>
Board Index Getting Started New Gun Owners

Gun Shopping How-To

A place for people new to the firearm community to ask questions.

Postby robalan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Yes, rifles are used for long distance. If you only have enough money to buy one weapon and you need to hunt a rifle can be for home defense. Otherwise a pistol or two makes great home defense.
robalan

Postby Gloc9mm » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 pm

MIK3- One thing I'd never do is ask the Gun Store help for recommendations on good weapons. I have found at least in my area that I have heard them recommend what they are earning the most on, which is not always a good pick.

Do your homework either here or elsewhere before you decide, but have a few choices ready as not all guns are good for everyone. For example, I'm a small guy and some don't work as well for me as they do for others.

Good Luck!
Gloc9mm

Postby grotto213 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:46 am

I buy my guns at gun shows. Fins them here: http://www.gunshowsnow.com
grotto213

Re: Gun Shopping How-To

Postby GOANRA » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Long guns are a poor choice for home defense.
e.g. If you are eating your supper and the doorbell rings, you open the door with a shotgun in your hand... it will 'scare-the-begeesus' out of the little girlscouts selling cookies, whom will go crying to their daddy, who will send the police to your house, arrest you for assault, confiscate ALL your firearms, go to jail to wait for the judge, then get bailed-out to await sentencing.

You will need to pay an attorney $10,000. to avoid prison, pay a $5000. fine, no carry permt or hunting license ever again and a felony convicton that will preclude you from ever owning a firearm or ammunition ever again.

If you live in State that is not 'gun-friendly', it will be much worse.

A side arm, that can be slipped into your rear pocket is much more logical and less threatening to others.
A good 5 shot snubbie revolver is a fine choice for someone's first defensive firearm.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby JustBen » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Balistically a shotgun is good, but practicality is bad. Handling a large gun like that is not viable in a home combat situation. You cannot reholster to do other activities, or shoot it well with only one hand. Much easier to have taken away from you as well. A handgun with a small hand held flashlight is the way to go.
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

For Home Defense, think of leaving your wife, daughters home alone with one weapon available.
Do you want them standing in the doorway with a long gun, having a discussion with some unknown perp? Could they be fooled by a street-savvy, parolee... "who just seemeed so nice"?

I have answered countless 911 calls in the Detroit area like that, but most who even had a firearm, left it on their nightstand, in their safe, sock drawer, etc.
Some were robbed, others were robbed-raped-killed. Plus everything in between.

I had a teenage daughter whom I tactically trained, from 'eye-contact' to sidearm proficiency, but I always knew she would never pull the trigger, period. She's still that way.

Not surprising, I have come across several LEOs who learned they just couldn't 'pull-the-trigger' and, always at the most importune times. (not the ones I'd have guessed, either)
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby jamesward » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:29 am

that nice to hear,cause i wanted to buy a hand guns, like 45calliver hand gun.
i like the photos of weapons you post, i like to buy pm me for faster transaction,
An advertising agency is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission.
Fred Allen Collections of bowie knives
jamesward

Postby GOANRA » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 pm

James, Welcome to the site. We are not 'selling' at this point, but may be later.

If you are interested in buying a firearm, check your Local Gun Store or an online gun dealer like http://www.budsgunshop.com or just type the make and model you are interested in and enter that info into any search engine on your PC.

Feel free to ask any questions, and remeber that proper training is essential to owning any firearm.
Many gun ranges allow you to rent certain models of firearm ($5. - $10. + ammo), to help you decide what is best for you.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Previous

Return to New Gun Owners