>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Advice needed for newbie

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Advice needed for newbie

Postby pkop » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:16 am

I'm thinkiing of purchasing a pistol and getting concealed carry permit. I'm thinking of a Walther 380 but am open for suggestions. Want something small for around 400 bucks that will be fun to shoot.
pkop

Postby lrgcal4fun » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi pkop,

My first suggestion is that you look for a way to get some training and tell the trainer that you want to try some of his/her guns. Or, look for a range that rents guns so you can try the Walther and a few others. But either way, look for a good trainer to take a class from. Gun handling and self defense involve subtleties (and legal technicalities) that most people will not notice just by watching.

Walther makes good guns but I can give you more suggestions if you tell me what you like about the Walther you have in mind. There are a lot of similar guns on the market each with their strong points.
lrgcal4fun

Postby pkop » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 pm

lrgcal4fun

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know you could try out a weapon from a trainer. I will pursue that angle. Not knowing beans about what to look for I will have to rely on internet sites and advice from those that know.
pkop

Postby lrgcal4fun » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:59 pm

pkop,

You are very welcome. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Most of us here are very willing to help. We love the shooting sports and want to see others safely enjoy those sports. When it come to making wise preparation for self defenses, the same applies.

If you have not read the thread "Please get basic gun training" under "Gun Chatter" I recommend it. A lot stories are being told there that teach us all important lessons on the safety side of gun use.

Hope you enjoy the leaning to shoot, etc. experience.
lrgcal4fun

Postby Will_Carry » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:53 pm

The first two pistols I bought were the worst two pistols I have ever owned. I didn't know much about handguns and I had not shot either one before I bought them. The good news is that I learned a lot from the experiance and I was able to sell the pistols. So I came out ahead in my book. You will not get better advice than these guts here on this forum.

That's one of the things I like about it.

A Walther 380 is a classic handgun, you have good taste.

I would follow the advice of Lrcal4fun and try different pistols before you buy. You are going to get so many recommendations that it will boggle your mind. I know you will make a good choice.
Will_Carry

Postby ulgydog56 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:12 pm

hey don,t overlook wheel guns as a first handgun,you can,t go wrong there................................
ulgydog56

Postby drygulch » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 am

When checking out guns, you should also check out the Ruger LCP.

Here's a link to some at GunsAmerica. I've bought several guns here with no problems. http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=ruger%20lcp
drygulch

Return to Gun Chatter