>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

SIG P229 Help!

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

SIG P229 Help!

Postby ghostvette00 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 pm

I just bought a used SIG P229 in .40 S&W. When I got it home and attempted to dry fire it, the hammer would only go to the safety intercept notch. I tried both magazines and got the same result. Upon disassembly, I found a broken recoil spring. I replaced it, but it did not resolve my problem. I hesitate taking this to the range until I determine if it is safe to shoot. This is my first SIG, but not my first autoloader. Examination of SIG's website shows the hammer of a P229 sitting on the safety intercept notch. I suspect I will have to send this to SIG for repair but I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.
ghostvette00

Postby brainchill » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:09 pm

When dry fired most of my sigs only appear to make it only to this position ... even my new P220. Having said this, if the hammer doesn't fall the whole way with a round chambered it won't strike the firing pin and make the round go off so in theory the worst case in this should be that it doesn't go boom. I don't see that this would really be a significant safety issue. Obviously on the range pointed in a safe direction to test. Making sure that the slide grooves line up and that there are no cracks in the top or bottom end of the slide will make sure that it dan't fly back at you or something and the bore is clear/clean ....
brainchill

Return to Pistols