>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

HK P2000 SK Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

HK P2000 SK Reviews

Postby Str8Shooter » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:43 pm

I have had this pistol in .40 (I believe its the V3 w/ decocker) for about a year and a half now which I carry offduty and I love it more everytime I shoot it. I just had to requalify with it last week and it was again flawless. The most accurate pistol I have ever shot including full sized pistols and I have NEVER had a malfunction with it. The qualifying distance isn't very far but even at 15feet all my shots are going into the same hole in the target. I carry it with Federal Hydrashock ammo but have fired even the cheapest practice ammo I can find and have never had an issue with anything. The only extra on the pistol are the night sites that came standard with the police discount through the dealer. I have owned Berettas, Sigs, Smiths, and fired others including Glocks and the price for this HK was well worth it. I have seen it listed for as low as $660 for nonpolice. If anyone would like to know where to get it at that price let me know.
Str8Shooter

Postby literaltrance » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 pm

I picked up this H&K P2000 SK in 40 S&W earlier this week and plan on testing it at the local range tonight.

So far, the build quality of this gun matches my full size USP 45 in almost every way. Although, one thing that I don't particularly like is that the slide release lever leaves the frame entirely when field-stipped, much like the USP 45, however, the lever actually breaks down into TWO separate pieces due to the P2000's ambidexterous feature, so that's *six* parts to keep track of when this weapon is torn down. Again, no fault of the weapon should i happen to lose a piece, but I can't help but get paranoid at the notion that I could misplace something.

Gonna try to post this without a rating. Hopefully I can add it once I've shot it.
literaltrance

Postby literaltrance » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:21 pm

Much to my expectations, this weapon delivers as promised :) Accuracy, considering this is a subcompact, is well above par, I was able to keep tight groups at 7 yards and was easily hitting center mass at 20 yards. I can say I am totally satisfied with this firearm.

However, there are a lot things I learned once I spent some quality time with a subcompact. Please remember none of these things are meant to downplay the quality and performance of this firearm. This is more towards the weekend shooter who is considering adding a subcompact to his/her arsenal:

-subcompacts are not casual range weapons: more to the point, I noticed fatigue and soreness in my hands about 50 rounds into shooting this thing. Shooting a fullsize is a breeze, but subcompacts tend to want to jump out of your hands more, which subconciously forces you to grip the weapon with more firmness. There is also an increase mental effort with acquiring your target, as a considerably lighter weapon and a shorter barrel length require more effort to keep the weapon steady.

-subcompacts amplify everything about shooting: recoil, different manufactured ammo, recoil, accuracy, habitual tendancies while shooting handguns...all of these things, by a factor of 2 or 3. For example, if you occasionally shoot left an inch at 7 yards, you're probably going to shoot 2 to 3 inches to the left with a subcompact. This kind of thing became VERY apparent to me when I switched from Magtech FMJs to Fiocchi JHPs (180g on both). Having shot both of these out of a fullsize glock 22, I really didn't notice a difference. Out of the P2000SK however, the Magtech was a relatively smooth shoot, while the Fiocchi kicked (and flashed) like a mule.

The one really favorable thing about the subcompact was the cleaning. It took me less than 10 minutes to run through this thing, and I usually spend twice that on my full size.
literaltrance

Postby literaltrance » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Keyman,

Yea, the things I found out after shooting a subcompact were very surprising. I spoke with a few guys I know in the force and it turns out these things are pretty common.

I hear great things about Sigs. In fact, that was going to be my purchase until I noticed what I consider to be "backwards" levers for the hammer decocker and slide release. Having fired berettas and 1911s in the past, my muscle memory just "knows" the slide release is halfway down the left side of the frame, and any safety/decocker lever is on the rear of the left side of the frame (or the slide, but the general area is close enough). I didn't want to relearn that, so I decided to pickup the H&Ks and I think I am just as satisfied as I would have been if I picked up a Sig (if not more so).

In regards to the relationship between Sigs and H&Ks, well, your guess is as good as mine. I believe Sigs come out of Switzerland and H&Ks come out of Germany, but I've noticed (as many others have) the striking similarities these handguns share when looking at them both from the business end.

I just signed up for an advanced handgun proficiency course here in Missouri and frankly I am very excited about it. :) I'll be sure to post the things I'm taught somewhere on this site, I'm just not sure where, yet.

Shoot straight, Keyman :)
literaltrance

Postby literaltrance » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:30 pm

I've installed some Pearce Grips (designed for the glock model 26/27s). It took a little work, but this turns the p2000sk into a real managable weapon.

I will include pics and some simple instructions on how to do this in the next few days.

I wish I could take more credit for this, but I actually got this idea from another person on another forum:

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33519

He really doesn't give lots of details on how this is done, although he does cover the basics and mentions this is fairly short work with a dremel tool fitted with a grinding bit:

-drill a new hole in the baseplate for the bigger magazine button catch

-shave a "dip" at the front of the Pearce floorplate to accomodate the lip which protrudes down at the bottom of the front end of the grip

-although the original poster did not do this, I found I had to take about millimeter off the back of the Pearce floorplate to prevent rubbing against the grip (20 seconds of sanding did the trick here)

I will include pictures when I find the time to take them. He explains this is a few minutes work with a dremel, although I found it was closer to 15-20 minutes per floorplate.

At any rate, the result is a much more comfortable and controllable shoot. Print potential during concealed carry is minimal, and in my opinion, this custom addition is well worth the effort.
literaltrance

Postby literaltrance » Wed May 14, 2008 5:21 pm

It appears posts can now take slashes again, so I'm editing this page to show the pics of modded g26/g27 mag floorplates to fit my p2000sk:

http://www.judecca.org/p2000sk_with_pearce_grips

I am using BMP format to get as much detail as I can since jpgs tend to remove the fine details
literaltrance

Postby Str8Shooter » Fri May 30, 2008 1:36 pm

Well the only real difference is going to be the size. The P2000SK is a subcompact and is smaller making it easier to carry and conceal if need be. Even with the smaller size it is the most accurate pistol I have ever fired. I do believe that the P2000 comes with more backstrap sizes but other than that it's just the size difference. I am not certain of all the trigger types but the one that I have is the V3, which is the traditonal double action(double on first shot and then single on the remaining). The double action is a longer trigger pull and then the single is much shorter for follow up shots. I am fairly certain that the LEM trigger is similar to a Glock's action but maybe someone with the LEM would know more about that. I would pull up the dimensions, weight, and ammo capacity of each and decide what fits your needs more.
Str8Shooter

Postby jobpatto » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:41 pm

This is not a review but I currently own a USP .40 Compact LEM (which I love) and I am considering getting the P2000 SK .40 LEM to replace it. I'm going to give my father the USP and either go a little smaller or just get a second USP Compact.

I held the SK in the store yesterday and I was surprised how thin it felt compared to the USP's. I understand the extra recoil that will come with the SK but do they have comparable durability, reliability, etc., as the USP's? I know of a number of USP Compacts that have in excess of 10K rounds through them and are still going strong. Are the P2000's and P2000 SK's comparable in that regard?

This is for concealed carry IWB and I shoot 200-250 rounds/yr. I love the functionality/size compromise of the USP Compact but I would be willing to push it a little futher and go SK if it doesn't get too unwieldly. I'm not concerned about discomfort, I just still want to be able shoot a respectable group in a defense capacity and at the range.

FYI, I do have an ultra-light 12oz .357 magnum for pocket carry so I don't need to go too small....and I do know the disadvantages of a powerful round in too light of a handgun.

I would appreciate any insight you can offer on the SK. Thank you for your help!
jobpatto

Postby g4l » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Jobpatto, I own a P2000 .40 SA/DA, My Friend owns the P2000SK .357sig SA/DA. My P2000 has between 500-600 rounds with no failures and it's the lightest kicking .40 Ive ever fired. I shot maybe 50 rounds through My Buddy's SK, for a small bugger it's quite accurate, the recoil of the 357.sig is snappy, but the SK lacks the buffer the P2000 has. I don't believe He's had any jams either.
g4l

Postby literaltrance » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:32 am

jobpatto,

As with [nearly] any subcompact, unless you hold the world record for smallest hands on a grown man, the pinky is going to dangle. The recoil of the .40 S&W itself is plenty manageable, but you're going to feel a little discomfort when that pinky is floating about. The build quality and accuracy of the P2000SK is incredible (just like the USPs actually, with a slightly narrow slide) and lining up the sights is also about the same, taking into account the sight radius is obviously shorter.

I shot the P2000SK well enough stock. I ABSOLUTELY have to say though, modding some Pearce floorplates made for the G26 and G27s made it MUCH more comfortable. If you have a Dremel and 20-30 minutes spare time, order yourself a few of these (one for each mag, +1 for a test run). They're 7-9 bucks a piece depending on where you get them; very affordable.

See the pics of the gun itself above on this site (I believe it's #3) as well as the images found here:

http://www.judecca.org/p2000sk_with_pearce_grips

My images are rather large, but you'll understand why once you start working on the floorplates. Also, see my post under this review thread from 4/30/08 to get a description of what I did.

Of course if you have any questions, let me know.
literaltrance

Next

Return to Pistols