>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Carry Condition Preference Survey

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Carry Condition Preference Survey

Postby 1ofEA » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:53 pm

SURVEY:

What firearm do you carry?

In what condition do you carry and why?

Condition 0

Condition 1

Condition 2

Condition 3

Condition 4
1ofEA

Postby 1ofEA » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:58 pm

All semi-autos: Condition 3

Revolvers: Condition 2

While I don't have one in the chamber I feel the added safety of eliminating an accidental fireing out weighs the added time required to chamber a round. I never intend to cowboy draw & fire. I prefer to know my surroundings, assess and react.
1ofEA

Postby judgeparker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:12 pm

1911 condition one cocked and locked, for that matter condition one for most all my handguns and rifle's. While your rackin the slide I'm poken holes in em. Keeping your finger off the trigger until target acquisition cuts down on accidental discharges.
judgeparker

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:14 am

If I'm carrying a 1911, it's condition 1, or if it's just in the truck it may be in 3.

Other DOA or SA/DA pistols I carry in condition 2, safety on or off depending.

HERE IS THE DEFINITIONS FOR CONDITIONS IF YOUR NOT SURE WHAT THEY ARE

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.
beltbuckle

Postby g4l » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Any gun I have out of the safe for a defensive purpose, (home and/or carry) is ready to go.

SA -cocked & locked

Striker -chambered

SA/DA -chambered w/hammer down
g4l

Postby judgeparker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:03 am

I sure thought you guys would raz me about my silly poken holes comment but I guess it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. Condition one is safe and faster but it takes some time to get used to carrying that way.
judgeparker

Postby GOANRA » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:57 pm

I've been carrying for over 30 years, so I do like g4l.

However, I'm contious of my sidearm [& its condition] every second. Like an egg in my pocket.

Likely scenario: I'm in line at the local Gas & Rob... some puke pulls a weapon on clerk + e/one. The noise of me 'racking one' would probably get me shot.

Those velcro pockets are just as bad.

It's really a lot of work staying contious of your sidearm... some rather keep sidearm safer & think about other things.

It's all about what's 'safest' for the individual, which may change over time.

It would be too goofy to CC & end up shooting yourself.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby drjavelina » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:11 am

I carry a Sigma .40VE and it is chambered and ready. Can't say it's locked since the Sigma doesn't have a safety. In a stressfull situation you dont have time to call time-out to rack your slide, take the gun off safety and then prepare to confront your attacker.
drjavelina

Postby GOANRA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:39 pm

The scenario I posted below happened to me when I lived in a northern state. I was 3rd in line when a BG pulled a large revolver on the clerk... with an eye on everyone.

I was off-duty on a stinkin' hot, humid day & had my CA .357 mag Pug [snubbie] with the full-weight bobbed hammer they used to have, in the RR pocket of my jeans with shirt untucked.

Even though I got my hand on the grip, unnoticed, it was still "way too close".

Sure glad I wasn't next in that line... things may not have worked out as well.

All those hours I'd spent practicing my draw, with that particular sidearm, were well worth it.

I was trained with the 'mindset': The BG gets the first shot... count on it. So: 1. Draw-move 2. aim-shoot, 2 secs, max.

Off duty [CC] was the toughest to learn. I think I practiced my draw for 6 months with the sidearm 'unloaded', before I even attempted the aim-shoot.

I doubt I could come very close [at all] to the 2 seconds from the whistle to the shot, thesedays, even though I do practice.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Condition One. Because Jeff said so...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Next

Return to Concealed Carry