>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 27 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby davidlee » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:36 am

When I carry my weapon, yes it is a weapon I carry for 1 reason and that is to protect my family, friends and myself. If in the unfortunate event I have to draw and fire my weapon. Then hopefully I will STOP any person or persons ie: criminals. If they choose to die that is not my fault, my intent is to defend those that I care about and those that cannot defend themselves. In my state it is a conceal carry holders RESPONSIBILITY to, if possible protect those that are in mortal danger. Again I say DAMN the warning shot.
davidlee

Postby g4l » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:20 am

I agree with the crowd; warning shots are in the movies, and We all know how real they are, right?....when Glocks go click click click after the final round...where 1911's fire with the hammer down...

Where is the warning shot going to end up? In the ground? In an innocent person? If You have to draw a pistol, it means "You believe the criminal poses an immediate threat of serious harm or death to You or a Loved One". I'm very surprised, and appalled an Instructor would suggest this.
g4l

Postby kep4321 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 am

Part of self defense with a firearm is identifying your target. You should not be firing on any target that you cannot identify, (including warning shots). If you can't identify your target then you also cannot identify whether that target is a "mortal threat" and you should not be firing anyway.

With a warning shot you can cause unintended property damage, injury or death with a riccochet, going through a wall, or by simply hitting something or someone else you didn't see like a second person you didn't see, a child, pet or other property. Firing you weapon should be the last resort. Put a light on or near you home defense weapon for your next late night drunk encounter.

Just on a side note about ammo, the Glazer safety slugs are a self defense round and is a frangible bullet with pellets stored internally and is not a shot shell. That round will do a whole lot more damage than a shot shell. They have worked fine for me in several calibers in several weapons but I don't prefer them.

If you read about the CCI shot shells which are the ones that I've seen and used, they actually have a warning that says that they are not meant to cycle semi auto weapons so don't use them in your Glock 27 or any other semi auto. They are not powerful enough to cycle the action in most cases.
kep4321

Postby plastics_guy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:23 am

Hmmm... Reading thru here I have to agree. I would also question the qualifications of any firearms "instructor" that recommends and instructs use of a "warning" shot or a shot shell. Did you check out your instructors qualifications; are they qualified by the NRA or similar? You might want to check this out before you just take his or others word as law on something like this since it could cause you to end up spending life in prison. Consider this, if you were to only blind a person with bird shot from your "warning"you could be on the hook for "intentionally" maiming them by your choice and use of ammo that you knowingly knew would only inflict pain and damage. This in and of itself could get you in serious legal (criminal and civil) trouble. Same thing if you were involved in a justified shoot but you put all 15 rounds into them. Use of deadly force is only permissible until the immediate mortal threat has been neutralized and/ or eliminated. If your first shot causes him to drop the gun and throw up his hands that's it. You can't just go ahead and double tap him in the head for good measure because that's how you've always shot at the range. We fight like we train. If you always practice shoot at the range doing 3 shot drills with 2 in the chest and one in the head, you could be in trouble in a real world shoot.

In regards to the drunk father in law or any other person breaking in to your home or in any deadly force scenario. If you pulled the trigger with out properly identifying your target or at a minimum verifying a mortal threat existed, you could again be in serious sh%$!

Like others mentioned, just the act of drawing your weapon should be strong enough of a "warning" to repel many threats. If they continue to threaten past that point to where you must defend yourself, you will be able to show escalating force up to use of deadly force.

Also be careful what type of ammo you carry. Leave any reloads for the range. I'd suggest using similar types and brands of ammo to what your local or other law enforcement agencies are using. This is for defense in court. Do you really want to try to convince a jury that you weren't out "primed and ready to kill" with your premeditated handloaded black talons loaded to shoot a moose. Easier to say you were using the same load as law enforcement deems necessary to protect life.

I would also recommend looking for an article I read a while back. I think it was by Massad Ayoob, he may have had a co-author on it. It was on what to do and not to do if you are involved in a self defense shooting. Actions you should take both long before, during, and after a defensive shooting. One thing that surprised me was that after you've been identified yourself as the victim and you've pointed out all witnesses to ensure police get their statements don't say anything else, no matter how minor or mundane you might think it is. They suggest you inform the police that you will speak to them in 24 to 48 hours after you have had a chance to seek legal counsel and to determine your rights. Take a look around online to see if you can find it. It is well worth the time to read.

sorry got long, it got late on me.
plastics_guy

Postby davidlee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am

Good points plastic guy, Law enforcement which I am not against by any means, when giving you your miranda rights never say, anything you say CAN AND WILL BE USED FOR YOU in a court of law, but anything you say CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU in a court of law. Doesn't seem fair but then again fair is a place to go ride rides or a skin complextion. Glock 27 is my choice of personal protection 24/7/365
davidlee

Postby Bigyella68 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:30 am

I agree with Davidlee on the choice of a Concealed Carry/Personal Protection weapon... Small, accurate and, powerful the G-27 is a very potent sidekick. And, after thousands of rounds through it... 1 FTF which I attribute to the Federal Champion rounds I was using. Great little weapon although, not for the meek!!!
Bigyella68

Postby athosbrag » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Question: What would you recommend for any scouring of the plastic grip for polishing sakes or smoothing? I have found a few gouges in mine from bumping into things with it...Safe action pistols! Also, installed the new trijicon night sights today, what a bitch! Does anyone else use a packmyer style grip like I do?
athosbrag

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Are you referring to the slip on grip? I use a Hogue Hand All grip on my G23. I have found it to be a great addition. In addition to the finger groove, which aid control greatly, I like the palm swells in them that add a little meat to the grip.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby firedawg60 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 pm

OK, really late getting into this thread. athosbrag, I really have to agree with what the rest of the troops are saying here. As for the warning shot, there aint no way...whether in my house, in the yard or in a forest, you just don't know where it will go. If you're pulling your weapon there's no time for a warning.

And as far as killing, that's why you carry. It's for the protection of yourself and family. I think it's rule #4 of firearm safey, never point your weapon at anything you don't want to destroy. I also believe that in Kansas, if you just wound your attacker, you can be charged with assult with a deadly weapon. If you take them out, it was self defense.

I've got a 23 and a 27 and love them both. I've got two IWB's and one modified small of back. I like this as the holsters will fit either gun. I just pretty much left my stock, haven't done anything to them. I wouldn't worry too much about getting all the frills for them. Get you a good belt and holster, ammo and a place to go shoot. Personally I would have gotten the cleaning kit before the night sights. I just picked up a pistol cleaning kit that has everything I need in it for about $14. For now, I use CLP on my pistols. Does three things all at once.

As for the tatical class, I think I would have waited on that. I would have just taken a good CCW class to learn the laws and a lot of range time. I don't go as much as I'd like, but I usually get out about 2-3 times a month. And I'll go through about 100-200 rounds on each trip. I thought about a 9 conversion barrel, but like Tig said, practice with what you carry. I totally agree with that.

As for my ammo, I usually get mine on line. I've found some places that I can pick up .40 for as low as $13 per box but usually averages about $15-17. 9's a little cheaper but I will stick with my .40. Ammo prices, for the most part, seem to be coming down.

Hope you enjoy your 27 as much as I have. Just keep practicing and honing your skills. And remember, it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. May you carry daily and never need it. Safe shooting.
firedawg60

Postby campgrafton » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I had a new Glock 27 Gen 4 go KaBoom. I was shooting new factory ammo (not reloaded or lead). Glock will not help. Glock tells me to talk to the ammo company and the ammo guys are saying talk to Glock.
campgrafton

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols