>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

NAA Guardian .380 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:58 pm

Well Rocker, I didn't copy and paste anything. If you check the NAA website it explains the differences clearly. The .32acp NAA Guardian only fires the .32acp load. The NAA .32 fires a .32 caliber bullet out of a necked down .380acp case. The reason you can't fire the .32acp in the NAA .32 is due to the case size. The barrel is designed to support the .380 case and the section of the barrel that actually holds/fires the bullet is .32. You could put a .32acp bullet into your NAA .32 but the case wouldn't be supported and it's very likely the unsupported case would rupture, destroying the pistol and likely would injure you.

I think the point of manufacturing those three models is simply because "they can". People look for a nitch market. One that will entice buyers. Basically the NAA.32 is a faster, more powerful round. Here's a few numbers that describe that difference.

Remington .32acp 71gr. 950 fps 129 ft/lbs

Corbon .32acp 60gr. 1150 fps 141 ft/lbs

Federal .32acp 65gr. 925 fps 123 ft/lbs

Federal .32acp 71gr. 900 fps 128 ft/lbs

Corbon NAA .32 60gr. 1222 fps 199 ft/lbs

Federal .380acp 95gr. 980 fps 203 ft/lbs

Here's a good website that will provide information:

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/32_0924/

In the end, you're being given several pistols that perform well and in multiple models. It may not make sense to you that they manufacture several mouseguns in varying calibers and sizes but believe me, it matters to someone or they wouldn't do it. It has been a real learning experience looking up this information for you! Just because you have purchased a pistol that has a proprietary load shouldn't upset you. After reading so much about it, I believe you've got your hands on a real firecracker! It may be expensive to shoot and practice with but seriously, you're not going to be using this pistol for plinking, are you? It's a concealed carry pistol and I think you have a good one.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:29 pm

I forgot to add that other manufacturers have made pistols of different calibers the same size. The first that comes to mind is the highly sought after LWS Seecamp line. They have a .25acp, .32acp and .380acp that are absolutely identical in size, shape and function. Except of course the bullet caliber. Most of the time you have to put yourself on a waiting list to get one. They are built by hand, one at a time. They don't make the .25acp any longer but if you can get one, for the sake of collectors value, buy it. They started manufacturing a .380acp model that is attracting many at a premium price. I've owned a .32acp for a couple of years and it is one fine handgun. The next model that comes to mind is the Beretta family of mouseguns. The Jetfire, Bobcat and Tomcat. They are very similar in size and weight, and are offered in .22lr, .25acp and .32acp. So it's not unusual to find similar models in different calibers. I think it allows the shooter multiple choices in the same firearm. What could be wrong with that?
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby dood » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:39 pm

I just bought the North American Arms Guardian .32 ACP about two weeks ago. I have the two 6 round magazines that it came with and I just received from NAA two of the 10 round magazines that I ordered separately. The pistol and 2 magazines were $349.99 and the "hi-cap" magazines were $30 each.

Those 10 round magazines are really long, adding about 1-5/8" to the overall height. It has a built in grip extension that allows you to get all 3 fingers around the "grip". That make the Guardian a "convertible" pocket pistol I suppose. Really small for small pockets and higher capacity with bigger pockets.

NAA does recommend only FMJ in the 10 round magazines and I can see why. I've got some FMJ with a flat nose that simulates a hollow point cartridge. When loaded up to 10, the top 2 cartridges are angled too low and can't make it up the feed ramp consistently, if at all. Back the quantity down to 8 and the flat nose ammo will feed. Standard round nose FMJ feed all 10 with no problem. All of this is just racking the slide by hand and letting the slide slam back home at full spring pressure.

This Guardian looks like a really well built little pocket pistol. I'm hoping to take this gun to the range to break it in next week. I'll post back with anything new.

For now, I'll rate this pocket rocket a 5 just on appearances and price.
dood

Postby dood » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:07 am

I finally took my little North American Arms Guardian .32 ACP to the range two days ago. I took a box of Winchester White Box 71 grain flat nose FMJ and a box of Fiocchi 73 grain round nose FMJ. Before firing it, I did the usual and took it apart, cleaned it, and lubed it with light oil on the pivoting parts and a light gun grease on the sliding parts.

The outdoor range I was at only had pistol targets set at 10 yards, which is probably a little far for this little gun. Out of 100 rounds fired, nearly all hit within a 12" circle. The bullets hit the target pretty much to point of aim using the tiny sights, as long as you call a 12" circle the point you're aiming at. ;)

The Fiocchi ammo fed and fired flawlessly. The Winchester with the flat nose would sometimes not feed the last round out of the magazine once the gun was dirty.

The trigger is very firm in its last bit of travel. It works best to just pull it through in one sweeping motion rather than trying to stage it like a good revolver.

I fired the little Guardian .32 ACP strong hand, weak hand, and with both hands. Fired it with the included 6 round magazines and the extra 10 round magazines I purchased later.

For a man that is used to firing snub nose double action revolvers, this is a good little pistol to carry when you can't carry anything else. I'm not sure women will like this pistol at all. The trigger pull and the way the trigger pull feels on the trigger finger is not friendly to the casual shooter. Only experienced shooters should get the Guardian, in my opinion.

That all being said, I like my little pocket rocket. I will carry it in my pocket holster whenever I absolutely can't carry anything larger. Or, if I just want to show it off to friends because it is well built and very slick. :)
dood

Postby LevergunMick » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:54 pm

I've been floating between forums on guns I am considering purchasing. can I get some straightforward opinions on this gun? Recoil, reliabililty, durability, affordability? Is it decent for self defense?
LevergunMick

Postby ArmedTracker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 pm

levergunmick, ive had a Naa Guardian .380 for a while. shoots great, never had any jams/misfires. the recoil is kinds snappy since its such a small gun but nothing to be concerned with. its solid stainless steel. all the parts. trigger assembly, hammer, barrel, slide and frame. you should never have a problem with durability. affordability, well depends on what your idea of that is. runs about 400 or so. as far as a self deffense goes, i think a .380 cartridge is plenty powerful enough. alot of other countries still use it as a primary police round. put 7 ninty grain hydroshocks, or corbon hollowpoints. itll do the trick.
ArmedTracker

Postby g30 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:45 pm

I am happy with my .380 Guardian it is a little heavy and its kind of brutal on the hands but it is what I carry as a pocket pistol when I wear shorts or otherwise cant use a belt holster. I put CT grips on it fact thats the reason I picked the NAA Guardian in the first place because laser grips were available anyway it is a hoot to shoot cans etc it groups well sighted also. I never had a failure of any kind so far its been real reliable with white box fmj and SD HP's. Everyone that has shot it hates it it has a way of biting you if not held tight I am used to it now.
g30

Postby kiawah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Picked a 380 up a couple months ago, what a nice quality stainless gun. Very nice.
kiawah

Postby Prana9 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 am

I don`t know, if you know the presentation film on youtube, with the guardian .32; and another with the bigger .380 too; it seems to be a new feature, and shows the kind of quality of today, without stovepipe discussion...

Brave Unvisible Gun ?

By the way, what is a BUG, please ?

Bigless Unvisible Gun ; ) ?
Prana9

Postby Prana9 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 am

Prana9

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols