>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver Reviews

Postby 96Bronco » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 am

Haha where are the proud owners of the LCR, this little pocket pal excites me. Would love to hear some honest opinions on it. Range guy said they may consider getting this gun in since cc licensing is getting so popular.

Have read some pretty decent reviews, but all major sources... Fingers crossed it sounds like a fun one to own.

Cheers!
96Bronco

Postby bill23f » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:53 pm

I bought one 2 months ago, have put >200 rounds through it--shoots easily with .38 non-+P ammo, recoil mild with standard Hogue grips. Accuracy as expected. Excellent trigger pull for a revolver--my 6-year-old can easily pull it--most reviews commend positively on this. Only downside is a metallic rattle when shaken--due to the hammer pin; not very surreptitious for concealed carry--I Emailed Ruger and they spun it as a positive--can carry a round under the hammer pin with no worries. This is a good gun for what it is, and certainly can be handled by a novice shooter.
bill23f

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 pm

I dropped by my gun shop today and they had one of these on the shelf. I'm very impressed with this lightweight revolver. I couldn't believe how light it was! I have no doubt it would disappear in a pocket holster or an IWB. Only drawback to something this light is when you put +P loads through it. It's going to take some practice to control it during rapid fire exercises, even double and triple taps. The one thing it has going for it is a fantasticly smooth trigger pull. The best I've ever felt in a stock gun. If you have ever thought about buying a 2" snubbie, you owe it to yourself to look at this one!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby electricman4759 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:17 am

Hello 96bronco,

Did you ever hear from anyone on this item, and have you been to the range with it to see how this unit hamdles? If you can give me some feed on this item that would be great also will you let me know what type of ammo are you useing. I am looking for something for my wife.
electricman4759

Postby bill23f » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Wanted to add a few things: after > 500-600 rounds, I've found it shoots well with +P--Black Hills 125 gr JHP and Winchester 125 gr JHP, shoots well with Hornady non-+P critical Defense (expensive), with Remington non-+p ball ammo the 5th round often (twice per box of 50) unseats from its jacket and prevents firing and rotation of that round--Remington is crap. Accuracy is so-so, I plan to add a lasergrip--however, with standard Hogue grip I can fire all day with no problems. For a holster, I'm using an Uncle Mike's pocket holster designed for .25 ACP small pistol--happened by accident, but fits this gun well (doesn't cover trigger) and keeps it upright in the pocket.

Overall, I like this gun, but it's inaccurate at more than 10-15 yards. Light, easy to carry.
bill23f

Postby electricman4759 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:59 pm

I just purched this weapon for my wife and we took it to range, she ran about 150 rounds through the gun. She loved this item, I had to drag her out of the lane. If that is any showw of this gun I hope more ladies get this item because it works well as a carry.
electricman4759

Postby electricman4759 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:03 pm

My wife loves this gun but it hurts her hand after several rounds. Can anyone suggest a glove that would work for her and her tinder hands.
electricman4759

Postby rogerthedodger » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:16 am

I am using a golf glove. They come in right and left hand, are thin so they do not hamper your flexibility. enough leather to protect skin. It does look wimpy for a guy to wear a whiteglove(me) but wat the heck, who cares?

I bought an LCR after trying one at the range, now for the wait to pick up (10) days.
rogerthedodger

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Smith and Wesson has a line of shooting gloves that come with and without palm padding. Your local shooting supply should be able to hook you up with one. I use one, it's a fingerless model with a lightly padded palm. It's a great shooting companion, especially after a full day of practice.

I'd also like you to let us know what you think of your new LCR when you get it Roger. I've had my eye on one of them as well but have been waiting to see how it holds up. Ruger hasn't had much luck with the last two handguns they've released, the SR-9 and the LCP. Both had significant first generation problems.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby kcmitch » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I purchased this revolver and absolutely fell in love with it. It is my main carry gun. I use an IWB holster and forget I have it on. I have put +P and personal defense rounds through it and found that it's recoil was no greater than my Taurus 856, which was twice the weight. For a light weight gun I think the recoil is well in control. The trigger is the sweetest I have seen on a stock revolver. It hits point of aim for me. I also have the laser sight from CrimsonTrace and they are awesome. I would highly recommend this gun.
kcmitch

Next

Return to Revolvers