>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger Blackhawk Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Rugerrules » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Recently purchased the .45 ACP/.45 Colt. After several hundred rounds, performs well, accurate to 1-1/2" groups off-hand, Weaver grip at 8 meters (in both calibers). Wish Ruger would go back to the Rosewood grips - the rubber ones, while functional, do not have the rich appearance that the wood grips had. Placed a white bar of enamel on the front blade for better visibility. Rock solid revolver - maintains the durability and appearance of prior Blackhawks.
Rugerrules

Postby keyman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 pm

I bought one of the "Old model" Blackhawks last week, and have sent it to Ruger for the "Update." It is .357 caliber, and I was reading on this forum that some guys use other ammo in addition to the .357. Would someone please let me know for sure. Thanks and happy shooting.
keyman

Postby keyman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:47 pm

My Black Hawk 357 took about two weeks to convert to the new style. I installed a Hogue grip, and took it to the range. After 50 rounds, the gun was getting very close patterns and tearing up the target. I was quite amazed at the accuracy.

I would never consider this gun for CC, but I think it would be a good home defense weapon. Sure is a nice gun.
keyman

Postby BlackHawkCazador » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:56 am

The 357. mag BLACKHAWK for me was an iconic sidearm since i could remember. My father always toted this firearm into the woods every deer season year after year. Pops always said one day the gun would be mine , but you know what i could not wait to inherit a Blackhawk so i went out and purchased an original 3 screw 6 1/2 converted. I have this cannon as my Hog hunting sidearm and at 30-40 feet drops them hard with DEADLY accuracy. In my opinion and knowledge the Ruger Blackhawk is one of the most accurate out of the box pistols one can buy and a great ,reliable camp to field gun. I recommend only experienced shooters handle, hunt and operate unconverted Ruger S/A. This gun comes in a variety of lengths and calibers guaranteed to earn a respected place in any collection. And when it comes to home defense forget it. This firearm will not only stop an intruder but the guy in next room or house depending on what you live in so keep that in mind before you shoot. I personally vouch for the Ruger BLACKHAWK to anyone young and old, I trust this gun with my life when im in the woods.
BlackHawkCazador

Postby Jake81499 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:15 pm

This is without a doubt my favorite pistol of all time. I bought my first one in 1974 and had to sell it when I was down on my luck. The second in 1979 and had to sell it due to massive child support and I am now on my third. I have the 45 LC, 7 1/2 inch barrel and am 199% pleased. I run the Speer Manual #9 loads through it for hunting (I can't post the load here because someone with an inferior gun might try it and get hurt but it chronographs at 1400 FPS with a 260 grain bullet.) And I run a very light load for Cowboy Pistol shoots. Both loads have been worked for accuracy. I have shot the heavy loads against a NRA Champion shooter in a nice slow fire and I cleaned her clock. I've brought down many Deer, Antelope and Elk with it while hunting. In fact I'd completely given up on rifle hunting in favor of pistol back in 1981 to 1991. I stopped hunting in 1991. If you like this style of pistol, you'll love the Ruger Blackhawk.
Jake81499

Postby Guns4Hire » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 pm

The Blackhawk is THE Revolver. I bought one blued with 4 5/8" barrel and am absolutely pleased with the performance. A few months later I bought another one. I then ordered a double drop western rig for them. The look GOOD in the holsters. I didn't expect the accuracy out of the shorter barrels but I was wrong. I can constantly hit a quarter at 25 yrds. My triggers are very crisp and they just feel good in the hand. I'm looking to get one in .44 mag in the future.
Guns4Hire

Postby Jake81499 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Hmmm, Accuracy... One of my many former girlfriends was one of them thar super dupper heavy duty NRA prefressional target upper shooters who drove back east every year to shoot and won a major prize every time. Her X had built her one of them thar super duper heavy duty extry special six shooter pistols with no miss sites. We went out shooting one day, I took my Ruger 45LC with the heavy rounds mentioned earlier and she took her super gun along with her super shooter attitude. We lined up six 12g shotgun shells inside the bolt holes of an old snow plow blade we'd found so that all we could see was the base of the shell and set it out about 25 yards. One of us yelled ready and I shot out all six before she could get her first shot off. I laughed and she got mad. The Ruger Blackhawk 45LC with the heavy rounds STOMPED her super shooter. Both of us had rounds that were loaded for accuracy, but I just guess I had the better gun...
Jake81499

Postby BlackHawkCazador » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:13 am

Well i just brought home my Anniversary Edition flattop 44magnum w/ 6 1/2 barrel and its perfect. Those Boars wont know what hit them. I cant wait to take my naps in the woods with this beast on my lap. Recently my father stated that black bears have been spotted in the region where the family property is located, and he advised me not to fall asleep in the woods. When he sees what i am carrying a field this year he may change his tune. Blackhawks are the perfect single action revolvers out here. I personally have shot many other brands and models and my rugers are my mainstay.
BlackHawkCazador

Postby ZUMA » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:08 am

Great SA Gun! 357 and 38spl. 38 is real easy to shoot, and the 357 is not too much recoil, I assume due to weight. Fun to shoot. Wel made, like they say on Shooting gallery the hammer cocks like a bank door. Excellent gun. Just bought the rosewood grips to put on. I would like to carry this. might get a little attention...LOL
ZUMA

Postby Firearmsrookie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:21 am

What does Ruger do to update the older model and how much does that cost?
Firearmsrookie

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers