>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Hi-Point 40/45 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Mardawg » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:04 am

NO.

The grip is too smooth and it must be constantly regripped between shots. Forget about it if you are a sweaty person and have clammy hands. Definately needs a slip-on grip to make it handle better. The magazines are notorious for FTF issues but I read that has been resolved on the latest models. A friend had one in .45 and let me run a couple of magazines out in it. FTF 4 times in two clips. Very unattractive in the looks department. Looks aint everything but its really ugly. And heavy.

HOWEVER:

Priced right for someone just starting their collection or on a serious budget but seriously, a used Taurus Beretta clone is only a hundred or so more. Save the loot till you can get a better pistol.
Mardawg

Postby Mikel » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:37 am

Im one of those Sweaty Hand guys but Ive not had a problem holding on to the .45. Ive got a friend making a set of checkered walnut grips for his, Ill post something after I get a chance to shoot with them.

If you think these are bad with sweaty hands, try shooting a couple hundred rounds through my 1911 with Pearl Grips. :0)

I got a Reloading press for Christmas. My son and I have loaded and fired 13 boxes of 45s in the last 4 days and have yet to encounter a jam or failure from the 45. I dont have dies for the 9 but have fed 300 rounds of WWB in the same period with the same results.
Mikel

Postby fattsgalore » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:14 pm

No comments on the pistols since ive never handled one, know a few poeple who own one and theyve never complained. On the other hand the 40cal and 9mm carbines I have had experience with. We took the 40cal carbine and a few other guns to the range. The carbine was absolutely the center peice. From the most experienced shooter down to the worst we all had the same response. Spot on. Even the most novice shooter could group an entire magazine into a targets head at 20 yards. Its ugly as hell, but you aint dating the gun.
fattsgalore

Postby GrOuNd_ZeRo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:33 pm

I paid only 180 including all fees and taxes and is defintitly on par with pistols in the same price range

What I meant was they are on par with firearms actually more expensive, so that part was erroneous on my part.

Its a better deal than surplus guns because of the warrenty and the more modern construction, might be a bit ugly but it really works well, esspecially for a budget gun.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Postby 5ring » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:57 pm

Someone mentioned liking the Beretta carbine but owning a high-point carbine. Have you seen the new after-market stock for the HP carbine which makes it look very similar to the Beretta Storm Carbine? You may like it. They have it at

www.sportsmansguide.com
5ring

Postby evillabtech » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:21 am

i bought a hp 3 years ago 40 s&w just because i was curious nobody had one i wanted to test it, a waste of money save another 300$ and buy a real gun springfield xd or the s&m mp40 the reason is the slide is way to heavy its recoil is like a 44 mag making the semi auto worthless fire one and come down to the target is way to long ccw stay far away from this one
evillabtech

Postby katfish8 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:36 pm

I have the .45 ACP and have no trouble with the gun. Striping the gun to clean all the way thruogh is a chore. Mine was used when I bought it.

As for those having trouble with smooth grips, I have seen some people using grip tape from skateboards and cutting it to fit the way they want.
katfish8

Postby Mikel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Commenting on what evillabtech posted; My two closest shooting friends each have Springfield XD's in 45 ACP, one is a 4 inch and one a 5 inch two tone. We usually all shoot together and the comment I hear most often from each of them is how little my 45 HP recoils in comparison to theirs even though we're pulling our shells out of the same box. It definitely has less recoil than my Combat Commander. Now, I've never fired a 40 cal, so maybe, for some reason, it has more recoil than the 45 does. It's a heavy gun, I'll admit, but that's why I rate it as high as I do. To be fair, it's not a good CCW gun, but neither is my Commander and honestly I think the XD's are too big too. Unless yours is a sub compact. Is that available in 45cal?
Mikel

Postby Cornell » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:06 pm

For those looking for a slippery grip solution, I recently put AGrips on my Kahr TP9 and really do like them. Inexpensive and designed specifically for handguns.

http://www.brookstactical.com/Pages/cmnts.html
Cornell

Postby P-3 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 pm

I own two Hi-Point handguns ( S&W 40 and C-9 ) I have been very pleased with both of them. They are accurate and will eat anything you put through them. There is a break in time of about 500 to 700 rounds. I am sure that that is standard for most guns. Two failed to feed on the C-9 but a little tweaking the mag lips and all is well. Before you make up your mind, check out the Hi-Point Forum. A lot of great advice and help. Lastly, if you continue to have some issues Hi-Point's guarantee is the very best. They will correct anything that is necessary to make you happy with this great product.

Cornell, A tip that I picked up from the HP Forum for grips. Bike inner tube for $1.69 at Wal Mart does the trick. Cut it to fit and there is no more problems. Bith my guns are fitted this way.
P-3

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols