>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

uneducated gun shopper

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

uneducated gun shopper

Postby tjbeesafe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 pm

I am looking for my 1st gun and need some help. I want something easy to use and take care of. It is only for personal safety protection in my home. I don't want to break the bank tho since hopefully I wont ever need it.

Any help would be appreciated. My family are not exactly gun enthusiast so I'm really on my own with this.
tjbeesafe

Postby BrianB » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:27 pm

For what you are asking my first thought would be a .38 revolver. Revolvers have their positives and negatives but for the most part the positives outweight the negatives, at least to what you are asking for.

Revolvers are considered more reliable than Semi-autos since they have less moving parts which equals less things that can go wrong. 38 ammo is a relatively cheap ammo, not the cheapest, but affordable and about the cheapest for a revolver for self defense purposes.

The only real negative is that they generally hold less ammo than a Semi and can take longer to load unless you are a very practiced individual with the correct setup.

38 revolvers can be found pretty cheap but like any product, you may get what you pay for. Figure out what your budget is, read the reviews here and/or elsewhere, go to a place that has the models for sale, or a range to rent and try them out, and make your decision from there as to which to purchase.

If you have not used a gun much or at all in the past I also strongly recommend getting some training so you know how, and how not to, use it. Figure that in your budget as well if you need to, it is cheap, relatively speaking, and will help tremendously.
BrianB

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Brian is wise! Listen to him. Read his post below. For a first pistol or for a pistol for a non-shooter a 38 special revolver is the best option. In my humble opion.

Pistols in 38 special. Taurus, Charter Arms and a few others make affordable 38 special. Look on this web site under 38sp.

Ruger and Smith and Wesson make the best.
Will_Carry

Postby ulgydog56 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:07 pm

ditto, the wheelgun is the most easy to use ,simple and bullit proof the .38 is great and not over powering and fun to shoot plus you can step up to .38 powerplus loads when wanted,also have a look at the .327 mag revolver great gun for what you want it for. and pratice,pratice,pratice......have fun.
ulgydog56

Postby Mik3e » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:13 am

You mentioned 'personal safety protection'. The first thing you want is a gun that makes a big noise, like a .357, for myself I have a Ruger GP100. Next find a wall you can shoot into without hurting anyone (...thing), like a corner where you can shoot into a series of 2x4's. Then mentally prepare yourself shoot someone who doesn't run away, big step. Then mentally prepare yourself to spend hundreds of dollars shooting holes in paper,bigger step. Try to keep your family out of this, that will cost even more.
Mik3e

Postby judgeparker » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:14 pm

What Mik3e was talking about first was to practice dry firing your revolver which means unload the gun take all ammo out of the room you are practicing in. Face a wall that you know it's safe to shoot through (God forbid you forgot to unload first) . Check to make sure the gun is unloaded. CHECK AGAIN just to be safe!! Hold the gun in your preferred hold and take aim at a place on the wall and slowly pull the trigger . Watch the sights and try to keep them as steady as possible. do this several times a day until you master the trigger then you can get a holster and practice drawing and dry firing. Like Brian said taking lessons from a professional trainer is the best way to go. Remember Never point your gun at anything you do not want to destroy Be safe and have fun.
judgeparker

Postby Will_Carry » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 pm

You don't want to break the bank. In these pistols below, you get what you pay for. Ruger and Smith & Wesson are great pistols. Rossi and Taurus are affordable pistols. For a few dollars more you can get each of these pistols in .357 magnum. A .357 can shoot .357 loads and 38 special loads. The .357 magnum has the highest one shot stop rating of any pistol caliber made. it has a 96% chance of stopping an attacker with one shot. A 38sp has a 52% chance of a one shot stop. 78% with 38 sp +P. Check out Chuck Hawk's chart.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

I would trust any of these revolver on this list with my life.

Rossi 4" 38sp $300

Rugger SP-101 38sp $475

Smith and Wesson 38sp model 10 4" $625

Taurus model 82 38sp 4" $332

The best way to but good pistol at bargain prices is to buy used pistols. If you know what to look for you can get great deal on smith & wesson Rugers or even Colt revolvers. Here are some tips from Chuck Hawks who I respect for his knowldge.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/used_handgun.htm

I found a great deal on a smith & wesson 38sp by learning from chuck. It is a 40 year old chief's special made 1967 at a time the were practically hand made. It's a great gun.
Will_Carry

Postby ulgydog56 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:28 pm

charter arms is ok also....
ulgydog56

Postby whitehood » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Don't forget CZ. Great weapon for the price.
whitehood

Return to Gun Chatter