>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Need Advice for Home Defense

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby ulgydog56 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:15 pm

whitehood .41 mag what a sweet wheel gun,your right it does the job of 2 cals. a great hunting gun.sorry for getting off topic................
ulgydog56

Postby coolram04 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Torgo. I do agree with what you said. I hate to say this on the other hand. Whatever you choose for a home defense weapon think about this. Do you know what is beyond your target? It doesn't matter if you are trying to save you or your families life there are people out there that would sue you for everything you own over a accident. I know that I would feel bad if someone accidently got injured or worse because of a stray shot. You would have a better chance to winning the lottery, but it could happen. Do what you need to do, but be smart about it.

Whitehood? Let me heard what you have to say about birdshot. Unless the intruder is wearing a bulletproof vest, he or she is DEAD!!!!
coolram04

Postby Blackrifle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:07 am

Sure, birdshot which comes in many flavors can kill you. I think the key thought here is why you would want to when there are so many better options available? It just doesn't make sense to use something that isn't designed for defense or tactical purposes. There are 00 and slug loads that will provide safe levels of penetration when used in an area where over penetration isn't desired. If you didn't look at Tigs website recommendation, you should. It provides ballistic gelatin comparisons of several shotgun loads and will give you a reason to rethink birdshot for self defense. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 Do you want to shred them or stop them? It takes a very long time for someone to bleed to death from a superficial wound. The chance of that happening with birdshot is much higher. When you may have only one shot to stop an attacker, why not use the best choice available? Just a thought.....
Blackrifle

Postby coolram04 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:05 am

Here is the exact words at that link.

Before you begin to read this realize that all of these shots were taken from a known distance and angle into bare Ordinance Gelatin in a controlled environment.

This does not take into consideration the effects clothing, weather, range, temperature, cover, or body structure.

Here is another fact. Have you ever heard of someone that fired a firearm in selfdefense or a cop on duty that only fired ONE SHOT.

You shoot until the threat is no longer present, so even with a 380acp or a 44 mag. You can't tell me that you will only fire one shot.

Even my criminology professor said that same thing.

I can see your point if the person only used a single shot firearm, which that isn't a good home defense weapon in the first place.

Most people went threaten will fire until the gun is empty. Your average hunting shotgun holds three shells.......

Want to try again?
coolram04

Postby Blackrifle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:21 am

No, there's no reason to "try again". I certainly don't want or need to compete with your criminology professor! Your question regarding knowledge of a situation that resulted in a single shot being fired, is easy. Yes, I have. It's amazing how fast a bad guy will drop when shot in the head with a "single shot"! Have you experienced that? When you have, let me know and we can share stories. I think you failed to comprehend what I said McCool, let me remind you just this once.

"I think the key thought here is why you would want to when there are so many better options available? It just doesn't make sense to use something that isn't designed for defense or tactical purposes."

I also wanted to point out one of your comments regarding these tests. Here is what you said:

Before you begin to read this realize that all of these shots were taken from a known distance and angle into bare Ordinance Gelatin in a controlled environment.

This does not take into consideration the effects clothing, weather, range, temperature, cover, or body structure.

Don't you think if you are trying to support your statement that birdshot is a good defense load, you would want to find some supporting information? Those tests were performed in a controlled environment, good brands of ammunition and damn, they even fired those test rounds from point blank range! Considering that and your previous statement that these shots were all staged in perfect conditions, without clothing, obstacles or anything else, SHOULD give proof that birdshot was a strong performer, right? Tell me then, if everything was in favor of the birdshot's performance, why didn't it just blow that gelatin away? If logic tells me anything, if you added some clothing, obstacles, lousy weather and lets throw in a bone or two, that birdshot you're so enthralled with would've performed even worse. DUH!!!!!!! (Hurts when you shoot yourself in the foot, huh?)

At no time did I say your idea was wrong, just that if you have a choice, there are better options available. Now please don't talk to me like I'm some school boy with no experience and I won't have to speak with you in that manner either. Thank you.
Blackrifle

Postby coolram04 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:58 am

Blackrifle. First, I am glad that you survived the experience. May I ask why you chose to shoot for the head instead of center mass?

My "So Called" comment was the first thing on the link that you posted. If they were fired from point blank range, then why didn't the other loads do more damage?

I would like to see them hang pigs and shoot from more than point blank.

I am glad to say that the one time that someone broke into my home, they didn't stay long. I assumed that it was someone that was looking for valuables to use to purchase drugs. They ran out the back door after I said "I have a gun", then cocked the shotgun.

If people really what to know how to defend their homes. They should take a Certified Home Defense Class. There are alot of easy things that can be done to make it harder for people to get into their homes. ADT is good for the dumb burglars.
coolram04

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:22 pm

I will say this, in a emergency(no choice on shot at pointe blank range a 20 or 12ga blast just the wad and charge alone is brutal let alone the shot bb,4,6,7,whatever.but there are some better choices.............
ulgydog56

Postby Blackrifle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 pm

ADT is for "Dumb Burglars"? I've got my house redundantly wired and one thing I did was install ultra high decibel alarms. When they go off, unless you've got your hearing protection handy you can't do anything but haul ass. It's painful and even the smart burglars won't like it. And yes, it's also painful for me and those inside but the difference is, I'm expecting it and he isn't.
Blackrifle

Postby wyf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:07 am

this is a little off topic but what do you all think of the ghostring rear and fiberoptic front sights on tactical/home defense shotguns.

for home defense 12 ga shotgun and handgun why settle on one?
wyf

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:00 am

I don't feel that a ghost ring sight is your best choice in a home environment. First consider your overall light and how much you have or don't have available. If your ghost ring set up is your primary sight, what are you planning to use when it's pitch black? You're going to use either instinct or a secondary light. If you were depending on that ghost ring set up for low light targeting, your odds were just drastically reduced or eliminated. I hope you have a secondary plan!

Tell us about it and we'll be able to continue!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Gun Chatter