>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-11 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby iliketoshootguns » Sat May 08, 2010 5:08 pm

rgillgil

thanks, I do live in Massachusetts which means there are less gun stores which means less competition. Also the Kel Tec p11 is not mass compliant but I was able to pick one up because of my job.
iliketoshootguns

Postby 96Bronco » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:20 pm

I should have added this one to the collection a long time ago. Picked up a basic p11, blued slide, this thing rocks.

Almost purchased the pf9 instead, but the extra rounds won me over with the p11.

It fits my hand great, minus one finger... but its not uncomfortable, just tuck the pinky up under the mag.

Also purchased the keltec belt clip attachment, will install that once I consider the p11 for every day carry. Right now I'm just having some fun with it at the range and putting it through its paces to see if I can get it to malf, so far so good.

And of course the trigger pull is long and some what heavy, but mine is really smooth. No complaints here, it just feels a bit like a revolver.

I'll give it a 5 for now, since I've had 0 problems. I dig this pocket piece very much.
96Bronco

Postby ryanomaly » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:05 pm

This is my primary carry piece. It doesn't jam often (only did with federal +p 135gn and fiocci, but once with winchester), with regular ammo my jam rate is around 1%, acceptable to me. Its a lot of power in a small package, easily concealed. However, the trigger pull is a miserable and long 9lbs, which makes me wonder if i can shoot fast in a self defense situation. i can pop off 3/sec with practice but sometimes when trying to shoot fast my finger hasn't made it all the way to the (long) reset point. I bought snap caps i'm going to use to practice. Nice 13 capacity. shoots low, but good enough for SD.
ryanomaly

Postby Tape » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:30 pm

safe queen, never fired, I was going to use it for my CCW but that changed. I love how light it is even when loaded with 13 rounds in it.
Tape

Postby Hay2bale » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:42 am

This is a very nice CCW. I have had it for a few months now and have about 300 rounds thru it. Not one single problem, it has functioned perfectly. It had a couple of things that are related to the price ($269) - there was not a full dot of white paint in the front sight, and I had to take an emory board to the trigger to smooth out some sharp edges. That's all.

The trigger is long and stiff. So was my Ruger SP101. I am used to it. I wish it was like my Sig with DAK, but that cost nearly four times as much. But I can still get good groups.

It's not intended to be a target pistol. It excells as a CCW. For years my favorite CCW was the Sig P232, since it was light, easy to carry, and it is easy to "point shoot" without relying on the sights. But the .380 ACP is a seriously whimpy round and I had been looking for a 9mm replacement. Glocks and Kahrs didn't do it for me.

This gun weighs less than the P232 (the weight shown on this page includes a full magazine, according to Kel-tec's site, the P-11 weighs 14 oz. unloaded). The blocky edges have been removed from the slide, so she just smooths out the lines in an IWB holster. The Kel-tec is more narrow than the P232 as well.

And BEST of all, it has the "pointability" that I think is essential in a close quarters CCW.

The quality of the machined parts, slide, barrel, etc., seem very good. The finish is not much to look at, but so far there is no sign of rust.

I had the rattling magazine at times, but now it has gone away.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I am VERY impressed with my first Kel-tec.
Hay2bale

Postby RVdriver » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:14 am

I purchased this gun new to carry in the vehicle that I tow behind the motor home. I also have a few other guns, one of which is the SCCY CPX-1, which is supposed to be a clone of this pistol. Boy was I wrong. The Kel Tec is terrible compared to my CPX-1. The pistol looks crude(mine is the all black finish) and the mechanical operation is not nearly as smooth as my CPX-1.

I guess the thing that I really hate is the trigger pull on the P-11. The trigger pull on my CPX-1 is smooth and consistent. The P-11 is smooth, up to a point about 3/4 of the total trigger pull, than it shifts to a harder pull. This is very distracting in that it sort of feels like the gun should have fired, but it hasn't, so you then have to continue with your pull, only harder. I did put about 300 rounds through the gun at the range and this did not change.

From my experience with my CPX-1, I wore a glove during my time at the range so that the pistol did not dig into my thumb/ forefinger skin. These guns are not range guns and are OK for their designed use, but not the kind of weapon that you take to the range to go through a few hundred rounds, unless you want to end up with a sore hand.

Accuracy was poor at first, while I adjusted to the trigger pull. I really never could make a total adjustment and for that reason, my accuracy suffered. At the same session, I had my CPX-1 with me and I could consistently shoot much tighter groups with it. The specs for the P-11 say that it's barrel is 3.1". I found the barrel of the P-11 to be almost identical to the SCCY CPX-1, and by measuring it appears that Kel-Tec uses the TOTAL length of the barrel assembly for their barrel length and SCCY uses only the usable portion of the barrel. The usable portion of the P-11 barrel is 2.5" at most.

My overall impression is that I wasted my money on this pistol and will be selling it ASAP. It do not feel comfortable with it and if I don't feel comfortable shooting it, I don't want it.

Although inexpensive to begin with, at $250, I do not feel that I will sell it for more than 1/2 that price. Perhaps I can find someone that just wants a cheap gun and does not care what it feels like when they shoot it.
RVdriver

Postby 96Bronco » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Update.

This gun just rocks. For its intended purpose, up close and personal, I feel a bit more confident when this is in my pocket.

I have around 300 rounds of what I have found to be a reliable carry load, Remington UMC 115gr hollow points... I know, not a premium self defense ammo, however I have had 0 malfunctions with it, and I am very accurate out to 15yards with it.

Personally I can shoot about 100-150 rounds in one session without any hand discomfort. The trigger is not a tuned 1911 trigger, it is a self defense DA trigger. If you take the time to practice with it, there is not reason to not like it. Also with the trigger weight, there is no need for a safety, which I have grown to like. Point and shoot self defense weapon.

Now that this is my main carry piece, I only put around 25 to 50 rounds through it a month. This way I keep on track with muscle memory, but also minimize the wear factor on the gun. In my mind this gun should last awhile, but I do see it as a semi disposable gun.

From what I have read on other forums Keltecs customer service is tops, however I have yet to need their assistance.

Simple used blued p11 with 3, 10 round magazines. 0 problems and 100% reliability.

And I personally have to disagree with RVDriver, I find the P11 a step above the CPX-1, in fit and finish, proven track record, and customer service, and not a fan of the safety on the CPX-1, I do know that they did something to update the safety on the CPX-2 however, which I have not had a chance to get my hands on...

But again firearms are great cause there's at least one out there to fit anyone. It all comes down to what "you" like about a gun. So I also respect RVDrivers opinion, just personally disagree.

My advice is, if you're going to buy a gun, shoot that gun if at all possible, at a range that rents them, friends, or make a new friend at the range and swap weapons for a magazine or two...

God bless and shoot safe.
96Bronco

Postby heynow1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:34 am

Wow, bronco we have this gun in common too . I love my p11 just replaced the frame. From black to olive drab also installed steel spring guide. Really good gun, not a range gun but 50 rounds is not too bad.
heynow1

Postby heynow1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:31 pm

I purchased this hand gun about a year ago used. Have put about 400 rounds through it. So far I have only had one FTE probably due to the cheap Russian ammo I was using (metal casings) I recently replaced the grip to an Olive drab and it looks way nicer than the black. It is a very simple gun the take down, to replace the grip took me like 15 min. Hard trigger do to the DAO but I prefer the hammer fired gun than a striker fired model, Especially when One is in the chamber will carrying. I liked it because I have big hands and though a compact,my hands fit great. I have One issue with gun it shoots to the left, I had to adjust rear site to correct. does anyone else have that issue?
heynow1

Postby heynow1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:13 am

Okay, I went to range today and the new steel guide rod starting making my p-11 jam. I know this because when I reinstalled plastic guide shot 100 rounds with no problems. Has anyone else had this problem?
heynow1

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols