>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Help choosing my first handgun

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby GOANRA » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:34 pm

I've used Glaser "Saf-T Slugs" since the early 80s. They are great for folks with neighbors. The "Blue' are jacketed, compressed 12 shot with a nylon ball for a round nose to feed. The 'Silver' is the same with compressed #6 shot.

I use the 'Blue' and have tested them a bit. They easily penetrate a new 55 gallon drum at 20 feet.

Tried a couple to butcher Hogs [280 lbs], but they are way too powerful for that.

Be certain your sidearm is +P rated before using them though. I use them in my 9mm PF9 to make it a serious protection arm.

Since self-defense shots beyond 12 ft are relatively non-existent, the "Saf-T Slugs" offer devastating results with some built-in 'liability' coverage. LOL
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby ChiroKai » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 am

All good points on the ammo type, guys. I do live in a condo apt at this point and have a common wall with neighbors. Wouldn't want them to be on the bad side of things.
ChiroKai

Postby wyf » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:55 am

Three good gun choices I would go with the sig or usp or anything in 45 acp or at the very least 40 s&w and glasers are in my opinion the best frangible rounds.
wyf

Postby ChiroKai » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks for all the info and advice. I just wanted to let all you know that I went with the beretta92. Couple of reasons: in the end it was down to just the 92 or the sig. H&K didn't make the final cut because the mag release button just didn't do it for me and was a two hand operation instead of one. I love the sig 226/229 and will most likely own one eventually. For now the 92 was the way to go because for a starter gun I didn't want to spend 1,000+ the way I would with a sig. Price was right with beretta, has solid track record and reputation, and I've fired it several times and felt solid each and every time. The sig and others will be part of the collection in time. Thanks!
ChiroKai

Previous

Return to Gun Chatter