>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

RACK & RACK AGAIN?

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

RACK & RACK AGAIN?

Postby g4l » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:47 am

I was wondering if re-racking the same bullet causes any damage, Ive read that it could be the problem behind some of the 40.cal explosions do to pushing the bullet farther into the case, but it wasnt conclusive. Has anyone ever encountered a problem from this, should I rotate? What do you guys do?
g4l

Postby CONT2 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:07 pm

Not sure I get what youre saying glock.If you rack two times in a row, wouldnt you extract the first bullet? If you rack a rd. and then take the clip out then rack again, youre gonna extract the bullet thats in the chamber. If the clip is out theres nothing to put in the chamber....

Maybe Im misunderstanding what youre asking....
CONT2

Postby g4l » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:41 pm

No,no Cont2, when I leave my house, Ill put one in the chamber, when I come home, Ill take it out and put it back in the mag, now the next time I rack will be the same round again-you see what Im saying? Now I read this could potentially force the bullet down the case just a tad increasing the pressure when fired. What Im asking is do you guys rotate the rounds or do you rack the same one over and over? I think that might describe it better.
g4l

Postby CONT2 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:19 am

I get it now...Yes, I put the same rd. back in the mag. Never had a problem. When I go to the range, that rd. is the first one I fire. Ive never heard of such a dilemma but its worth looking in to. Ill ask my expert friend and get back to you...
CONT2

Postby shot4funinsun » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:52 am

Glock, why dont you insert one round in the chamber, release your slide and out a full mag in. hence the 10+1 or whatever your mag carries.
shot4funinsun

Postby CONT2 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:18 am

Glocks4life, my buddy says he doesnt see what damage it would but he also says that unloading the mag once per week would help release some strain off the mag spring. That way, you can reload the mag in a different order 1x per week. Youd just have to pay attention to which rd was first out of the mag. Ill start doing that myself...
CONT2

Postby g4l » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:44 pm

ya I normally switch mags once a week anyway just for that reason. I shoot off the carry rounds at the range and put fresh ones in, but havent been to the range in a couple weeks. I only read that about the 40.cal round in the Glock. Oh and to respond to SHOT4FUN; I never carry the +1, my gun is chambered 90% of the time when I go out but some situations I prefer it not so I put the round back in the mag. Thanks for the advice.
g4l

Postby Vagabond » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:24 am

Stands to reason. If you rechamber the same round from the mag time after time, the possibility exists that eventually the bullet will be forced further into the case, potentially creating higher than normal pressure; possibly damaging the firearm or you.

Reload the mag so that the top round is different . occasionally.
Vagabond

Postby XXOXX » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:44 am

You dont want to put a round in the chamber and release the slide. That pinches the extractor -- which is designed to catch the rim of the case as it comes up under the extractor from the magazine, with the slide pushing the round into the breech.

Good ammo shouldnt allow the bullet to move back into the case just from racking. Bullets get driven into the cases from recoil, but good ammo shouldnt allow that either.

If your defense ammo is six months old, you need to shoot it and get new. Old ammo is fine for the range, not for carry.
XXOXX

Return to Gun Chatter