>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Thoughts or Opionions?!

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Thoughts or Opionions?!

Postby AGL_RT » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm

I just put a S&W40c on layaway for 450 and I have to option to purchase a 9mm Springfield xd or 40 cal springfield xd for about 500. Its my first handgun puchase so it will be for home defense/concealed carry. I have a 12Ga shotgun already and have shot various guns and was wondering what you guys think of my options.
AGL_RT

Postby JustBen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:05 pm

All nice guns. The XD is a good conceal carry gun. 9mm does the job and is cheaper, but 40cal is more available since most LEO's use it. Can't go wrong buying good brand names like that.
JustBen

Postby BrianB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:31 am

When you say S&W40c, are you talking about a Sigma? If so then I would take one of the Springfield XDs for 500 over a Sigma for 450. A Sigma can usually be found much cheaper brand new. Plus, the C version is the older version and I have heard they had more problems than the newer VE version.

The Springfield XD line are very good guns and much higher in quality and price than a Sigma. So for only 50 bucks more, I would take the Springfield any time.
BrianB

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:13 pm

I concur! While the Sigma's are getting better, I still think they have a long way to go before having all the bugs worked out. Many people like them and have had good performance with them. The biggest complaint is the trigger pull on it. We long and stiff as hell. Don't buy one of the earlier models as BrianB mentioned, they are quite troublesome. The XD would be a far better choice in my opinion! Good luck!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby warren_borg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:19 pm

Greetings Everyone, I live in Canada where (unfortunately) concealed & carry permits are tougher to get then having a personal tour of the prime minister's house. I believe that everyone has the right to bear arms and defend him & herself against any and all threats. Also, the price of centerfire pistols are a lot more than in the US. I have done some checking into my local laws and found that one can apply for a carry permit but the reason you are applying for one must be either you are in grave and imminent danger or by some miracle are the Chief Firearms Officer's first child. (That last bit was a joke). I have talked with family members, who have traveled to the US, and have come back with some pretty awesome stories. One being, (in Arizona maybe?), where some morons attempted to hold up a store. With the public allowed to conceal & carry, the moron made his way outside to find himself in front of a firing squad. The public held him till the authorities arrived and apprehended him. That is a great result of the public being allowed to carry. I've also heard of locals, (to the US) sharing stories where crime doesn't happen hardly at all in a place where people have the right to carry. Wicked awesome I say, and up here in Canada, I, we, should be able to do the same!
warren_borg

Postby BrianB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:27 am

Greetings to you Warren. Statistically, yes, crime has dropped in areas that are allowing concealed carry permits. That said, I would guesstimate that perhaps only 10% of the population in those areas (and I think I am guessing high) actually carry concealed. That being said, it could be possible that a criminal may walk outside of an establishment that he has robbed and face a "Firing Squad" but would likely be extremely rare. Perhaps a couple of people, likely traveling together, may come across such a scene and be waiting with guns drawn. Most usually there would probably only be one person armed in the vicinity. Still, the thought that just one person around may be armed, without any way to tell who, seems to be enough to detour crime quite a bit.
BrianB

Postby robalan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:21 pm

The 10% seemed real high to me. I don't know if this is correct or not, but I did find a listing for Texas CCW Permit holders at a rate of 1.62. It is at the following site.

http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/2004/12/ ... carry.html

I also found some crime rate decreases mentioned for Texas after they allowed concealed carry at this site.

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=9367
robalan

Postby BrianB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:01 am

Thanks robalan, I really felt I was guessing very high but at the same time wanted to allow a higher percentage for the "best case" scenario.

At the same time though the first link is statistics from 2003 and Texas is far down the list at that time with its 1.62 whereas S. Dakota lead at the time with 7.45. Granted, those numbers could have stayed the same or gone down but I have read the opposite is taking place in the last couple years in that people are applying for these licenses at a higher rate then ever.
BrianB

Postby robalan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:43 pm

That is true. I guess the past two years may make a big difference everywhere. One of the local clubs said they added more gun safety classes and attendance at them is 3 or 4 times what it use to be.
robalan

Postby warren_borg » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:45 pm

I find that very interesting! I would have thought the carry/conceal rate would be something like 30 -40%, or atleast 20% and that's in Texas at that! Wow! I guess that shows just how I ( a young Canadian male) thinks. You have a valid point BrianB.

Say, I have a couple of questions for you boy's from the US, if you don't mind.

1) On average, what would the price of a conceal/carry permit cost you?

2) Do you have to take any extra training to carry?

3) Is there a limit to how many pistols you can carry on you?
warren_borg

Next

Return to Concealed Carry