>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

trail gun?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby neverenough » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Yet another "Trail Gun" consideration.....A lightweight (27-28 oz.) reliable, rock solid, absolutely accurate, big bore, revolver with plenty of choices of ammo types, would be a Smith model 329 PD (.44 magnum)......I make this sugesstion, because mine has always served my trail needs very well.

So far, I have not had to deliver any rounds to a backwoods threat, but I'm comfy when it is nestled into it's vertical shoulder rig....When the light is failing, The Crimson Trace Laser setup is at the ready.

All the choices recommended below are also excellent though and as doriadiver states, if you're not able to get off a good shot......kinda leaves a 'last resort ' of lodging the gun sideways down the throat of a would be mauler!!!

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby nucofed » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm

Original poster here. "Experts" at gun ranges/stores state the 44 has excessive recoil for trail uses on animals. They suggest 40 cal or 357. They believe that the air light S and W 329 PD in the 44 is unrealistic for recoil reasonos and not strong enough to withstand the pressure of that caliber.

Some state that only a revolver is suited for the trail because it won't jam. Others state that the multiple quick shots with a smaller caliber than the 44 is best for bear and cougar due to the quicker shots. I want a caliber that will penetrate in most shooting situations on black bear sized critters.

?????? confused.

?????
nucofed

Postby neverenough » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:04 pm

With so many choices and opinions, yes confusion is part of the process! I personally like heavy recoil in a trail weapon, as it adds to the comfort level of roaming about in bear country.....and after all, being comfortable can make the difference between roaming or staying at home. The use of a Scandium frame (N frame) combined with a Titanium cylinder equates to extremely strong metalurgy properties.

I also think if and when an "attack" should unfold, I doubt being reluctant or tentative to launch a few rounds worring about felt recoil would come into play....

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby BrianB » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Like Neverenough said, any decision on what gun could be right for you and the purpose you want it for can be tough to give advice on. There are tons of opinions on what caliber would be best for what sized animals and so on. There really does not seem to be any kind of chart or formula for exactly what is best for what animal and what shooter. Everything seems to be very anecdotal.

I think the only real person that can answer the question of how much recoil is too much is you. How much can you handle? How fast can you get it back into alignment for a second or third shot? Do you know? Have you tried any of them out in the past?

I can see you don't want a big and heavy revolver and that would also make me think you don't want any kind of rifle either. A lot of people like the idea of carrying something light and small so they don't get weighed down and resent carrying it. If the time comes though that you need it, you probably are going to be wishing it was the biggest, meanest gun in the world.

Since you don't want something too heavy then I would also throw my hat in for 357, though 40 would not be a bad caliber either. The decision between the two should really just come down to how experienced you are with a handgun.

A 357 revolver can fit someone that may not be as experienced as others with a handgun but would provide a pretty decent amount of protection. Like Whitehood said, the SP101, or something similar, might be a good suggestion. Try to go with as long a barrel as you can though because your aim can be effected.

40 provides good power but would be for a semi auto. If you have experience with them then that could be a good choice and a small framed 40 can be found relatively easy.

Good luck and happy trails.
BrianB

Postby nucofed » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:31 pm

10mm was highly recommended by some folks-a glock, better than any other semi-auto, and more realistic than a 44 heavy revolver. Comments?
nucofed

Postby BrianB » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:02 am

I have read that 10mm and .40 are basically the same thing, kinda like 357 and 38 are the same though I don't believe they can be used in the same gun the way 357 and 38 can be. I don't have all the details though so maybe someone else can explain it better.

Being though that they are the same size bullet, and .40 ammo is more readily found (from what I have observed personally) then .40 would probably be a better choice.

The GLock thing, lots of people feel they are the best Semi-auto, they have a very loyal following. It is kind of reminds me of the world of motorcycle enthusiasts, some people feel that only a Harley will do and anyone that any other motorcycle is just not good enough.

Anyways, back to Glock, I can't argue with them because I have never owned or shot one. I would say though that I have handled a few at some stores and did not like the feel of them in my hand. I think that is a decision you really have to make on your own, what you feel most comfortable with. There are lots of other high quality Semi-Autos out there that have reputations just as good as Glock. Springfield and Beretta both come to mind as I see a lot of debate on which is the best between the 3. I am not trying to encourage you to stay away from Glock, you may love them, but its something you really have to decide for yourself.
BrianB

Postby Shadow74 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 pm

A 10mm would make an excellent trail gun, as long as you're comfortable with a semi auto. The only difference between the .40SW and a 10mm is the charge and case size. They do use the same bullet. The 10mm was originally developed for the FBI following the great "Miami Shootout". The 9mm they used at the time was grossly underpowered and ultimately lost them the fight because they were out gunned. But the 10mm proved to be too much for many FBI agents to handle and was scaled back to current day .40SW loads. Consider the .40SW as a 10mm Lite. You can't use the .40SW in a 10mm or vice versa.
Shadow74

Postby ulgydog56 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:28 pm

10 mm has a hole buncha, but were talking beast here, and not people, thick hides and bone you need deep penatration .357 .41..44..mag....rds..designed for it..
ulgydog56

Postby whitehood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 pm

10mm hunting rounds from Corbon and others will give you the equivalent of 357 if not better.
whitehood

Postby Shadow74 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:52 am

Hell, if you want to suggest something in your favorite wheel gun, why not just pick up a .460 or .500 Mag? Why piss around if all you want is the biggest, baddest handgun you can pack into your favorite overnight case? Everything mentioned will hurt most furry things that might sneak up on you, but if our friend from Hanford wants something that takes care of business with the first round (hopefully), keep the thirty somethings at home and consider the .460 or .500, just to be sure, lol! Those big old gnarly toothed sum bitches really hate being fukked with in their own backyard.
Shadow74

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter