>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Reloading

New Category!

For reloaders and related equipment such as presses, dies, trimmers, scales, and bullet molds.

Postby keyman » Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi, tkdguy.... I recently bought a Lee 1000 loading machine, but I still haven't produced any ammunition. I've been unable to get the powder loading apparatus to cooperate. I know it's something that I am doing wrong, but as yet I haven't figured it out. I will keep trying.
keyman

Postby drdarrin » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:30 am

Keyman, I've been reloading since I was 16, so that would be about 1968, using a RCBS Jr press and adding items along the way. Still have that press and it still works. My advise, if you plan to shoot alot and you're on a budget (who isn't?), you will save a bunch over the long haul.

For my pistols, since I cast my own bullets too, my cost is primarily primers and powder. LSS, I can shoot my 357's or 44 mag for little more than a 22 LR at todays prices.

Rifles cost me more but buying the components, particularily the bullets, in bulk (500+) will save me about 60% over loaded factory ammo. Over 40 years, I can say without a doubt, the $29.95 I paid for the press and my first set of dies has long since been paid for.
drdarrin

Postby keyman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks for your reply, drdarrin, but I have just about decided to abandon my idea of self loading. I never did get the powder to fall correctly, I bought an automatic bullet loader and messed w/it a few times, but the desire has gone down the tubes.

I may let it sit for awhile, then see what happens. Happy shooting!!!
keyman

Postby lrgcal4fun » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi Keyman,

There can certainly be a frustrating learning curve with reloading. After doing it for more that 30 years I still have an occasional challenge. If you feel the need to step back for a wile by all means do so. But don't give up entirely unless you just don't like tinkering and taking things apart. But if you are the "fix my own car" kind of guy, you can certainly learn and master reloading.
lrgcal4fun

Postby keyman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi Irgcal,

I've always done my own oil changing and such, but this little rascal scares me when I think what could happen if the powder drop doesn't do right.

I think that just letting it sit for a while while I put it in the back of my mind a bit, maybe I can find someone that knows more about it than I do to come along and get me over the hump.

I have oodles of ammo in all three calibers that I intended to load, so it's not like I need to reload to have something to shoot. Several people have told me to call the Lee company and they can talk me right through it, but I haven't done that yet.

Thanks for your input on the matter, maybe that'll help me get back to it a little sooner.

I remember that you tried to help me when I had the Witness Compact. I appreciated that, and I appreciate this too. As my dad used to say. . . "Much obliged."
keyman

Postby pastorfarley » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Keyman,

The savings can be good, or none at all depending on caliber and bullet choices, until you figure case reuse savings. For revolvers, that can be huge, for semi-autos that can be less of a benefit because all brass may not be recovered. The downside is the initial expenditure looks large on the credit card statement, but once your inventory is built up its all gravy.

As for the powder drop, consider getting a manual press and learning the basic process first. If you shoot a lot it can be time consuming, but you learn a lot, including how accurately each powder can be dispensed.

The real reason for reloading, to me, is the ability to develop a custom load for my exact needs; priceless!
pastorfarley

Previous

Return to Reloading