>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Just passed concealed carry - with anxiety!

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Just passed concealed carry - with anxiety!

Postby mister_ee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Short story: I just passed the concealed carry training for Ohio today. I'm not licensed to carry concealed yet, but I did purchase a Blackhawk holster for my Ruger SR9C. I had originally planned to go back and buy a Ruger 38 special pistol instead and not use the SR9C as my primary weapon.

Why the hell would I do this, you ask, considering I've only owned the SR9C for eight days now?

Fear.

Yes, you read that right: Fear. I'm having anxiety that (you may get your fingers ready to type a long list of responses) that somehow, the gun *will* go off in its holster. Or lying on the table. Or, perhaps, just go off for no damned reason at all. Now, normally, this wouldn't be an issue, for I had planned to carry but with nothing in the chamber. I'd have to cock it and rack one up for the delivery.

Of course, you can imagine this notion didn't go over well with my trainers (who are police officers), the people at the gun show I went to afterward or anyone else who is currently licensed to carry concealed. THey showed me their Glocks with no safety switches and explained how they carry, no problems for umpteen-bazillion years. Never an 'accidental' discharge. The Blackhawk holster seems to take care of your finger accidentally snagging the trigger.

So, back to the notion of buying the Ruger 38 special. It's a lovely 5-shot revolver and much smaller. It seems easier to conceal and, for some unknown reason, since it's hammer-less (no external hammer, I should note), I feel like it's "safer" My SR9C doesn't have an external hammer, either, but I feel like it's a hair-trigger, and one teeny pull and I"ll blow my leg off.

I'm a big guy - 6'5", 400lbs, quite agile, just big and fat - and I'm wearing the SR9C strapped to my hip right now in the new Blackhawk holster. I'm at home, rather safe, no problems, but the safety is on. I cannot - cannot - seem to get past the notion that, somehow, this thing will go off and take out my leg (as I've loaded hollow-point ammo) or do something on its own...or a demon will show up and yank the trigger, hell, I don't know.

I'm looking (hoping, actually) for a few things here:

1) Rational voices to tell me that this is normal anxiety with a gun virgin, especially one who is getting a "feel" for the holster/gun on his hip;

2) I really don't need to go out and buy that revolver tomorrow;

3) This gun is NOT going to fire on its own, even if I take the safety off

I'm trying not to move too much in my computer chair. I'm concerned that if I put pressure on the gun in any way, I'm going to take out the outside of my right leg.

I now am hoping to hear some encouraging words. Fire (no pun intended) away!
mister_ee

Postby JustBen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:55 pm

mister ee:

Is this the Blackhawk Serpa holster with the release mechanism that you must activate with your trigger finger ?

If it is, yes you have a possibility of shooting yourself in the leg. Plenty of videos on youtube about this.

All is fine until you are trying to draw under stress. Imagine pulling the gun out before you have fully released it. Now it is jammed and the release is too. So you push harder with your trigger finger to release it, and eventually with enough force the gun comes flying out of your holster, trigger fnger with all that force goes into the trigger guard and squeezes off a round into your leg. Ouch.

Its not your gun, its your holster. Loose the Blackhawk asap and get a Comp-Tac. Half leather and half Kydex. Comfortable, quick and safe. http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

Of course when you are reholstering with a half leather holster, make sure you do not point the gun inward towards your body to find the slot. Go straight in and have your trigger finger way out off the gun and your garment clear. If your garments get stuck in with the gun, dont pull them out. Pull the gun out gently and then the garment. Re holster.

All is good, just use common sense and good equipment. Modern guns will only fire when you pull the trigger, and it only hurts if the gun is pointed at something you do not want destroyed. Simple rules.

Best of Luck and carry without fear and one in the pipe ready to go at all times 24-7.
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Some of the best training in the country is in Ohio. Go to www.tdiohio.com and take a look at the videos under "media". These guys are the best in the business. Well worth the money and effort to get this level of training. Just give them a call and get signed up.
JustBen

Postby Gloc9mm » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Good Luck Ben!

Hopefully you will never need to pull the Weapon! I have Carried for 30 Yrs and luckilly have never needed to use one.
Gloc9mm

Postby ulgydog56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 pm

one thing is that ..you must feel comfortable with your weapon and a level of safty that makes you feel this way ,time and good procedore willdo that for you...
ulgydog56

Return to Concealed Carry