>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Lighter Springs

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Postby ExLimey » Wed May 02, 2007 8:34 pm

I stove piped all 15 rounds in a mag that was loaded with 4 grains of Unique. My Dad was able to shoot them out of his Ruger (their spring is 3 lbs less.)

New springs aren't here yet, but should be here tomorrow or Friday.
ExLimey

Postby ExLimey » Sun May 20, 2007 8:38 pm

So I got a lighter trigger spring from Wolff Springs for my Colt King Cobra. Wanted to shoot double-action in competitions and wanted an easier trigger pull.

I went to the range today to sight it in using lighter than normal loads and the trigger/hammer is so light it won't set off the primers in double action consistently. First six shots I had to pull the trigger about 15 times to get them to all go off. The rest of the test was done single-action and I had no problems whatsoever.

Seems strange it will work SA but not DA.
ExLimey

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Are you firing 357's or 38's? That is strange that it'll fire in SA mode and not DA. You must've put a very light spring in it. What was the factory spring weight and what weight are you having trouble with? There's a gunsmith on the board and if I can get in touch with him I'll need that info. My first and only thought is that DA doesn't demand or provide the weight that the SA mode provides. Which would lead me to believe that you've gone just below the minimum required spring weight. Have you tried bumping up the spring weight to the next heaviest? You're going to end up with a box full of springs!! Let me know ---

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ExLimey » Sun May 20, 2007 10:11 pm

The kit from Wolff came with the following:

a 10 lb hammer spring and a reduced power (doesn't say how strong it is) trigger spring.

After installation the trigger return feels 'jerky' and I don't like it at all, but this reduced pak was advertised for "improved double action trigger performance."

I'm wondering if I just put the factory hammer spring back in it will solve the issues?

I was able to practice the timed shoot today by doing it single action. I had no problems completing the firing within the time limits.
ExLimey

Postby ExLimey » Sun May 20, 2007 10:18 pm

I was shooting reloaded .357s, but I don't think that matters. The primers weren't CCI (the range master asked that first.)

I just noticed while I was cleaning it that the hammer comes back further when it's cocked and, therefore, has a little more forward movement when fired SA.

Still wondering if I replace the 10 lb hammer spring with the factory spring that that will solve the DA issue?
ExLimey

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun May 20, 2007 11:37 pm

I sent your posts and our previous discussions on the springs to my gunsmith buddy. Hopefully he'll get it soon and shed some light on this! Talk to you soon....

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Previous

Return to Gun Chatter