>
Board Index Serious Shooters Military & Police

cost of ammo

Discuss assualt and tactical techniques, law enforcement, militia, and other combat and security topics.

Postby GOANRA » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:54 pm

BrianB sums it well enough. Whether shooting or knife throwing, one must learn the basics and practice a LOT.

My job for many years was to train new LEO recruits. After classroom training, the first was always the stance, 'Basic' [facing target squarely] or 'Weaver' [sideways with weak elbow resting on side for more stability].

Carbines were 'Weaver' stance only.

Here is a video that quickly demonstrates each:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2358156_prope ... oting.html

Advanced skills include 'front site', [speed] and 'instinct' [acquiring target without using sights]... start with laser, then progress.

Prone, with any firearm [stabilizing body by locking into ground]... most 'grunts' on here prob know that one. LOL

Caliber: For sidearm self defense, 'general rule' is .380 minimum to .45 max.

Many variables and compromises in that issue, especially concealment.

Still, a couple hits with a .25 beats a couple misses with a .45

Most practice can be done with a .22 sidearm. I do 95% of my practicing with .22s and the practiced skills transfer nicely to all my larger calibers.

At the range, I shoot my .22 for about 40 mins, then about 3 rounds each [usually] through my .380 through .45 if they give a decent group of 3 in the 9 ring at 30 feet.

Still have to send a few boxes of .38s or .45s down the range... every now & then.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby blacksonichorse » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:45 pm

thanks i will try these things
blacksonichorse

Postby EMTmichael » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:47 pm

when i bought my glock 21 .45 auto, i got used to the recoil after 50 shots with my instructor... now i shoot it 3 to 4 times a week and it's like brushing your teeth in the morning. now i am going to take the civil service test may 7th to become a reading police officer. so wish me luck
EMTmichael

Postby EMTmichael » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:48 pm

a reading, pa police officer.
EMTmichael

Previous

Return to Military & Police