>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms SP2022 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby sigpro817 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:56 am

Just bought this gun last week. Put about 200 rounds in it so far. Not a single jam or feed error. Accuracy is excellent. Also, the people at the gun store had so many problems showing me how to take this gun down, however if you read the manual, it takes about 15 - 20 seconds tops. Great gun so far. This is my first firearm and so far I could not be more satisfied.
sigpro817

Postby gunmonkey1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:29 pm

i have ran about 1000 rds through my 2022 and i have not had any problems at all 0 malfunctions. i will admit it does not shoot as tight a group as some of the other guns i own but it shoots well and it is my main home defense weapon i don't know what the other guys on this thread are doing wrong but this is a fine weapon and i would recomend it to my friends
gunmonkey1

Postby almcfatter » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Just picked one up last week, my first SIG and now I get why people spend more money on Sigs. I own several autos of different brands and have fired many others, this pistol just feels like quality, very solid, super accurate, and ofcourse no failures of any kind. I would give it more stars if I could. This is my favorite pistol by far! Love it, can't say enough about how happy I am with it.
almcfatter

Postby danger_diver25 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:26 pm

I bought my Sig SP2022 (.40 S&W) over a month ago, and now I know first-hand why Sigs are considered the alpha dog of handguns. This may be a 500+ dollar pistol (great deal on gunbroker.com), but to me, it's worth so much more. It's incredibly accurate out of the box. The controls are simple and intuitive. Disassembly and cleaning is very simple, regardless of what some other nay-sayers have said. If you own or have ever operated, disassembled, and/or cleaned a 1911-A1 framed pistol, it's exactly the SAME! You rack the slide back, aligning the disassembly notch with the slide release pin and simply pop out the lever using your free index finger and gravity (tilt pistol sideways). With a little shaking, the pin will slide free, and the upper slides off with ease.

Again, anyone with any 1911 frame experience will find this process VERY familiar! I have had ZERO malfunctions after 500 rounds, and this "bulldog" will eat any ammo you feed it, although not all brands and styles are recommended. I personally avoid aluminum or steel casing rounds as well as solid lead, but that's more for fowling/cleaning and casing integrity issues. I have had NO trouble with the JHPs I practice with for personal protection. This gun is now on my hip in a crossbreed holster, and there's a clip (loaded with Extreme-Shok AFRs) by my bed for home defense. It is now my do-all pistol.

--As a side note, I plan to purchase a Crimson Trace Lasergrip for the 2022, a Springco recoil reducer, and an Insight XTI Procyon weapons light to complete this entire set. Like I said, "It's now my do-all pistol."
danger_diver25

Postby literaltrance » Thu May 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything, just want a straightforward answer.

What are the differences between the P229 and the P2022?
literaltrance

Postby danger_diver25 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:29 am

Sure! Why would it ruffle any feathers? Now for the tally:

1) The Sig Pro (2009, 2340, SP2022, and SPC2022) frame is made from polymer, with detachable grip panels. Grip panels can be easily replaced and are available in several different sizes and shapes.

2) The Sig Pro doesn't have a separate disassembly lever. You have to rack the slide back and pop out the slide release lever (which is very different from other Sigs), just like a 1911 frame pistol.

3) Finally, The standard Sig Pro does not have a manual safety but it does incorporate a decocking lever (lowers the hammer without striking the firing pin), trigger-bar disconnect (disconnects the trigger when the slide is out of battery), automatic firing pin lock (does not free the firing pin until the trigger is depressed) and a hammer safety intercept notch (prevents the hammer from striking the rear of the firing pin until the trigger is depressed). ~ Info courtesy of Wikipedia.com!

...Hope this helps.
danger_diver25

Postby janknepper » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Took my newly bought SiG SP2022 to the the range today and run 50 rounds through it.

Although I do think it first nicer in my hand than the Glock's this is only true when the magazine is inserted. Otherwise my pink has no grip which feels strange. An other thing I noticed very strongly is that the vertical distance from the top of the hand to the barrel is SIGNIFICANTLY more than with the Glock's I have.

On 50 feet the first shot out of this gun was right in the bull eye. Which is nice, but this could be for several reasons:

- I did not drink coffee this morning.

- I just run 200 rounds through my SiG Trailside on the same distance and took a break. On this one I did MUCH better than 2 weeks before.

- I took a little rest before I started with the SP2022

- I pulled the action, so the hammer was cocked.

- I probably have become a slightly better shooter.

After I run 50 rounds though the SP2022 I changed to the Glock 17 and run 50 rounds through that with effectively the same results.

Now I have experienced the trigger and the follow through on the SP2022 I think I would advice a new buyer to take a look at the Ruger SR9 for grip and easy to handle.

Taking the SP2022 apart is much more of a pain than taking apart a Glock or Rugar SR9. It is not bad, but the Glock and Rugar definitely win.
janknepper

Postby ardiver » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:09 pm

We bought this gun for my wife, to replace the PX4 in 40 S&W that was just too much for her. She had shot my Taurus PT 92 several times and had a much easier time with the operation and handling of the smaller 9mm but still had problems getting anything on paper, even at 20' and less. Mind you, this is a lady that has only been shooting for about the last 10 months and had never even been around a gun, to speak of, prior to that.

Range Trip #1

First mag, 8/10 on paper at 15'...this must just be luck right, simply changing to a different firearm can't make THAT much difference right?

Second mag, 9/10 on paper at 15'...hmmmmm

Third mag through 20th mag, 8-9/10 on paper at 20'. WOW what an improvement. I think I'm competing for love now...

One of the biggest comments she had about the gun was that for her short fingers, the controls were so much easier to get to. The slide release and decock are very close to the grip, which the decock on the Taurus is too, but the slide release is farther forward and being an inch longer is more muzzle heavy for her. She felt completely at ease with the gun all day and is now more than eager to go to the range when I say I'd like to go. The only problem I forsee...even more reloading funds going towards 9mm, but its worth it.

As far as the take down of the gun, as the poster said earlier, its not a big deal, 2 or 3 times and it'll be a piece of cake. Anyone thats been around some of the smith semi-autos as well as 1911's will find it second hand and those that haven't will get the hang of it really quick.
ardiver

Postby sigloader » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:14 pm

I have been looking for a conceal carry holster for my 2022

I have two but they are not for summer time carry. I have looked several places and have come up empty. Thanks for any help. I was a berretta fan for several years...my son is military and carries a 92s i think. so i tried them....but this Sig is like nothing else I have owned. Many rounds fired through my sig with no fouls. It was worth the extra coin.

Once again thanks for any help with the holster.
sigloader

Postby cavscout3dacr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:08 pm

iwish i had this pistol when i was on active duty.the sig nite sights and grip profile fit me to a "T". i found my best grouping w/147 gr.ammo.i use 147gr.federal L.E. hollow points for my carry ammo.I use a ace case fit-all holster for autos,plus uncle mike's double mag pouch.its a great set up that wont break the bank.hope this helps anybody who reads this."SCOUTS OUT"
cavscout3dacr

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols