>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

AMT Backup Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:23 am

Hi again Kevin,

I wrote you in a different thread here so I won't repeat the whole thing again but wanted to point out something. You have mentioned that you sent an email to the "Gun Directory" regarding a battle test for several CCW pistols. I just wanted to let you know that this is the "Gun Directory". We go by a couple of other names as well. One is the Weapons Room and help me out guys, I think the other is E-Gun.net. They all bring you right to the same spot, here!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby 015255 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:02 pm

AMT Backup .380 - I have owned my AMT .380 since 1982 and have had no regrets.

My .AMT Backup .380 remains my concealed "pocket carry" pistol for those times when I cannot carry my Glocks or S&W.

It remains one of the smallest .380 automatics I have ever handled and has always been reliable on the range.

With two manual safeties, lever and grip, it carries five .380 rounds in the magazine and one round in the chamber.

It does have an extremely heavy trigger pull which could be an asset or detriment, depending on how you look at it.

It is a bit difficult to disassemble for cleaning but it is 1980s technology. I have never tried a "drop test" with it but, as stated, it is older technology so (as with all weapons) mature handling is a reasonable expectation.

Due to cost, the bulk of range practice is with Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) while concealed carry is with Extreme Shock Fragmentable Enhanced Penetration Round (EPR).

Summary:

Without hesitation, I would purchase another early edition AMT .380 Backup (with the external and grip safeties).

Postby 015255 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:40 pm

AMT Backup .45 (by High Standard of Texas) - I owned one of these for a while but it seemed to misfeed quite a bit, rendering it undependable.

Because it remains probably the smallest .45 ACP pistol I have ever handled, I would have really loved it had it been consistently dependable.

Two trips to the manufacturer and more than that to a professional gunsmith provided no relief to the misfeed problems.

Summary:

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the High Standard (AMT) .45 for a number of technical reasons (although I wish I could as it is probably the smallest .45 I have ever handled).

Hopefully one day they will perfect their Backup .45 as I would love to own one.

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:21 pm

015255, hello and welcome to the forum! I've got a newer model .380. It's the double action only model and like yours has a long and heavy trigger. Mine doesn't have any external safties at all. I shoot ball ammo at the range and keep Glaser Silver frangibles in it for defense purposes. How does your pistol handle hollowpoints? Mine hates them and is a real jamming machine when I try! I've read a few times that hollowpoints aren 't recommended in the AMT. I have to believe that!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby FHBrumb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:24 am

I had a 380 DAO about 12 or 13 yesars ago that did well. I recently purchased a 45ACP on Gunbroker. I paid about $350 shipped.

I did some Fluff and Buff, and now I just need to get to the range. I have read these pistols are hit and miss. I hope mine is all hit and no miss.

I'm going to get a replacement recoil spring for it right away, as a poor one of these will certainly keep this pistol from running at all. Wolff has a +power one that I want. Hopefully a good spring and the clean up I did wards off any bad Ju-Ju.

This pistol is to serve as a secondary to my XD-45.
FHBrumb

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:39 am

I didn't see your post until tonight, sorry for the delay. Have you had the chance to shoot it yet? Provide some more info on it, age, model and manufacturer. There are several outfits that have taken the helm for AMT. Your choice of a Wolff spring is a wise one. They make the best springs out there. I'm anxious to hear about the performance you get from it. Keep me in the loop! Welcome to the Forum too!!

tigwelder56

Postby nbanders » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Does anyone have a sources of magazines for the single action version of the .380 AMT? Preferably in Canada, but if not, some company willing to ship to Canada.
nbanders

Postby 015255 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:47 am

Watch www.gunbroker.com

They come and go...

Good luck

Postby nbanders » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:08 am

Does anyone know if the mags for the double action ony mode will work in the single action model?
nbanders

Postby melharder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:29 am

Am in need of a firing pin for AMT Backup 380 single action. No longer available from High Standard or other suppliers.
melharder

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols