>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber CDP Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby JTL » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:56 pm

UPDATED REVIEW OF MY CDP COMPACT II - After putting more than 800 rounds down-range, my CDP Compact has earned my confidence and is my new CCW piece! The WIlson Combat Mags and VZ Green Linen Ultra Slim Gatorback Grips are exceptional. After feild-stripping/cleaning eight times (in 800 rounds fired), this wonderful gun is extremely reliable and feels like an extension of my shooting hand (left-handed). Again, I highly reccommend this gun to anyone on the fence about the CDP...
JTL

Postby Patrol » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:03 pm

I now have my dream gun for IWB Carry. A Kimber ULTRA CARRY CDP II. I plan on shooting 300rounds out of it tommorow then I'll let you guys know how it does. It's a nice addition to my regular Pro Carry and it carries better concealed. I hope it shoots as good as my Pro carry and the Smith 1911Sc I own.
Patrol

Postby glockman45 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:17 am

I just purchase the Ultra Covert II for concealed carry. I am starting to have buyers remorse and I have not even shot the dang thing yet. NO HOLLOW POINTS? I can understand 230g hollows not loading but 185's too? I am going to get 500 rounds out of it, hopefully, in the next day or two. I can't stop thinking about the other TWO pistols I could have bought for this ONE. At $1,350.00, it better work REAL good after 500 rounds or ....I will report my findings. I carry S&W 340 PD also. GLOCK 21, Colt Anaconda .44 mag, on standby.
glockman45

Postby JTL » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 am

Before you decide to dump the gun, I would strongly suggest purchasing the Wilson Combat Mags (and discard the factory Kimber mag). WCMs are designed to push the bullet straight into the chamber (feed is same angle as barrel), whereas with kimber mags, the bullet is deflected off of the top of the chamber and cycled into the barrel. I use 230gr hollowpoints with no failures after switching to the Wilson Combat Mags (they will make a big difference) and are definitely worth the money in upgrades. I carry the CDP Compact and two extra loaded WCMs every day. I used to be a hard-core SIG 229 guy until I got familiar with the Kimbers. Now I have two Kimbers...
JTL

Postby jamesthecarguy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:23 pm

I did alot of research before buying, but settled on an Ultra CDP II. I considered the SIS Ultra due to its steel frame (less felt recoil) but frankly, the SIS slide serrations are gay and with the Kimpro finish, the serrations are way too slick and I've heard bad things about the Kimpro finish's durability.

Anyway, I have put 100 rounds through the CDP and all I can say is WOW. The weapon is exceptionally accurate for a 3 inch barrel. I know 100 rounds is not alot and the true test of these little Ultras will come after several hundred rounds, but so far so good.

I bought a Wilson Combat mag since I had read that the stock Kimber mags are of low quality, but believe it or not, the only two FTC's that I have had all happened with the Wilson mag. I had no issues at all with the Kimber.

There are a few things that would make this gun perfect: (1) a steel frame, (2) a right-handed safety rather than an ambidextrous one, (3) SIS style rear sight as opposed to the ramped rear sight of the CDP and (4) SIS-style grips on the CDP. All of that can be swapped out for a price, but so far, I love my CDP and will leave it as it is.

Now all I need is a Mitch Rosen holster for carrying it.
jamesthecarguy

Postby Patrol » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:57 pm

Ok shot my CDP ULTRA model awhile back. I shot exactly 300 rounds. Used original kimber brand 7 round mag. 2 chipMccormick 8round mgs. 2 wilson combat 8 round mgs made for full size framed 1911s 1 stainless springfield armory 8 round mag. Had a total of 6 jams shooting Winchester Q load 230grain ball ammo. All six came at different times from the two Chip Mccormick mags and the one Kimber 7 rounder that came with it!!! But when it shot it shot excellent groups at close ranges 15yard and less. Moral of the story. Pay an extra 80bucks for two Wilson Combat mags and its reliable enough to count on for off duty carry. My half the price Procarry II Kimber has never jammed.
Patrol

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Your still well into Kimber's break in period too. Dont discount the pistol untill you have 800 or more rounds thru it. I am a huge fan of Wilson's mags myself though!!!

p.s. Kimber mags suck! You'd think for all the money you pay for their firearm they'd have a decent mag...........
beltbuckle

Postby corvetteking » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:56 am

bought a grand raptor custrom shop and its has the worst trigger ever
corvetteking

Postby g4l » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:11 pm

corvetteking; If it's really as bad as You say it needs to go back to Kimber for work. I own three Kimbers and can't say enough good things about them.
g4l

Postby DaHustlerofHavoc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:21 pm

my buddy has 2 kimbers (9mm&45) i got a 45 cal taurus

i can not tell one difference between the 2 and the taurus is

$500 less great guns either way
DaHustlerofHavoc

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols