>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Beretta 96 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby PJ3 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:03 pm

PJ3

Postby DamageInc » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:29 am

I've had a 96 (and a 92) for over 10 years, and many thousands of rounds. I've never had a malfunction with either of them (knock on wood), and I wouldn't trade my 96 for any other pistol on the market. Accuracy is as good as any other other pistols in it's class, but reliability is what sets them apart. Ergonomics are also excellent, especially for us folks with large hands.
DamageInc

Postby stviper » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:30 am

I've had my 96 for a couple years now and it's one of my favorite firearms that I own. I've only had a couple malfunctions and that was when using cheap ammo. Other than that, it's been a dream to shoot. Mine came with a metal guide rod.
stviper

Postby dlm308rem » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:01 pm

I see PJ3 has put a lasermax laser on his, I am assuming this is the full size pistol and not the compact model.

I like my compact model moreso than the full size for the same reason as patrol double action only on the full size.

I also am dissappointed with the after market 20rd clip. it is crap.

I guess luck is with me as I have not had a jam with either of the 96s, although I have only fired about 20 rounds of "cheap"ammo through it. Anyone know where we can get extra clips for the compact model?

Fred.
dlm308rem

Postby PJ3 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm

PJ3

Postby Scout_11 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:50 pm

I have owned my 96 Brigadier model for three years now and think it as good as any other brand of .40 out there. I have fired a few thousand rounds thru it with no FTF or FTE. It is accurate and feels very natural in my hand. If you purchase this weapon you will not be disappointed.
Scout_11

Postby Uomu » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Uomu

Postby MSGAmling » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:11 pm

Alexandru, I don't think that you could go wrong with either of your two primary choices. Both are fine weapons. However, I would consider the availability of ammunition and/or the components of the ammunition (if you are going to reload yourself). I haven't been to Eastern Europe for quite some time, and I don't know what is available, but have a hunch that 10mm ammunition may be a bit scarce.

You didn't mention the 9mm Luger cartridge as one of your choices. With the appropriate weighted bullets, this may be quite satisfactory. I know that several nations in Europe prohibit handguns larger than 9mm, considering them weapons of war. But, you would know Romania's laws. Just a thought. If 40 cal. S&W ammunition is readily available, the Beretta Ninety Two, or the Model 96 are good choices. The Beretta 92 series in 9mm Luger (Parabellum) aren't bad either. Glocks are well known for their reliability, so if it fits your hand, you may have a winner with a Glock. The Beretta PX4 Storm and the Smith & Wession Military and Police (M&P) pistol both are available in various calibers, and have replaceable backstraps on the butt of the pistol, allowing the pistol to be correctly sized to someone with larger (or smaller) than normal sized hands.

Congratulations on your retirement. I know that you have seen a lot of changes over the past few decades in your nation, and the law enforcement has evolved there dramatically.
MSGAmling

Postby Uomu » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:19 am

deear friend MSG

Today I read twice time with enormous interest your comments and I think you are a proficient tutor regarding my buying indecision.

Thank you very much for your advice and for you wishes regarding my retirement. Anyway I'm only 40 years old. But I worked for police between 25 and 38 years. As you allready mentioned in my job I saw a lot of good but especially bad things.

ciao MSG amling
Uomu

Postby chance_of_rain » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:01 pm

Hard to believe this arm has not been reviewed since 07. Bought one for my better half a few weeks ago. She loves it. I like it too. We bought it used, it was a trade in that looks like it was never used. We paid a little over 500 dallors for it. Came with case and extra mag. Installed Hogue grips. This gun is a pleasure to shoot, accurate, and reliable. Back to the range tomorrow. Happy shooting.
chance_of_rain

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols