>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Gun novice looking for help!

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Gun novice looking for help!

Postby samuellee60 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 am

I'm 21 years old, and I just recently acquired my first gun, a Marlin .22 Model 60 I had read many reviews and heard about how marvelous this rifle was and perfect for gun novices looking to start collecting. The problem is, as soon as I fired my uncles, I was hooked.

The rifle was given to me by my uncle, who had it given to him. I'm curious about the age, as my uncle says its at least 20 years old (and I hear these guns last a long time!).

How would I go about finding the age of my Marlin .22 Model 60?

I'm also looking to acquire a handgun, just for defense now. I am on a very limited budget, and have seen a few that have interest me. The Hi-Point brand looks perfect (albeit its ugly as hell and bulky from what I hear). Down the road I would love to be a serious collector and purchase a nice pistol when I have the money. But for now, I think maybe any Hi-Point would be acceptable, particularly the 9mm.

Would the 9mm be a good self-defense pistol?

Does anyone have any suggestions about Hi-Point pistols or any other cheap Pistols?

Thank you.
samuellee60

Postby Brad270 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:18 am

Samuellee60:

The Marlin model 60 was introduced in 1960. If you want to get the date of manufacture for your rifle, you'll have to contact the manufacturer with the serial number. 50 years old isn't that old for a firearm (or a human I'm told) and if you take good care of it, you should be able to pass it down for generations.

If you are buying a handgun for defense and are limited on funds, consider getting something used that a gunsmith has thoroughly checked out. Generally speaking, the cheaper the gun, the less finishing and quality control goes into the manufacture. You get what you pay for and seeing you want the firearm for defense, what are you worth to yourself?

As far as caliber for defense weapons goes, it depends on what you can handle effectively and accurately. Have you trained with handguns? In the right hands, even a .22 is effective in most cases. Generally, the bigger the caliber rounds have more stopping power but, if you can't control it then its less effective than a smaller caliber. Get handgun training and practice with a variety of models to determine what is best for you.
Brad270

Postby ShootSS » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Indeed, the Hi Point is bulky and ugly, but the funny thing is, most of them are very reliable. Don't get the .380, but the 9mm and .45 have received good reviews from gun testers. The point Brad makes is valid though. The Hi Points are not as well made, so will not last as long, although they do a fine job initially. Perhaps a better point would be to save a while in order to get something better. Some would argue that a used ____ is better than a new Hi Point, and in most cases, that would be a good argument.

Samuel, why don't you do some research on what you REALLY want, then come back and ask us what we think. Who knows, one of us might have a used one we might be willing to part with. If your situation is that you need a handgun now, by all means, get a Hi Point. IMO they are better than a Lorcin or Jennings (two other less expensive brand names) even if they are uglier.

Stick around, I guarantee you will learn something.

ShootSS
ShootSS

Postby ulgydog56 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 pm

kid don,t sweat what year that marlin 60 was made ,they made millions of them for cheap, it is a fun gun to shoot tho just have fun with it......aND INJOY......
ulgydog56

Postby agonist » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:45 am

Indeed. It doesn't matter when your 60 was made. It's value is based purely on condition. I have to disagree with uglydog's assertion that they were made for cheap though. It's a value based rifle yes, but a quality firearm through and through. You will find that it shoots as well or better than most high end .22s.

The only issue you are likely to have is FTE's when it gets dirty so keep it clean and you'll love it forever.

For a pistol if you're looking for a carry pistol you won't be happy with the Hi Point. It's very bulky. If it's just for home defense I would start with a revolver. Good .38's and .357's are a-plenty and can often be had for reasonable prices.
agonist

Return to Gun Chatter