>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby coolram04 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 am

Having a mounted light on a shotgun that is easily turned on and off by a pressure switch is a good thing. You can use the light to blind a perp at the right time, but when you do be ready to react to whatever they do. They may have a gun and start shooting, so be ready. It is a really good idea to have a plan of action if someone does break into the house. Taking a good home defense class is a place to start. They will help you figure out the best course of action for your home. My next mod for my 12 gauge is a forearm grip and mounted light. I have already got the barrel shortened to 18 inches and replaced the rear stock.
coolram04

Postby Will_Carry » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:40 am

Although a shotgun is great for home defense, I choose to use a handgun in 45acp. I'm afraid a burgler will steel my shotgun while I'm at work so I keep it locked up in a safe. I keep a Glock 36 with a Crimson Trace laser guard in a hollowed out book at my bedside with an extra magazine. I keep a back up Colt 1911 also with a Crimson Trace grip, close to the bed in a hidden place. I also keep a pocket pistol handy. I don't use lights, the house never really gets that dark that I can't see. I practice shooting in the dark with and without the laser sights. I have picked up my Glock 36 and have had a dead battery, so I don't depend 100% on having anything that needs a battery to work. But when the laser grip does work, it's a big advantage in the dark. With a laser you don't have to line the sights up with your eyeball, you just put the little red dot on what you want destroyed.

I hope I never regret having a perfectly good shotgun locked in the safe.........but that's how I roll ;)
Will_Carry

Postby ulgydog56 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 pm

for mobility you can,t beat a revolver,pistol,in a confinded space .38,9mm,40.45. mag guns not a good idea,thru people and keep on going not good...............shotgun for sure will do the trick but easy to be taken away..........
ulgydog56

Postby caLvinkyle » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:36 am

For me, it can also depends on your home, if you only have small house, i guess you only need to buy a gun that is specialized for the short rage. Using the right gun which you are comfortable to used.

I found where we can purchase stun guns

http://www.weapons-universe.com/Persona ... Guns.shtml
caLvinkyle

Postby coolram04 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:21 pm

When it comes to Home Defense. You should have a plan depending on where the intruder enters the home. You need to find a spot to make a stand and where you have enough cover to hide behind. That includes making it very hard for the intruder to get close enough to disarm you. If you don't think that you can pull the trigger, when you or your families life is in danger, then don't buy a gun. Call 911 and scream like a girl....maybe the neighbors will hear you......
coolram04

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:30 pm

@coolram

That was excellent advice! Thanks!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby coolram04 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:36 pm

tigwelder,

Which part? Question for everyone. Which type of round is better for home defense and why? Hollow point or hardball?

Cocking a shotgun is the most intimidating sound and most intruders will run the other way........
coolram04

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Actually I thought all of it was well thought out! As far as a specific load, I believe that depends on the caliber. Any one using a 22 or 25 should be using FMJ rounds. A HP will dump more of it's energy in the target. Where a FMJ typically won't. However they do have deeper penetration. As far as shotgun loads, I prefer OO or #4 Buck.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby coolram04 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Tigwelder,

Nicely put. Hollow Points in any caliber is best for defense even while carrying, because it looses most of its energy upon impact. A Hardball round has a better chance of going all the way through and hitting someone else.

Shotguns. Most people will shoot until the intruder is on the floor, so any type of load will do. There have been studies that show even cops that discharge their firearms can't for 100% certainty tell u how many rounds that they fire.

So the best advice I can give no matter the firearm.

"I SHOT UNTIL THE THREAT IS NO LONGER PRESENT!!!"

and that is what you would tell the judge, lawyer and jury.
coolram04

Postby robalan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:52 pm

I think JHP is the most likely load you will need, but it is not a bad idea to have some FMJ on hand too.
robalan

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter