>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

what does the term carbine reference

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

what does the term carbine reference

Postby hershey » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:33 am

i/e is there a difference between 223, and 223 carbine? thanx
hershey

Postby qncy_blw » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:48 pm

A carbine is a rifle with a shorter barrel, typically 16 inches to about 20. Orginally designed for use by calvalrymen, full sized rifles were too unwieldy for effective fighting on horseback. Carbines today are used as brush guns or when one desires to have a handy less cumbersome weapon in rough terrain. Some of my favorite carbines are the Winchester 1892 and 1894, Marlin 1894 and Ruger PC4.
qncy_blw

Postby agonist » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:09 am

The carbine AR15 has also seen much action in our present involvement in urban Iraq. During WWII many servicemen and MPs not stationed in foward areas were issued the M1 .30 carbine. The short barrelled rifle was easy handling and easy to shoot well for less combat hardened soldiers and more easily adaptable to different types of combat in areas where there was the potential for fighting but not the constant threat.

If youre looking at a specific brand of firearm chambered for .223, do some research on accuracy of both the rifle and carbine versions. If accuracy is comparable, my preference would be for the carbine as it would be somewhat more compact and easier handling. Recoil on a .223 is not sufficienly reduced by the longer barrel.
agonist

Return to Gun Chatter