>
Board Index Miscellany Local Activity

GAS or GUNS ???

Discuss local gatherings, range days, clubs, gun shows, and other social get-togethers

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:06 pm

This is a little off subject but has some relevance to it, well maybe not but it got me thinking about it.

Smith's comment about Canada's lax laws got me thinking.

IMO Canada is up there with the gun Nazi county's; I find bringing my shotguns and rifle's across the border rather easy. I dont think I'm even going to try a handgun.

Here's the usual experience:

Stop at the border, tell the customs agent what we have (usually beer, guns, atv's and that sort of stuff) and where we're headed then he has us pull over to the station for inspection. (after a brief lecture on how much beer we bring, and assuring us we have to pay duty on it)

Then 2-3 Customs agents come out ask to see our guns, verify serial numbers and ask what they are (Most of them cant seem to tell the difference between a shotgun and a rifle......) Then we go in fill out some paper work, pay our gun registration fee's and are on our way! All this takes less than an hour.

We've never been asked how much ammo we have. (And so far, we've never had to pay duty on our beer either)

Now are side of the border..... They want to ask 5,000 questions, check ID's (this year you need either a passport, passport card, NEXXUS, or an Enhanced Drivers license) see our paperwork, customs firearm registrations, ask bogus fake questions to see our response and try to catch us in a lie and overall give us a hassle before sending us on our way.
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks for the information guys. I agree that the US Customs officers are assholes. I took my daughter into Canada for lunch a couple of years ago. She didn't have any ID (she was 14) but the Canadians were cool and said go ahead. We had lunch and headed back. When we hit the border the US officers stopped us, asked for her ID and I explained the situation. That's when the fun started. Two more officers with MP5's stood on both sides of the car while a third one took my ID and went inside. The two goons with the MP5's just stood there looking at us like we were terrorists. Then the guy came back out and took my daughter out of the car and into his office. Then they had me park and get out of my car. One of the MP5's held me there while the other one kept close to my daughter. They searched her, me, the car (twice) and then asked a thousand questions, all the while trying to get us to slip up! I couldn't believe how rude and ridiculous it was. It took over an hour and was pretty hard on my daughter. It wasn't much fun for Dad either seeing his little girl being taken away by a guy with a submachine gun! I'll never make that mistake again. It still pisses me off when I think about how they treated two of their own citizens and at the same time they're letting thousands of illegals cross the borders anytime they wish. There's something wrong with that.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby smith6906 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:02 pm

i remember just in 2005 when i live in limestone ME, bout 20 min from the border, i was 20, couldnt drink in the US BUT i COULD just meander over the boarder, have a couple beers and walk back with no problems at all, never even showed ID to any customs guys, they just smiled and waved, i went yesterday to look at a WW2 1911...........canada let me in just fine, but then on the way back US customs stoped me and started asking me questions in spanish , and no matter how many time said IM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN IM AMERICAN they kept assuming i was latino *im very white and very german BTW* , finaly a supervisor came over and said "got id" i showed it to him and HE FINALY let me though............its insane
smith6906

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:20 am

That's a perfect example of the lunacy that goes on in some departments. What did those a-holes stand to gain from harrasing you with that line of questioning when they knew damn good and well that they were just messing with you? Some sort of macho alpha male crap that has no place in law enforcement is my first impression. Those kind of people have no place on the front lines. Put them in the basement for awhile in the Evidence locker until they gain some respect for people in general. They need a hell of a lot more "sensitivity" training, not to mention some additional attention toward common sense applications of the law.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:38 pm

I thought I read that now you need a Passport to enter Canada or Mexico? If so, does that also apply to our Posessions? IE: The US Virgin Islands or PR?

Smith, a local College around here has a sign advertising "Learn English as a 2nd Language!" LOL! I thought English was the *Main Language in the US? Was when I was younger anyway.

And Tig Please, Not the Evidence Locker! That is a Perk! He would walk out 100 pounds heavier!

It's a Crazy World!

tigwelder56

Postby smith6906 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

lolz at "english as a second language" ........its crazy it really is, i mean if you or tig or i were to go to mexico, we would probably bring a spanish to english translation book and at least TRY to learn spanish to accomodate the country we are in..........here out "main" language is not even attempted by most.........and when you do speak it flueantly...........the FEDS try to assume that we dont haha..............i need a vacation haha
smith6906

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:01 pm

Since this is leaning more towards a legal/political conversation, I moved my reply to the "Legal & Political" thread.

tigwelder56

Previous

Return to Local Activity