>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What do you think of a Glock?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

What do you think of a Glock?

Postby gungirlLV » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:13 pm

This is the first time I will be buying a handgun for myself. My first was handed down to my from my Dad.

I have been looking a Glock.

Also, I have seen them (a Glock 17) posted for about $460 including 2, 17 rnd magazines. (this was on K-var.com, my dad buys his AK stuff from them, so I was referred)

Are they offering a good deal? Any other suggestions?
gungirlLV

Postby g4l » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Glocks are fantastic pistols; rugged & reliable. $460 seems more liked a "used" price, so be sure of what You are buying. As for suggestions; You can compare the Glock with Springfield XD, Smith & Wesson M&P, and Ruger SR9. These are all similar configurations, by different Companies, with small differences in style, options, and feel.
g4l

Postby whitehood » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Nah, I looked at the website, the prices are for new pistols. Here's a bit of very good advice gungirl. Pay the extra 20 bucks and get the Glock 19. It's smaller, will fit your hand better and does all things well. You won't regret the choice. It's simply superb in all respects.
whitehood

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:55 am

What is/was your first handgun?

Personally I'm not a Fan of Glock but I do recognise their reputation for reliability and dependability. It's looks, features, and function which sway me away from them.

I'll leave it at that....
beltbuckle

Postby GOANRA » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 pm

I've only used Glocks as a duty sidearm. Minimal moving parts & super reliable. The downside is there is no external safety... not even a hammer or grip safety, so they must be kept in a holster. The Glock 17/19 are one of the highest rated sidearms, for what they are. I retired and no longer own any Glocks.

They are an accidental discharge [AD] waiting to happen when out of a holster, but that is a plus for a 'duty arm'.

Many prefer the Springfield XD9 which at least has a grip safety and a bit more heft to absorb recoil, among others.

$460. seems about right for new retail with 2 mags & factory case.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby HenryLeverAction » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Glocks are great pistols, if that is the design you like. For me, I'm a Beretta Px4 guy. With Beretta, it's a love or hate relationship, so I understand you probably don't like them since you are interested in Glock. I also like Sig firearms as well. If you really want to have an educated answer to your question of what firearm to get, look at the Beretta too, along with the brands previously listed by other members here.

Just like goanra said, there is no external safety, or hammer. these two things, in my opinion and comfort zone, are very important. I also like the decocker on the Px4. I think the best thing about Glocks is that they are great with the weight issue, and this is a big factor for a lot of dudes out there. Chuck Norris is said to have what... 250,000 rounds through his Glock. ? ha ha thanks "nutnfancy" for that statistic, however it's probably false.

I'd check out Wikipedia on the Glock, and read through the 17 requirements that Mr. Glock had to achieve. He did it great too!

G4L has all the Glock competitors listed for you below, I highly recommend you check all those pistols out, for they are all equal or better than the Glock. It just comes down to what you like.

The price that you listed sounds reasonable, just look around at some different gun shops around you because the one closest to me is kinda a rip while the one 20 miles away has much better deals for the same stuff. Suckers...

I hope this helped!
HenryLeverAction

Postby St8Shooter » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:49 am

Everyone has a preference. I personally love the Glock. They look like all the other "plastic" pistols out today. I have found Them to be very accurate, reliable, and durable.

For you the main thing will be size and recoil. As for the no safety on the Glock, I don't care. I train often and have been in high stress situations with the Army. With all weapons, don't put your finger on the trigger or point it at what you don't want to detroy!

Personally I hate the beretta M9. I carry it for the Army. They are accurate but... Now for the why. As a CHL personal carry, it is large and heavy with a 9mm. As a tactical weapon it does not measure up to others. No rail etc. Everything is a trade off. Size, weight, caliber. Look at what you will be using it for. Do you need lights or lasers on it? Is it to big or heavy and you don't want to "lug" it around all day? Find a friend that shoots or look at your local range and ask them to fire diferent weapons. Find out what you like.

Remember. Guns are like condoms... I would rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it..

Even a 22 cal deringer is better then nothing..
St8Shooter

Postby whitehood » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:00 am

About the only thing not to like is the grip angle and now with the 4th generation due out, that problem can be corrected.
whitehood

Postby HenryLeverAction » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:55 am

Hey St8shooter, just an update on the M9...

the M9A1 is equipped with a rail now. weight is a def downfall to that gun, but at least it has the rail! just updating ya so you know.
HenryLeverAction

Postby St8Shooter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks for the update henry. Unfortunately the Army wont change the platform they have... But good to know about the change!
St8Shooter

Next

Return to Gun Chatter