>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Best .45 ACP for me?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Best .45 ACP for me?

Postby southphilly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:12 pm

I'm stuck between the springfield, glock, and the 1911's.

For concealed carry, outter and inside both, do any of you guys have issues with the thickness of the side stacking guns?

My uses for the gun would be concealed carry and just general range shooting, nothing fancy. From what it seems, any full size is going to be pretty bulky, what would you guys go with and why? I wanted to hear from regular gun owners instead of some possibly biased google review.
southphilly

Postby Will_Carry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:04 pm

For concealed carry I like the Glock 36. It is smaller than the Glock 19. It's the slimest Glock made but it also holds the least amount of ammo. 6+1. I have an extended +1 magazine that gives me 7+1. My 1911 actually conceals very nicely! It's just that the cocked hammer catches on my clothing sometimes and you have to depress the safety with the thumb as you draw. I have an XD-45 that is a great shooter and I carry sometimes with the 13+1 magazine.

The reason I like the Glock becuase that it's light, compact, accurate, dependable and easy to operate. Plus it shoots 45acp. The XDs are just as accurate and dependable. The 1911 stands on it's own, well deserved reputation.

I would strongly suggest looking at the Glock 30 too. It's thicker because it has a 10 round double stack mag.

All three pistols are great! You have good taste in hand guns. Good luck! Post what you buy and give a review.
Will_Carry

Postby robalan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:10 pm

I recently purchased a SmartCarry holster and Kimber Ultra. This little 45 is great for me. I really like the slim handle and I was suprised how little the recoil is on it. This one has the 3" barrel, I am sure a 4" one would carry well in this type of holster too. You probably need to just look at a bunch of guns and holsters. If at all possible shoot a few guns. You will find the one right for you.
robalan

Postby JustBen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:57 pm

There is a difference between a range gun and a concealed carry gun. A .45 is a good carry gun and the size of the grip is more important than a short barrel for CCW. You should carry an extra magazine anyway, so the smaller Glock is a good choice in my opinion.

I would not use any of these guns for a range gun. Just get a 9mm for range time and save yourself a lot of money and shoot more.

Best of luck.
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Also, I would recommend carrying inside the waiste band. It is really the same in terms of comfort, but you get much more concealability and retention.
JustBen

Postby Doriadiver » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:40 am

I have a number of 45's including 2 Kimbers, a Beretta Cougar and a Sig 220 love em all but the one I carry is the Kimber Ultra. Nice and light and fits in the waistband or on the hip nicely when the Florida heat allows. On super hot days, it's a Kimber Solo. The new pocket sized 9. It likes heavier loads (124gr and up) but shoots great and is VERY concealable in any climate.
Doriadiver

Postby smith6906 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 pm

concealed i would say a 1911. they are thinner, come in 3" barrels and easy to use/carry.

reliablity.......heck 1911's and Glocks are on the same page. both will go boom. niether have a chance of jamming and if they do its very small. go out and feel some out, go with what feels good.

only plus side glock has over the 1911 is a 13 shot capacity of .45acp vs the 1911's 8 shot mag :-)
smith6906

Postby MightyFoFaad » Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Too many years ago to mention, I bought my first pistol at a pawn shop. It was a surplus Army .45 & since it was the gun I learned to shoot with, I guess I was imprinted to the "1911" style & shape. By God's grace, I have been able to own many guns since then.

They range from various Colt 45's, Browning HiPower 9mm's, Taurus PT940 .40 S&W, etc. What all of these guns have in common were their "1911 or Browning" shape & action. The style & size; just "suits me."

One exception: A great CCW .45 that is light, reasonably small & totally reliable. The Taurus PT145 http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=40&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries= paired up with a compact belt slide holster. It's a light combo with very little silhouette. If you can rent one to try it out, you'll love it. Wear it for a week & you'll soon forget it's there.
MightyFoFaad

Postby HenryLeverAction » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Glock 30 should do the trick for you. Sub-compact and 10 rounds in the magazine! One of my buddies is always braggin' on the magazine capacity for a .45 Auto. I would check out the Smith&Wesson M&P .45 if you are still looking around (ha prolly not). It is a slimmer .45 than most and it feels great to shoot.
HenryLeverAction

Postby Doriadiver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:12 am

Just picked up a Glock 30 myself, after years away from the "plastic guns". Freakin thing is a tack driver, I love it! Why the hell I sold the ones I had is beyond me. Still love my Kimbers but boy...aesthetics aside it's hard to argue about a gun that always goes boom, isn't picky about ammo and comes with two mags at half the price.
Doriadiver

Next

Return to Gun Chatter