>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

What firearm would be good for me?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby robalan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:01 pm

As mentioned revolvers are very easy to operate and are recommended for beginners. But if you plan to get some training and lots of practice definitely consider an autoloader. Also, it would be good if you could borrow or rent a 45 and shoot it a few times before you make your final decision. A quality 45 can be shot accurately by almost anyone willing to practice. I have small hands and the slim grip of a 1911 style is perfect for me. Laser grips are great too. They are well worth the extra money. If you plan to conceal carry consider a second gun. It is nice to have a backup and there will probably be some occasions when you will want to carry a real small gun. There are many 380s on the market that are great for those times when something bigger is just not practical.
robalan

Postby JustBen » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:57 am

I wanted to insert my humble opinion on triggers here.

At the range target shooting or in less than stressful practice scenarios, the trigger pull does make a difference. Smooth and light is really nice to have.

It is my opinion though, when in a life threatening stressful situation, your adrenaline is going to be so high, that the trigger pull is not going to matter much.

Additionally I would highly recommend keeping the old trigger finger high on the frame or even the slide. This way any inadvertant clinching of the fist in a stressful situation will not result in an accidental discharge. Having your finger on the trigger guard or not high enough might be a bad habit to get into.

There are also many different thoughts about how to reset your trigger after you fire, and what you should do next. Clearly though, knowing what you want to use the gun for and getting some top shelf training should be a top priority to get figured out.

Personally I would recommend the 38 special revolver for your personal protection. No manaul safety and you can get the one with no external hammer. Very dependable gun and little chance of an accidental discharge with that double action only trigger. You may not like practicing with it, but you will need to do some. You can also buy a different gun to practice with to make it easier and cheaper to bring your skill level up.

Good luck and happy shooting.
JustBen

Postby pastorfarley » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:47 pm

I agree with the revolver comments, and that was my personal practice (I chose double action so I could still hunt small game with my small pistols). However to say adrenaline will make up for a DA trigger that is too heavy to shoot well is exposing yourself to a potential bad situation. The other problem is smooth pull, and adrenaline will not make you smoother, it will probably add to the shake that occurs when you have too heavy a pull. To say you will increase the strength of your trigger finger with practice, and that many guns soften and smooth with age is closer to the mark.

Off topic but for Whitehood, I can cast it hard enough to reduce and maybe even eliminate leading, a little antimony helps, but the issue is what is the terminal effect of the round? I need a bullet that is flexible enough to expand well, and still have a barrel that will stand up to 50 or more rounds in a training session. It is a challenge to develop, but then that's the fun!
pastorfarley

Postby JustBen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:48 pm

I agree with pastorfarley, but just so you know what my point was on the DA revolver vs. a Glock trigger. I would not trade off smooth light trigger pull for what a DA revolver offers if I was a first time buyer with little experience.

Granted, you need to practice with your self defense gun and it will not be easy with a DA revolver, but if my wife was carrying for self defense, that is all she would carry. Reality is that adrenaline makes you super strong, so if you are practiced with the trigger like you should be, a heavier pull in a fight for your life is not going to be a real issue. If you do not practice, you might loose acurracy, but at that point should you even be carrying?

Just my personal preference and opinion here. (I carry a Glock with a 3.5 pound polished trigger).
JustBen

Postby pastorfarley » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Another issue with revolvers is first round firing. In theory a revolver should never fail to fire on the first pull of the trigger, and even if you have a defective, round another pull, a fresh cartridge and bang. But revolvers are susceptible to foreign object stoppage. The cylinder must rotate or the weapon is a short club. In a holster or empty pocket, no problem, but if you are thinking purse or pocket carry with keys, lipstick, gum wrappers etc. pack an auto.
pastorfarley

Postby BrianB » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:42 am

Not trying to be a smart ass here or anything but you have my curiosity going Pastor. Are you saying a semi-auto is less susceptible to foreign objects getting into them than a revolver or that it would fire with a foreign object in it?

Anyways, I know that a holster can be used inside a purse, and most people suggest doing so just so no foreign objects do get stuck in it or accidentally having it go off when pulling it out because something catches the trigger. So any way you slice it, a holster should be used, whether in a purse or not or with a revolver or semi-auto.
BrianB

Postby pastorfarley » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 pm

I once read a military test, I think associated with the open slide on the Baretta, comparing first shot reliability. The take away was revolvers were far more susceptible to foreign object disabling than autos. Lots of places objects of different sizes can prevent the cycling of the cylinder. Between the cylinder and the whole top strap or frame bottom, barrel cylinder gap, the area of the hand and the bolt, the face of the frame, one giant invitation for something to get in and muck up the works. But once they shoot one time, the revolvers have the second shot etc. advantage.

Autos are already in battery so no exposed parts move except safeties and triggers. The muzzle is probably the worst potential offender. Ouch! Once they fire one time they may jam up on the object, blow up on the pressure, but they will fire.

That said, a "safe action" is more dangerous in the same place - it can go bang!

Firearms need to be carried in a place where no foreign objects can interfere.
pastorfarley

Postby GOANRA » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:05 pm

What is the purpose of the sidearm? Target, squirrel hunting, home defense, concealed carry?

For a first sidearm, a revolver is best.

I have trained & qualified thousands of LEOs in my career and have never even heard of 'Foreign Object Disabling' except through abuse with dirt.

First to consider is use, then fit [try them out at the range first]. For defense, a 5 shot revolver will be the best choice for a novice as your max range will be 6 ft and a 2nd shot is VERY unlikely.

Revolvers have very few parts so there is less chance of failure.

Semi-autos have MANY parts and often fail under stress due to limp wrist in quick shooting [natural function] also a safety on a semi will be forgotten and you will die.

A good revolver is a .38 with good +P ammo.

It can be fired from a purse or pocket and maintenance is simple. A S&W 'Bodyguard' [hammerless] type would be ideal for portable self defense.

My wife is tall, skinny and weak and she began on a .38 revolver. Try one at the range and make sure you can hit a target at 30 ft before buying one. The distance will somewhat compensate for use under stress.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby neverenough » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Hey Stealthgrl26.....Pretty much a lot to consider here huh?....I agree with goanra, what is the purpose of the sidearm?

A lightweight, concealable and absolutely reliable 5 shot revolver would be my pick... IF....the purpose is peace of mind when you're out and about, at home or driving around.

All the weaponry mentioned here are excellent, no doubt. As far as your sidearm being susceptible to crappin' out due to gum, chapstick, skittles, Excedrin ( yes....this is some of the crap known to be in my pockets...), I think you will find care of your sidearm will be included with your basic training classes.

Again (as I ramble on....), base your pick on your intended desire and purpose.

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby robalan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:15 pm

I think we lost her.
robalan

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter