>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther TPH Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Walther TPH Reviews

Postby billwedg » Fri May 04, 2007 10:44 pm

Contrary to the specs listed here (DAO) mine is double action for the first shot, then single action. I bought a used TPH about 8 - 10 years ago. My early experience was not good - lots of FTF. I found that CCI Mini Mags were much more reliable than anything else. The thing that made the biggest difference, and what turned it into a reliable gun that will shoot 150 rounds before cleaning was a very simple modification. I took the firing mechanism apart and noticed that the little lever that is just forward and right of the hammer had a LOT of side to side movement. I put a small piece of ball point pen spring between it and the frame. This keeps it in place and dramatically improves reliability. It has always been very accurate with small groups right at the point of aim. With Mini Mags and my modification, it is also very reliable. No malfunctions till about 150 rounds, then a quick cleaning and you're good to go. When I first bought it I thought it was a dog. Now I love it.
billwedg

Postby Fogdog » Fri May 21, 2010 5:21 am

Great gun. One draw back I have to use CCI Stinger rounds or it will jam but it is very accurate and small enough to carry in your front pocket. It would be nice to see this in .17 mag. Being double action for the first shot then single action after really improves accuracy until empty, I wish the newer models like the Ruger LCP did the same.

I give this gun a 5 star rating.
Fogdog

Postby Ron40 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Wish I had one. My TP-22 Iver Johnson copy works pretty well, and has for 25 years. Gotta use hyper-velocity 22 LRs in it or it doesn't cycle properly. I can't find Stingers locally so bought some Winchester 37 grain hyper-velocity rounds, at $10 for 50. Market conditiona I know, but way more than they are worth when I can buy good quality 40 and 45 for $25-30.
Ron40

Postby DanBaier » Wed May 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Very nice pistol in the stainless model. Grab one if you can. Reliable and works well. With hyper-velocity ammunition comparable to CCI Velictor, the bullet energy at the muzzle is about 90% of .380ACP. A good concealable package.
DanBaier

Return to Pistols