>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber Custom Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby dtcmac » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:14 am

I was thinking about buying a Kimber. But, after reading the reviews from you folks I think it best NOT to right now. Tx for the input. I am looking for a compact carry gun. I was looking at the Kimber (not now) and the Tomcat or a PPK. I have had great luck with my Berettas. Tx again for the feedback on Kimber
dtcmac

Postby gunnutz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:06 am

I have a taursu pt22 and a taurus pt25. The 25 gave me a problem when I first fired it (slide fell off), my dealer returned it to the factory for adjustment when it came back, I fired 150 rounds of remington ball ammo, fast, slow, full mag, partly full, etc. not a problem, @30 ft. I scored 486 points of 4s & 5s. my pt22 has fired 750 rounds, cci mini mag (only) without A single fail to feed or fire. My accuracy is a little better with this gun cause I shoot it more. Both guns fit nicely in a coat pocket! I had a custom Kimber 1911 45, stuck with it thru 1000 rounds of frequent jamming failing to feed etc. because (I was told it needed to wear in) finaly gave up and traded it in on a new S&W 10 shot 22. Im not comparing S&W or Taurus with Kimber, just talking about my experiences. Anything man makes can fail, but, my Charters, Tauruses, Bersas, and High Standard 1911 1A, all have LIFE TIME warrenties, take a peek at Kimbers warrany!
gunnutz

Postby kuma » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:16 pm

Update on the Kimber Ultra Ten II ... I have now tried 4 different round ball ammo makers and even wad-cutters (that was, of course, worse). Ive run about 250+ more rounds through it. I have tried different magazines with no change in the frequency of the problem (Ive been told McCormick are best, but cant get those in town - not sure whether to look for them and put MORE money in this gun... ). I routinely only load 5 to 8 rounds at the range on this gun as Im well aware if you cram too many bullets in any magazine, the dynamics of the magazine spring change as does the friction between rounds ... in short, things dont work as well. I can load 3 rounds and every it will still jam at about the same frequency. Still the same. Its back at the gunsmith for round two. I told him to take a look and see if he thinks the ramp angle needs tweaked a bit. I ran into a friend at the range the other day who just got a single-stack Kimber roughly the same size. Hes had no such problems. Maybe mines just a lemon, but as much as they cost, it shouldnt be this much hastle to make it RELIABLE. Im with your gunnutz - my Glock 27 or HK USP are my carry guns. Though not as smooth as this Kimber, they WILL get the job done if needed. If the gunsmith can figure this one out and can correct the problem this time, Ill post back what he did and my updated rating. For now, Im sticking with 2/5.
kuma

Postby Tucson » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:41 pm

Well, You guys that dont like em just keep getting rid of them and Ill be able to keep picking up used ones at a discount with much of the breakin taken care of for me. This is a tight (arguably the tightest) tolerance 1911. The reason this pistol is sooo accurate is directly related to this. So say 500 round breakin... I dont start to expect the kind of performance I want from this type of firearm until I have put many more rounds than that through it. I too had some issues with my TLE when I got it. I picked it up used and I figure the guy that got rid of it did so because of FTF or FTE issues. Even though I had problems I continued to tote it to the range with me every couple of weeks putting about 200 rounds through the gun each time. I didnt count how many times it took or how many rounds I put through it but the gun did break in and is a reliable shooter that is dead on accurate. The bonus is all the range time with it makes me that much more comfortable with it in my hand. I did find that the factory magazine sucked. The Chip McCormic shooting star is a great replacement for the factory Kimber mag. So you guys that buy em, try em, and give em up, keep it up. I like getting them cheaper used.
Tucson

Postby gunnutz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:58 pm

You know Kuma, all this talk about Kimber remindes me of the tmies when a friend and I drove English sports cars in the 50s, we made all kinds of excuses as to why they wouldnt start, brke down often, needed to be broken in properly, and we always heard of some special mechanic who only worked on English cars. Truth was they were fun, not maney people had thgem, and EXPENSIVE, but what do I know Im just old!
gunnutz

Postby VAP22 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:27 pm

Kuma, I was having the same kind of problems with my Pro BP TEN II. When I sent it back to Kimber, they informed me the frame was CRACKED. They have since sent me a new PRO CARRY II, and it works flawlessly. You should contact Kimber immediately.
VAP22

Postby dtcmac » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:05 am

Tx for the feed back guys. Theres nothing more frustrating than buying something new (anything, car, new tool) and not being able to use it because its not dependable.
dtcmac

Postby P.Greene » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:59 pm

I agree with Tuscon. Kimber mags suck !
P.Greene

Postby jallison » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:29 pm

Up-date...I now have 200 rounds through my stainless II. I had two malfunctions, nothing a TAP, RACK, BANG would not cure. One of the malfunctions occured with a new shooter and the other occured with me. I am not shooting ball ammo but I am shooting remington 155 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point, which is not the recomended round for breakin. Im still not concerned about the performance of the pistol at this point Im still a five on this gun. Im looking at what happens on the next 300 rounds.
jallison

Postby kuma » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:54 am

vap22, thanks for the heads-up. When I get it back from the gunsmith, Ill definitely check on that. Anybody know how Kimber does with this kind of issue since I bought it **used**?

To clarify, it jams CONSISTENTLY every 3 - 4 rounds. If it was only FTF/FTE even every couple mags Id enjoy shooting it.

Tuscon: no argument from me, this is hands down the MOST accurate, best feeling pistol of this size Ive EVER fired. But after the 800 rounds Ive fired (and I got the gun slightly used), jamming every third round is getting old. Have you seen McCormick mags make THAT much of a difference? If so, Im very willing to give one a try. Wheres the best place to get them? I cant find them locally. Seriously, Im posting here to try to find some help and share my experience, NOT to bash Kimber (though Im obviously a little disappointed in them...).
kuma

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols