>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Gunsmithing

Scratches in stainless steel

Discuss cleaning or modification of your weapon in order to maintain or upgrade reliability and performance.

Scratches in stainless steel

Postby gbshive » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I have a slight group pf small scraches in the stainless up around the slide release. I don't want to fool around and remove them and make it worse with a shiny looking area after taking out the scratch which usually will happen with stainless eespcially with the slight straight line graining that is original to the machining process. I know this will probably happen with jewellers rough, and other products. Any ideas? maybe the best is to leave them as character marks until the time comes to refinish the gun. It is a really nicely finished Springfield 1911 1A and it bothers me
gbshive

Postby buddahmicv64 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 am

dismantle the gun-try to buff them out on a buffer.Depends on how deep they are,it should work..
buddahmicv64

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 am

Prior to buffing, use a good compound like "Flitz" and you should have much better success. Good luck!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Return to Gunsmithing