>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 22 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby SGT278ACR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:35 am

Phantom,

Will do. I'm not sure if I'll get to the range this week or next, but I'll definitely post how it goes afterwards. Thanks for the feedback. Makes me feel better about the purchase to hear someone else say I made a good decision. Everything I read and researched just led me to do it. Thanks again.
SGT278ACR

Postby PhantomII » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:12 am

SGT278ACR;

My initial response to you, for some reason, didn't put the link up to the review of the conversion barrel that I did for USA Carry in February. The link is:

http://www.usacarry.com/lone-wolf-glock-conversion-barrels

A pretty good article, if I say so myself! (Gotta stop doing that, I hurt my shoulder with the pats on the back) ;>)

// Phantom II //
PhantomII

Postby snke_doctr » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 pm

PhantomII;

Thanks for the info & great advice. I'll give it a try.
snke_doctr

Postby SGT278ACR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:57 pm

PhantomII,

Thanks! Just read the article. Great review! Makes me that more anxious to get out to the range. I used to be totally against polymer frame pistols myself until I fired one of my neighbors Glocks a few years back. I bought a Taurus PT709 earlier this year and was impressed with it's performance, so when I saw the deal on the G22's I couldn't pass it up. It was from reading this thread that I learned about the 9mm and .357 conversions and was my final selling point. Needless to say... I'm a now a loyal fan of the polymers and I got a feeling after this week... especially Glocks.
SGT278ACR

Postby PhantomII » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:58 pm

SGT278ACR;

I have been shooting for 45 years now, had always been a revolver fan, carried a Ruger Security Six .357 Mag as a duty weapon when I was in the Sheriff's Dept. I was not a fan of the 9mm, having seen the effects that it did not have on the BG's out there. That was the OLD ammo. The Personal Defense Ammo they have now-a-days makes it a different story.

I bought my first semi-automatic through J&G Sales, a Military Surplus 9mm Makarov all steel CZ82. I got to really like that pistol. My next was a Taurus PT140 .40S&W. I really liked it alot even though it was a polymer framed pistol. Like you, I thought I'd never own a "Plastic" gun...

I bought my G22 Gen 3 Police Trade In also from J&G Sales, paid $485 for it and 3 Mags, original box and papers. The pistol looked like it was new. Took me a little while to get used to thick grip and low profile slide, but it is one of my favorites, and I carry it as a CCW pistol in a Kholster IWB Holster. I've got a lot into it now with the extra barrels but I don't plan on getting rid of it either.

You will love the flexibility of the full size Glock and the multiple chamberings available through the Conversion Barrels. They are fun to shoot.

If you reload? The Lone Wolf barrels make it a breeze to reload, no Glock Bulge from a loose case head support!

Thanks for the kind words on the review. USA Carry is a great forum with lots of information that will help you and anyone else out.

//Phantom II\\
PhantomII

Postby cbruster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:07 am

I don't have as much shooting experience as PhantomII however, I have a very substantial amount between my service as a US Marine, Sheriff's Deputy and amateur competitive shooting. I thinks Glock's strong points are the pistols they offer as an overall system. They are very easy and intuitive to use however, just like any firearm, practice is required. They offer LEOs a system where they can run their full size mags in a backup-sized pistol in the rare event their primary pistol fails. They also offer a reasonably priced, quality handgun that is reliable, can be ran in either hand, and is combat accurate. They have the potential to be match accurate with very little gun smithing. I've ran my Glock 22 in a pistol league and shot low 490's (out of 500) with the stock trigger which I feel, and I believe most people feel, is the most inaccurate part of the Glock. The trigger is fine as a service pistol. Some people feel the Glock lacks a safety however, my opinion differs. In stressful, life-threatening situations, a persons fine motor skills shutdown. Non-intuitive safeties can get you killed. The .40 S&W bridges the gap between the 9mm and the .45ACP. I have tremendous respect for the 9mm and the .45ACP however the .40 S&W is very formidable, proven and is here to stay. I have seen a Model 22 run for 23,000 rounds with only two recoil spring replacements and no other repair.
cbruster

Postby snke_doctr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:43 am

SW-Insured;

I really like this forum! Thanks for your post of 10/8.
snke_doctr

Postby SGT278ACR » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Wow! Seems I've come to the right forum. I too have a military and LEO background. Good to see alot of folks with similar backgrounds here.
SGT278ACR

Postby SGT278ACR » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 pm

How hard, or easy, is it to change out the sights? Do I need to use a gunsmith?
SGT278ACR

Postby cbruster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 am

If you have a brass or nylon punch, light hammer, and needle nose pliers, you really have every thing you need. rear sight come out by using the punch and hammer. Start the new rear sight by hand then tap it in with punch and hammer until it looks centered. The factory, plastic, front sight can be yanked out with pliers however it cannot be reused. The new front sight is secured from the inside of the slide with a nut. I recommend a bit of blue loctite be applied to the nut of front sight post threads. I don't like the punch approach and recommend a sight pusher but it does work.
cbruster

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols