-American Media & self-proclaimed Elite show their lack of honor, courage, and sacrifice.

I joined the Corps as a youngster and saw some of the world in 1969, no shortage of sacrifice, there. Odd how the media was not much better back then.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Military & Police