>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Charter Arms Undercover Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Charter Arms Undercover Reviews

Postby txgrassguy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:50 pm

I acquired a twice shot Undercover from the woman who bought it for $100 in the late 80s. I had nothing but problems until I changed out the stock springs with Wolf brand springs. After this modification, plus bobbing the trigger, the gun performed okay until about 400 rounds of standard pressure .38 special rounds were fired. Indexing became a problem, extensive leading on the forcing cone occurred and the timing became progressively worse. From my discussions with Charter and other police armorers, this was a typical result. Interestingly enough, the Bulldog never suffered like the Off-duty did. I ended up de-milling the revolver as to repair it was more than a new one. I would rate this piece at a star and a half.
txgrassguy

Postby qncy_blw » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:34 am

Ive had a Charter Arms Undercover since 1975 and although some of the bluing has been rubbed off(from pocket carry), it is in good shape mechanically. It is not a pleasant gun to shoot on any prolonged range sessions especially with duty loads. When I qualify the gun on the combat course I do change the stocks and wear a padded shooters glove to protect my hand. For most range practices I shoot 38 WCs and surprisingly it bullseyes consistently at 25yrds. I also have a S&W Chief and found that they share the same speedloader. However I believe the sights(big boxy front sight & rear square notch) on the on the Undercover to be better than those on the S&W which attributes to its fine accuracy. Both the double action and single action has sweetened over the years but still remains 100% reliable.
qncy_blw

Postby hammerdrop » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Great little revolver. It's 100% reliable, very accurate. Shoots to point of aim. Mine was priced at $279 new in box. But, after my discount, it was $250 + tax. This gun is very light and easy to carry, and USA made. This gun shoots better then some $600 revolvers with 4" and 6" barrels, that I've had. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.
hammerdrop

Postby LevergunMick » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Any more opinions on this particular model of revolver? I was considering purchasing one
LevergunMick

Postby twodogz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:13 am

I have an Undercover model from Charter Arms which was my carry gun for summertime when I lived in Florida. It has about 800 rounds through it, never had a problem, that is until the wife wanted it for her carry gun. Recoil is manageable, the first time the wife fired it, she liked it so much that she put 100+ rounds through it without any complaints. It is accurate, reliable, and easily concealed. As for my rating, I will probably never give a gun a rating of 5. Not that there isn't one out there that doesn't justify that rating, I just have only handled one and it is a .22 lr.
twodogz

Postby Rerun201 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 pm

I've owned a Charter UC for more than 25 years. It was my back-up piece as a cop for most of those years until the department transitioned to Glocks and I could afford a mini-Glock. It is reliable, easy to operate and easy to conceal. I actually prefer it over the S&W J frames that I've tried. The trigger on the Charter is much better in my opinion - not near as heavy. My wife also loves the gun (which is the main reason I haven't sold it). She prefers it over Glock 9s, 40s and 45s.

If your looking specifically for a 2in snubby in .38 cal, you can't do any better than this - and the price is reasonable as well.
Rerun201

Postby flatlander01 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:43 pm

I love my Undercover 38! This gun fits the hand perfectly and I love shooting it! Very small and very strong! It is my favorite gun at the range. If you are looking for a small revolver get this one. It is very accurate and fun to shoot. I have run 300 rounds thru mine so far and it has been all Fun.

Accurate, light, very small and very powerful.
flatlander01

Postby GOANRA » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:55 pm

I carried a CH Arms .357 mag 'PUG' for 12 yrs as an off-duty and as a primary when in plainclothes. perfection.

Recently got a CA 'On Duty' 38 +P with alum frame, 5 shot & shrouded hammer at 12 oz. Too excellent. Accurate at 30 ft.

I expect it'll last longer than I will since I don't get free, unlimited ammo anymore. LOL
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby rotbaron » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 am

I purchased my first Charter in 73. It developed timing problems so I repaired it and sold it. I suspect it was the +P+ rounds, my fault not the weapons. I purchased a new one for my wife but she prefers 1911's, so it stays in the door pocket of my truck. Not a bad little gun but it on the list to be sold/traded since I have a safe full.
rotbaron

Postby Dharmabumz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Bought my first charter arms undercover .38 snubbie. One of the old ones, blue, wood grips. Got the new rubber grips and fired for first time today.

I'm used to firing .38 and .357 in a 4 inch barrel, but the two isn't that bad recoiling. My pattern at 21 ft wasn't as good as I know I will get with practice, but they were all in the center, maybe a 4 inch spread, so not bad for my first go with a new gun. It's my new summertime CC piece.

Question, is it better to stick to .38's? I see some guys feeling maybe the +P is a bit much for them.
Dharmabumz

Next

Return to Revolvers