>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

first pistol advice

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

first pistol advice

Postby blacksonichorse » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:27 am

ok i about to get my first pistol i have shot a .45 .357 .40 and a 9 i want something that is good i shoot a hi point and i thought it was about to fall apart the smith felt good but i really like the p22 by Walther any suggestions
blacksonichorse

Postby BrianB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:26 am

I am not the most knowledgeable by far so all I would really tell you is it would probably be best to read through all the different threads for pistols you are interested in as there is a vast amount of variables from manufacturers and types of pistols out there as well as what you want to use it for, your hand size, whether you are sensitive to recoil, want to use it for target practice, self defense, competition, etc. Find what fits you and your purpose. Cost is also a factor. Maybe for your purpose, a cheaper gun will do, or perhaps its better to pay a bit more for quality if you are going to depend upon it in a life or death situation.

I have never shot a hi point but out of all the manufacturers, that is the one that I hear the most from people, whether gun dealer or private owner, that they are just plain bad guns.
BrianB

Postby GOANRA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:17 pm

blacksonichorse, What is the ourpose of your sidearm?

Target? Home defense? Carry? A combination of these?

Do you want an easy maintenence revolver or a semi-auto?

What is your budget?
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby blacksonichorse » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 pm

im real big into shooting i want a target pistol but if it come down to it i want to be able to hurt someone that breaks into my house and im thinking about the semi- auto
blacksonichorse

Postby blacksonichorse » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:37 pm

well the high point is flimsy it was a overall lose gun wont by one or shoot one again
blacksonichorse

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 pm

Again, what is your price range? Is your primary use going to be target shooting? Why do you want a semi auto instead of a revolver? Please explain.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby whitehood » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:10 am

Black here's some sage advice. No pistol does everything well. It's all about compromise. Size, caliber, concealability, accuracy, reliability, cost, etc come into play.
whitehood

Postby blacksonichorse » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:44 pm

well my main use will be target practice tell i get us to the gun and good with a pistol but i want a gun between 300- 800 dollars. i want to stay away from revolvers i have nothing against them i just like semi auto another reason is because when i turn 21 i want to become a Leo and i don't think they can carry a revolver i don't think it matters what caliber because rounds will stead increase in price but i thinking about a .40 also let me know what yall know on the conversion kit for a glock.
blacksonichorse

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Hey Black, you really have a wide area of choices available using your criteria. There are a few things to consider using the choices provided. First of all, if it's something you're considering for a LEO career, you can automatically reject a .22 rimfire. They're great for inexpensive target practice and varmint hunting, but they really aren't a good choice at all for self defense. With that in mind, your price range opens you up to several quality pistols available. It's difficult to say what your potential LEO agency requires in the way of caliber, if you know what yours requires, then you're ahead of the game. The 9mm is going to provide you with the least expensive ammunition for practice and carry. Then you're moving up to the more serious calibers of the .357 Sig, .40SW and the .45acp. Most of the pistols I'm going to mention are provided in all calibers. I'll let you do all of the various research into these pistols, but rest assured, they're all excellent guns.

Beretta PX4 Storm

Beretta 92 or 96

Glock 17-19

Glock 22-23

Glock 21

Sig P250

HK USP
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby BrianB » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Since you mention wanting to get involved in Law Enforcement I rather feel that there is a connection between this thread and the other you started concerning calibers in the same field.

I would follow Tigs advice as well and strongly support the suggestion to start with 9mm, if nothing lower. You may think, and/or have heard that it is not that powerful or that it won't stop someone. Well, it may not be as powerful as a .40 but I sure would not want to get hit with a 9mm especially if whomever I am coming at is a good practiced shot and can hit several times, though once would be enough for me and probably for most others as well.

Yes, the cost of ammo will always go up but it would all be relative, 9mm should always cost less than .40 and .22 will always be cheaper than both. Plus, right now, and probably for many years from now, 9mm will be one of the most common rounds available. It is also a very versatile round in that if you get a good quality gun you should be able to use +P ammo and there are also tons of hollow points and/or a combination of both.

With 9mm you will be able to afford to practice alot more, making you a better shot and also used to your weapon. What good is it to get a high caliber gun but can't afford to shoot it? I suppose you could use it as a club after you empty your magazine missing your target since you have not gotten as much practice time in. Hitting your target is more important than having bigger bullets.

A couple other guns that a person could add to Tigs list, though one may be a bit controversial and probably serve better as a second gun after learning the basics rather than a first -

Springfield Arms XDm- My wifes 1st gun (9mm) and she does pretty well with it. Alot of people love these guns and I have never heard anyone criticize one. Also comes in 40, but again, ammo will always cost you more.

S&W Sigma 9mm VE- These guns can be found really cheap, I got mine for 200 after a 50 dollar rebate, though I did get the 40 version but it was my 3rd gun. Some give these guns a bad rap and I can understand why, the trigger pull is REALLY hard. I did not like this gun at all at first, could not hit anything right. That is a big reason I am bringing it up though is that you will really have to learn how to shoot to be good with this gun. If your trigger control is not good you will not hit what you are aiming at. Otherwise, at least for me, it has been a very reliable gun, shoots every time I pull the trigger. Another reason is if you can get to the point that you can shoot this gun well, you should have no problem at all with the DOA (Double action only) guns that you may have to carry if becoming a LEO. Supposedly, part of the reason S&W put such a heavy trigger on it is because some Law Enforcement members were asking for a heavier trigger pull to prevent accidental discharges. Again though, probably not best for first time shooting but definitely for practicing your technique later. You would probably end up hating this gun but I think it will make anyone a better shooter.
BrianB

Next

Return to Gun Chatter