>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

OK, My first pistol

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

OK, My first pistol

Postby AZGunner » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:13 pm

Team, I am getting a pistol for self protection - I ride off-road and in small towns in AZ and in strange area. So need to carry the gun with me or wihin reach on the bike(bmw 1200GS). Have shot the Springfield XD-M and the Sig P226(?). Next I will shoot the S&W M+P and the HK 9m(USP)

I welcome your feedback and issues are price, fit, and safety - do like the XD grip safety.

Thanks

T
AZGunner

Postby BrianB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:49 pm

I don't have any experience with any of them except for the Springfield XDm 9mm. It is a very good gun so if you go that way you should not have any problems. Also, it comes with different backstraps on the grip to help with fit of people with different sized hands.
BrianB

Postby SW-Insured » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:53 pm

I have all but the XD. Concerning quality, durability, reliability, ergo, balance and accuracy -- the SIG 226 and the HK USP are clearly tied for 1st in my opinion. Since you prefer a grip safety then you should look closely at the USP specifications at the HK website. You will then understand why the cost of the HK is higher than the average semi-auto. The HK will probably have the least recoil due to their secondary internal spring which absorbs the recoil of the slide.
SW-Insured

Postby neverenough » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Hey AZGunner,.....Don't rule out the option, "My first revolver". For your intended purpose (which by the way, is wise) a revolver would do better in the fine powdered dust that you encounter off road on the bike.

You would want your weapon to be readily accessible and reliable when it is covered with a fine layer of "off-road". Not to say that most semi-autos are not reliable, but they have a tendency to become finicky when dust and grit laden.

Just a thought.....but have fun at any rate!!

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby SW-Insured » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:20 pm

AZGunner -- neverenough makes a good point regarding the dust and grit from "off-road" conditions. Revolvers will handle it better than semi-autos. A Ruger GP100 or S & W 686 .357 cal. in a 4-inch barrel would be excellent choices -- the Ruger being about $200 less. The difference being fit and finish. Both are rock solid, reliable and very accurate. Both handle a variety of ammo from .38 Spl; .38 Spl +P or +P+, or .357 magnum loads. S & W makes a "686 Plus" that is a 7-shot .357 magnum. Ruger makes a GP100 in the new .327 magnum that is a 7-shot revolver.

But if you are unmoved by that and must have a semi-auto, avoid the XD. It does not have the combat service reliability or durability track record of the HK or the SIG. Those are the top 2 choices -- again the HK has a variant with the manual safety that you indicated you prefer.

BTW, I own and frequently use all the above guns that I have mentioned -- except the XD. I avoided the XD because of FTEs I have seen at the range and in the "NutNFancy" video reviews.
SW-Insured

Postby GOANRA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:53 pm

For defense with off-road mess, if sidearm cannot be kept very clean, I'd certainly go with a .357 Mag Revolver.

I'd check the Ruger, S&W/Taurus and Charter Arms in .357 Mag and use the ammo that suits you best as SW-Insured stated.

My choice would be a +P rated, lightweight, snubbie.

If you 'must' have a semi, I'd go with a Glock under those conditions. They have the reliability, fewest parts, lightweight, easy clean, & can be buried...dug-up, & fired. However they have no external safety, so a proper holster would be in order to cover the trigger.

I ride too, A LOT, so being able to access your sidearm while sitting is a BIG consideration.

It's always a compromise. Let us know!
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Return to Pistols