>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Question from a gun novice

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby robalan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:25 pm

robalan

Postby Will_Carry » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:09 pm

I really like the .357 magnum revolvers for a first gun. You can shoot a variety of ammo in it from low recoil 38 specials to hard hitting .357 magnums.

For you however I would recommend the Glock 19 or a Springfield XD in 9mm, although the Smiths and the Rugers are good too. 9mm is a good caliber for a first time gun owner and have good stopping power for self defense.

While you are looking, start educating yourself on how to safely operate a handgun. Safety discipline is the single most important part of owning a firearm. Learn everything you can about the subject.

Think twice before you show your new gun to a "friend".

Never hand anyone a loaded firearm.

Never put your trigger finger inside the trigger guard until you a ready to shoot.

These are a few of the things you MUST learn before you even buy a gun. Good lucky George. Let us know what you buy. If you get a .357 you will be well armed, but the Glock 19 is the gold standard of pistols.
Will_Carry

Postby ulgydog56 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:36 pm

robalan the polish gun is well and all good ,but unlike a makarov rd. the .38 or .357,9mm para you can by anywhere and parts for that gun?....have fun with it but i don,t think it would be a first choice for a first handgun...
ulgydog56

Postby robalan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 pm

When I was in college I bought a 22 caliber revolver for around 50 or 60 dollars. A 38 or 357 would have been great, but were out of my price range.
robalan

Postby RudeDog » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:46 am

I think you would be better served to just take a self defense course.
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys
RudeDog

Postby Tinmancr » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:12 am

I have a mk3 2245 not the best choice for a beginner it has a real light trigger and for target use.

it is very reliable and super accurate so well worth the $300.

I hate to say it but revolvers are often more costly and less practical.

I would lean towards a hi point c9 or the 380 for 150 or less, more gun less cost very easy to use as well.

for an even more compact there are lots of choices most are over priced and not overly safe

both the glock and the springfield are a little more pricey but will do nicely.

if you have small hands a glock may be a good choice but takes getting used to.

for larger hands the xd is better and a bit easier for most but if you get one read the manual closely.

you should get some training, but experience is as good a teacher as any so be careful and learn how ever you want.
Tinmancr

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am

A Hi Point??? Only if it was the last gun on earth, lol!! Save your money and buy a Bersa Thunder 9mm or a used Glock if money is tight. You get what you pay for...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ulgydog56 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:00 pm

ditto that baby'..........................................
ulgydog56

Postby Tinmancr » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:39 pm

aesthetics don't effect real performance, my 45 will shoot sub 2 inch groups at combat range.

and is made in USA on the other hand your south american weapon does look pretty good.

how do they shoot, no one up here even has them that I have seen.

back on point for conceal ability and training purpose a walther p22 is hard to beat and runs $300+. "it is much pickier with ammo than most so read up on them"
Tinmancr

Postby pcnightmare » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:25 am

A wise man once said that you should always use the largest caliber that you are competent with. In that vein, my wife is absolutely deadly with a 22lr and could drill a shot through a bad guy's eye socket in a heartbeat. In her hands, the small gun is unquestionably deadlier than a 45acp or a 10mm. Find what you shoot well and stick with it. Shot placement trumps all.
pcnightmare

Previous

Return to Gun Chatter