>
Board Index Miscellany Legal & Political

Felonies and firearms

Get informed and debate about civil rights and legal issues such as concealed carry, self-defense, and gun control.

Postby CONT2 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:13 pm

When you fill out forms and sign them, you are saying that "to the best of my knowledge", these statements are true. I asked a gun salesman about the situation this morning. I told him of HG's dilemma. He said to tell him to get a copy of the disposition and inquire at the clerk's office as to the exact wording of the end result.

He also said that there have been countless times where the person trying to buy a gun forgot what the exact disposition was and passed the check. It's not a crime to be wrong about something, but yes, it is a crime to lie about it. All I'm saying is that he needs to find out what the exact wording is. If it's Adjudication Withheld, then he's not considered a convicted felon...
CONT2

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue May 01, 2007 4:02 pm

Agreed! If an individual knowingly attempts to buy a firearm, while knowing that he/she is a convicted felon or otherwise ineligible to purchase that weapon and gets caught, he/she should be arrested. The key word here is "knowingly". Unfortunately though I believe BATF says anyone, even if it was a mistake on the purchasers part. They're the reasonable folks, the one's from Ruby Ridge, and Waco, TX...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby HGhopefull » Tue May 01, 2007 6:35 pm

no real update yet. I've contacted the lawyer who handled this case back in 95 and am awaiting his reply. note: I've never actuall applied for a gun or permit yet. based on my knowledge of the Felony Firearm Act, I decided to wait until I am cleared or at least sure that i will be allowed to purchase. If I apply and am denied, will the record of my attempt prevent future applications?
HGhopefull

Postby CONT2 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:06 pm

HG, punch in ATF on the net. There are FAQ's that might help you . It talks about expungements and pardons etc...
CONT2

Postby Patrol » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:50 pm

One issue you have is not only are you a convicted felon but one of the disqualifying acts on the actual form you fill out to purchase a firearm deals with using or selling illegal drugs. Because of this you may never be able to purchase legally a firearm from an FFL dealer or have them in your possesion even in states that have ammended their law to felons convicted due to nonviolent crime being able to purchase and own firearms. The drug issue falls into the same category as the violent felonies in most states. All I can suggest is you keep writting the BATF.
Patrol

Postby sittingmoose10.31_51shaman » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:14 am

To the best of my reading and understanding. The Second Amendment doesn't state a thing about 'Felonies'. Also, if an American citizen is convicted, of said ' Felony(s)and finishes all incarcerations,fines,If any,and pays all restitutions,in Full Accordance to the Law and The Courts of American Jurisprudence Then the Debt to Society is Paid in Full,Citizenship is fully Reinstated.That Person is Entitled to all Privelidges, And Civil Rights of a Free Citizen of The United States of America , In Equality and Exercising Thereof 'All Amendments of The Bill of Rights,and Responsibilities of The Balance of The Constitution wich Governs These United States of America. Man that sounds good, and it's True. The rough part is having the Authorities ante up and follow through.
sittingmoose10.31_51shaman

Postby g4l » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:46 am

I don't agree with that moose, ones past most likely shows their future(not everyone of coarse), and if one felon gets a permit and does something stupid all hell breaks loose in the media. Drugs, guns, and violence all go together, I think most people are safer the way it is.
g4l

Postby sittingmoose10.31_51shaman » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:26 pm

Sorry, I was being a bit facetious about the 'legalese of the "Law'yer"esque'. I should have pointed that out. Still,"Points of Law",Yikes! All these 'Law'yers here in The Land O' the Free. Way outnumbered we are, per capita. EEEE, should One persue such a case......and win.....could call here'AmerIraq .

Postby sittingmoose10.31_51shaman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:43 am

It just, sort of,....passed by....., as a thought, nuthin' BLZ Bubby or that crap. In the context of the rebuttal....,er, would it not put the Grand Pubah,(The Papacy in The Vatican), on the spot. As it were... Was He not a Major or was it a Colonel in the Vaffen SS? Betcha he would be a Pistolero. Excellent, I wonder if he has a range set up in the Sistine Chapel. Hmmm, I'd wear some body armour to confession.The Nuns that taught me way back in grammar school were Tough. Took no shit from anybody. The Sisters of Mercy and Him. Ha-hah, They combined, in this Present Time & Era, such a force to reckon with ! Kick Pig-boy osamas' ass but good !

Postby S&W910 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:06 am

Okay Glock how about this people with say a 10 year spotless less the odd traffic ticket or two record but they have non-violent felony or were convicted at the age of 17 but had a shitty lawyer honestly i think those people should be given a chance..... and when i say Non-Violent i mean exactly that,

Hell even a fight if you were in the right yada yada big whoop if you won you won,,,,, tired of all these laws that make no sense do even less and cost us an arm and a leg

here's an idea we Cut the Congress and Senate pay and healthcare and i mean completely gone make em deal with a canadian health care system if they think it's so damn good.

then we'll end up with a Government who's heads are up there if ya know what i mean.....
S&W910

PreviousNext

Return to Legal & Political