>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P226 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby oboe » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 pm

I posted a reply after returning from the range - and now the reply is gone. Where did it go?
oboe

Postby whitehood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:22 pm

I read it. Just repost it. Here's the poop as I see it. There's nothing wrong with the B92 used in the proper setting. As a home defense or vehicular defense weapon you can't beat it. I really like them. For concealed carry they suck. It's too big, too heavy and too long. Then there is the safety. It's the standard DA/SA with the fire position requiring upward movement of the thumb. This takes time and repositioning of the grip, which is not optimal for speed which is a requirement for concealed carry. It's not so much for a home defense weapon.
whitehood

Postby oboe » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Damn! I must have accidentally deleted it or something. I'll repost it another time. Here's my range report from another web site:

Back from the range! I shot the two Berettas and the SIG P226 E2. My expectations before I got to the range: The SIG features and dimensions on paper made it the likely winner. The actual result: In my hands, the I shot worst with the SIG and best with the 92 Inox (not the 92A1 that I'd be getting). It felt best in my hands. As to recoil - shooting 9mm 115 gr - if there was a difference in recoil among these, it wasn't anything that screamed at me. If my life depended on rating the recoil, I'd need to fake it - I have no recollection of any differences. In a defensive situation, considering the few rounds that probably would be fired, I don't see how it could make a difference.

As to concealment, the shooting buddy from whom I borrowed the Berettas is not as big as I am - and I'm on the smaller side of average - and he chooses to carry, and carries the 92 IWB every day. He doesn't notice the additional weight (over the PX4) while carrying. He does notice it when shooting, and he likes it for that purpose. While in some ways the PX4 may, in theory, be more concealable, the difference doesn't appear to be that much. If a person wants to carry a 92 and wants to conceal it - then it can be done without all that much difference from the PX4.

As to the de-cocker/safety - there's no question that the de-cocker without the safety on the SIG wins hands down. However, there's no reason why the 92 can't be carried de-cocked on the quarter-cock notch, and with the safety on fire position. I'd prefer the SIG arrangement, but it's not enough to over-ride the feel and accuracy of the 92 in my hands.

So, that's my story. Not wanting to be hasty, I may repeat trying the SIG - but I'm already feeling good about the 92.
oboe

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:14 am

Here is the post you deleted, accidentally:

Via Oboe, following his range visit today:

Just back from the range. The PX4 and the 92 Inox both did very well. I felt better with the 92 if I had to make choice right now. All kinds of practice are in oder, including but certainly not limited to target paper punching. Taking tactical instruction from a pro seems like a really wise investment of time and money. You know the old Vince Lombardi dictum, "Practice doesn't make perfect - makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Why practice mistakes? With a pro, you can get in the groove and practice the good stuff.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:24 am

Oboe, I'm glad you finally made some sort of decision. We're all happy for you and hope you enjoy all the work you and everyone else here went through to help you make your final decision. Since that has been accomplished, I would like this thread to be returned to discussions regarding the SIG P226 and not your quest to find the perfect pistol, for you. In the future if you want to compare stories with the membership, please make use of the "Gun Chatter" section. These sections that are set up to discuss specific firearms, are just that, for that specific firearm. Thank you for your help and again, good luck with your decision.

Please return this thread to SIG P226 discussions and reviews only.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby oboe » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:39 am

oops. Yes, I should have stuck to impressions of the SIG rather than a comparative search. My apologies.

That said, the item you "re-posted" for me is what I posted on the PX4 thread, not from this one.
oboe

Postby sigtaz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:57 pm

I have had my 226 in .40s&w for about 9 months and have put about 600 rounds thru it. I couldnt be happier with this pistol it eats anything I put in it and does so flawlessly. I bought this weapon as a target and carry weapon. Super easy to care for and a super sweet shooter. was so happy with this that i bought the .22 mosquito as a target pistol.
sigtaz

Postby outlaw54 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:32 pm

SigTaz,

Make sure you follow the instructions on the Mosquito, it is one of the few guns that requires a 500 round break-in period.

Clean it first and then use CCI mini mags and clean it every 200 rounds and it will shoot like a champ. Sig does not make this gun, so it isn't quite the same quality, but mine is still a good .22.

You will read many on that thread are unhappy with theirs, mostly older models, but some have cracked slides.
outlaw54

Postby Zapawaf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi, I'm looking into the 226 for a concealed carry. This will also be my first handgun. I'm currently deployed and would like to purchase one when I return. I really liked the P220 but I was told it's to bulky for a concealed, and he got a P229, so I'd like to compare. I was looking for advice? I have learned a lot in research and I definitly am going Sig. I'd also prefer a .45 (or .40 sw if need be). Also I'd prefer double stack. Any advice? I'm also open to other models.
Zapawaf

Postby Zapawaf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi, I'm looking into the 226 for a concealed carry. This will also be my first handgun. I'm currently deployed and would like to purchase one when I return. I really liked the P220 but I was told it's to bulky for a concealed, and he got a P229, so I'd like to compare. I was looking for advice? I have learned a lot in research and I definitly am going Sig. I'd also prefer a .45 (or .40 sw if need be). Also I'd prefer double stack. Any advice? I'm also open to other models.
Zapawaf

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols